traveling with DW centerpieces

Online Users: 1,316 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 5

lachapstickfana... Posts : 5 Registered: 1/7/10
traveling with DW centerpieces
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 2:03 PM

Hello,

I am getting married in Jamaica and deorating the table or getting centerpieces is really expensive at the resort. The point of this wedding was for it to be a bit more budget friendly and this is just out of my price range. Sooooo, its time to get creative. I was thinking about bringing supplies/centerpieces with me and doing it there. Something to do while hanging out on the beach. There are just a few requirements:

1. Ease of travel - they need to be able to get into my suitcase and not be so heavy
2. Inexpensive
3. Not too much time to put it together when we get there
4. Won't blow around (can me mounted) if the reception is on the beach

I asked the WC what is on the table if you decided not to pay for decorations and she said that everything is just white and there is no centerpiece. So I think I should stick with white and ivory decorations.

I was thinking about making a bunch of mini tissue poms and stacking them in a glass bowl or something like that.

Any ideas you can give me would be great! Thanks!

"a girl should be two things: classy and fabulous"

- Coco Chanel 

www.lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com 

FutureMrsKlein Posts : 164 Registered: 5/2/09
Re: traveling with DW centerpieces
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

What about some seashells on the tables? I've never been to Jamaica so I can't be a ton of help.

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 1:15 AM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

seashells would be nice... like starfish... you can lay them on the table or angle them up on the side near the glass bowl? Floating candles would be nice too - they are lite and all you need is something shallow to put some water in. If its deep enough - you can put some shells in the water to lay on the bottom of the bowl/dish.

You may want to check on shipping them to Jamaica so you don't have to use your limited luggage space on the centerpieces.
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 6:15 AM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

I'm going to tell you the same thing my art teacher used to tell me - KEEP IT SIMPLE!

In other words, work with what you've got locally, once you land in Jamaica. Sand, seashells, starfish, etc. off the beach. Hit up the local souvenir stands (might be a tad expensive at first, but haggle!) for other fun little trinkets you can use in the centerpieces: fishnet, seaweed art, anything else that peaks your curiousity. You know what you like. Candles, candles, candles! Candles make a centerpiece look well thought out, and can be the support pillar for the entire thing. I guarantee that the venue has bowls/baskets/buckets nearby that you could borrow.

Traveling with larger things is difficult, particularly if it's international, so... Unless it's able to be disassembled and folded up, I'd suggest leaving it at home.

Here are some ideas, just remember, be creative!

http://www.barillaus.com/Home/PublishingImages/shell_center_WEB_LARGE_72dpi_p6087797.jpg

http://i.ehow.com/images/a05/f2/s2/bring-beach-home-seashell-centerpiece-800X800.jpg

http://www.local-i-dos.com/ArticleImages/3143297.jpg

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_260840ZLC_no_title.jpg

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

That 2nd one it beautiful!
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Isn't it? And it's so simple, that's part of the beauty behind it. It looks gorgeous while still being practically effortless. All it requires is a glass bowl, sand, a candle, and whatever seashells you can find on the beach or in local gift stands.

The last one is my personal favorite. But it does require many, many more seashells.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine