The Wait is Killing Me!

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

waiting2bemrs Posts : 9 Registered: 3/22/10
The Wait is Killing Me!
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 2:02 PM

Like my subject says, the wait is killing me! My BF told me the other day that he was planning on proposing soon but is waiting for the perfect time. While his mother and I were out shopping we stopped by a jewelry store to get her ring re-sized and while we were there she got my finger sized too. "Just curious" she said... and then 'oohed' and 'ahhed' over some really pretty rings and asked my opinion saying she and her husband were thinking of renewing their vows and getting new rings. She wasn't being to secretive about it, it was obvious she was gathering information for her son - even introducing me to the salesman as her 'future daughter-in-law'. I know the question is coming soon, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the last time the two of us visited my parents, when my BF pulled my father to the side, he was asking permission.

So, how soon is soon? I kept trying to ask my BF to give me a hint and all he said was "Soon!" I am driving myself crazy! I am trying to think of the perfect time, but we have nothing special coming up. No plans, no weekend getaways, no special dates, birthdays, etc. The only things I have on my calendar are dentist appointments, and a trip to the vet to get our puppy his shots. The closest thing I can think of is in July, which is his birthday, then nothing again until December. I guess that could be soon? Argh! I hate how 'soon' could mean anything, depending on how the person views the word.

I am so excited, and its even harder because I feel like everyone around me knows when it is going to happen! I keep telling myself not to think about it... but that isn't working out to well for me. I even caught myself daydreaming while grading my students' papers and browsing stores picking out items for our registry! At least I haven't started picking out dresses...

Worst thing is, I think my BF likes seeing me get all excited and "Eeeee!" about it. If building up the excitement is part of his plan, it is working.

Help! All you ladies who've been in this situation, how did you keep your sanity while waiting?

Edited by: waiting2bemrs on Mar 22, 2010 2:30 PM
(I just read ChrisBride's thread and it made me think, do you think it might be that he is waiting for his tax refund?)

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Re: The Wait is Killing Me!
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:25 AM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

...welcome to the "waiting for the Ring" section

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:21 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Yes, I figured this was the perfect place. So many people who can sympathize with me. The waiting game - especially when you know it is coming - is a mixture of terrible anxiety and excitement!

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

I am also going kinda... sorta... nutty. My co-workers would joke psychotic.

My BF has already asked me to request as much vacation time as I can in May for an "engagement trip." We should be getting engaged before the vacation. This is kind of an "engagementmoon." The big surprise (since I had to put in a vacation request) is that I won't know where we are flying to until we get to the airport!

I say, I've been waiting for seven years! I deserve a romantic vacation!

LOnDZ Posts : 57 Registered: 6/10/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2010 8:29 PM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

Welcome, waiting. I, too, am waiting for it. It could be anytime now as we've talked about it for a long time. We've been together for 3 and a half years, so I'm going nutty too. It's possible to enjoy your relationship and still be nutty too. Who said you can't have both??

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

i'm not going crazy... yet because i know he hasn't bought the ring. I showed him pictures of rings I liked and we talked about what I look for in a ring. He even asked costs so i think he will propose sometime after his next paycheck. I'm excited but not yet crazy although sometimes i have this burst of excitement while i'm driving or something. I start dancing and smiling so much that i wonder what the people in the car next to me are thinking lol

ChrisBride Posts : 33 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 1:19 AM Go to message in response to: turtle2

God at least you've still got some of your sanity left! I'm over here going crazy! I know the ring's bought he keeps trying to tell me it won't be ready till June though I know it'll be sooner. He told his parents and is telling mine tomorrow it's like I know it's coming just get here already!! But then I realize that I want to see what romantic thing he does and the waiting doesn't hurt as much anymore lol
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MzMorena Posts : 11 Registered: 3/4/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

Ahhhhhhhhh finally somewhere, where i can relate too. Dont you hate that word, "SOON". Its driving me nuts! Ok so this is the deal for me. We have done all the wedding talk. We decided on a small intimate wedding. We even agree on a date. Oct 1st, 2011. I already have my MOH and bridesmaids. Noooooooooooww where is that ring??? I dont want to go all out and let people know we are getting married till he propose. My MOH is my best friend, but i also told her to keep in the down low, till we make it official. But all this Soon Soon SOON is driving me crazy!!!

Wow...that felt good! Sorry future Brides. Guess i had to Vent!

Future Mrs. Arreola

save the date

sunnydrea Posts : 1 Registered: 4/13/10
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

I know exactly how you feel. I know it's coming! He did go so far as to tell one of my best friends (a seamstress) that the wedding will be in 2011. He jokes about paying down a current credit union loan so that he can purchase a ring for someone. The anxiety is more than I can stand, so I have just started looking at things and trying to make some preliminary plans without getting ahead of myself or spending money.

Waiting on Soon too!

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: sunnydrea

Yes, I absolutely hate that word "soon". And it is getting worse... he's started asking me what my plans are for certain weeks out of different months. The earliest being next May. Of course I start thinking "Oh, could he be planning something?" Obviously he isn't telling me anything, or giving me more hints, and when I ask he just kisses me and says "Soon." and gives me that sly little smile of his. About two weeks ago we were watching TV and a wedding commerical came on... I think that one for Tuxedos, where they say "When everyone will be looking at her, she will be looking at you."... and he put his arm around me, kissed my cheek and said, "That will be us soon." That kind of makes me sad, because if he thinks we'll be having the wedding soon... and I've already expressed I want at least a year to plan it... then his "soon" expands as far as a year.

And to top it off, I was organizing his desk space the other day and I found a credit card receipt from a jewelry store. My heart fluttered a little, and I got myself all excited. Then I realized it was the receipt from Christmas when he bought me my earrings and necklace. I am glad I found it, though. I need the receipt to take it in and get it fixed if it ever breaks. So, I guess something good came out of that disappointment. Hehe.

On a side note... I just realized, when I get married, I am going to have to change my screenname.

LLAquarius Posts : 5 Registered: 3/9/10
Posted: Apr 19, 2010 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: waiting2bemrs

I am glad that I am not the only one that is having those feelings. The funny thing is that no matter what we find ourselves to get busy the thoughts always come down to the proposal.

There is no way to stop thinking of it and dont you think its so cruel that they like to torture us?
My boyfriend took me ring shopping on valentines day and he let me pick the one i liked the best. He was laughing at me because he asked me what i liked and of course like any other girl i picked a 2carat. He said dont you think thats too big? and i smiled.

He bought it right there on the spot and they even let me try it on ( i have a picture that I cant stop looking at LOL) but thats the last i saw of it. that was 2 months ago. And he still hasnt proposed.
Like you I have no major things coming up so it makes it even harder to try to imagine when it would be.

So i know how you feel!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine