Wedding Albums-Frustrated!

Online Users: 1,276 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 9

KBbride Posts : 4 Registered: 12/10/09
Wedding Albums-Frustrated!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 2:29 PM

Has anyone gone later and created an album from another source? Possibly someone who can just make the album, not necessarily the Photographer. Is it worth it? Is it expensive? We like the photographs that this one photographer takes, but his pricing is too high for albums. We want the best photos we can and feel we shouldn't risk poor photo's to get the full package at the right price. Any thoughts??? Anyone in the New Jersey/New York Area have any places they can suggest??

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Wedding Albums-Frustrated!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: KBbride

ABsolutely worth it! Will the photographer give you a disc with high resolution images of everything with your package? If you get that, you can easily make an album yourself and they are easy, and I think turn out really well. My SIL used snapfish, and the album was really, really nice! She gave my mom one for Christmas. We made one also, and it turned out great so we also made one with our honeymoon pics.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 8:20 AM Go to message in response to: KBbride

It is sooo much fun and less expensive to create your own album. I'm making my own myself and will probably make one for the parents too. It's really easy to make. A website that I like to go to is www.shutterfly.com. But there are TONS of other websites out there that will let you create your own album. Just use google, it's your friend lol. I think even pharmacy's like Walgreens and Walmart has an option on their website where you can create your own.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

NicoleN1101 Posts : 44 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 8:33 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I agree with PP, with all the websites out there where you can create your own it's silly to pay the photographer to do they exact same thing. Even walgreens & CVS have websites you can build one on, or you can take your photos into the stores, scan them in, and create one. If you don't have the digital photos on cd or your computer. But most photographers these days give you a cd or email the shots, etc.
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: KBbride

I made albums for my aunts who I am very close to and it was absolutely worth it. I used Kodak Gallery. I combined some of the pics from the photographer and some that were really lovely shots taken by family. I think I paid about $45 total for 2 albums with about 30 pictures each.

I would just check with the photographer to make sure you have the rights to reproduce the photos or share them with others.

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: KBbride

As long as you can get a CD from your photographer with high-res photos, you can make your own album easily. I have used iPhoto to make albums in the past and they always turned out great. I have heard good things about Snapfish as well. One of the cool things about the iPhoto albums is that the price per album goes down if you order add'l albums- say for your parents/wedding party/other relatives, etc.

You could also just have the photos printed out at Walgreens or something and do your own scrapbook-style wedding album. And, if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, you still have the CD of photos to try again! :)

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

While there are plenty of sites out there to create your own album, please remember you do get what you pay for. The quality of the albums from sites like Shutterfly and the like do not compare with even the least expensive album from many photographers. Please understand I am not advocating one product over another, I'm just trying to give you the information you need to make an informed decision.

First, most consumer albums are press printed albums which means the photos are printed on the paper, like a book. Meanwhile, most photographers offer wedding albums printed on photopaper which is then afixed to the album pages. The album pages are thicker than a consumer book. Another advantage is professional albums have each and every image color corrected and touched up for the album. That might not be the case with the files you receive from your photographer. The photographer might take a first pass at color/exposure correction. However, due to the time it takes to completely retouch a photo, most photographers don't undertake this task until they know the photo will be printed. Therefore, the images you put in your consumer album will not have the same finished appearance as those in a professional album. Finally, some professional album companies will individually correct each image in the album to make sure they have the exact same color cast. That is simply not done with a consumer album.

With all of that said, there is one album company (that I'm aware of) which offers a consumer option. Sommerset albums is the consumer division of Tuscany Albums which is provided directly to photographers. Another option available to you with your professional photographer would be ask for a custom quote on a smaller album or a printed press book. With all of that said, I certainly do understand in today's economy, some people simply have no other option but to create their own albums.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

KBbride Posts : 4 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thank You all for your advice I am familiar with Shutterfly and use it all the time. However, i'm looking for a more formal/finished quality album. If anyone knows of any other locations, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: KBbride

As I mentioned in my PP, check out Sommerset albums.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

AudreyLiu Posts : 8 Registered: 4/1/10
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: KBbride

I hear you. Albums are ridiculously expensive. Our photog offered us the coffee table/flush mount albums for far less than what all the other studios we saw charged. Still it was out of our budget so we couldnt get them. however, our photog gave us a good idea which was to get the albums later (for an anniversary or holiday gift). Same deal for the parents' albums.

You should think about a couple of things though:

1. Is your place going to charge you for the CD? If so, it may cost you more in the end to do it yourself.

2. If you decide to get the albums later like we did, will it still be the same price? Try talking to them... they could work something out for you like ours did.

Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine