Bridal Shower - Hold the wrapping paper

Online Users: 1,327 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Re: Bridal Shower - Hold the wrapping paper
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 11:44 PM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

If they are registered for towels... wrap it in a towel from the registry. I did this for a friend once and she loved it.

As for how to connect it - I used saftey pins.
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

hljanes Posts : 57 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

To save time?

I thought the whole purpose of a bridal shower was to open your gifts in
front of your guests so they can see everything you received??? LOL

Actually, the thread where I saw this come up before was about someone whose shower hostess didn't want to make people sit through opening all the gifts. Someone replied with this as a solution, saying that they'd seen it before because they went to a shower that was supposed to be more green.

But, I agree. The gifts are kind of the point of the shower.

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 1:24 PM Go to message in response to: hljanes

All wrapping paper I have bought says inside "made from recycled paper." I really don't know what the brides problem is but I am wrapping my gift in recycled paper.

I do like wrapping in newspaper too. I wrapped my FH's Valentines Day gift in the Ads for stores (because the ads were red with hearts and flowers on them). He thought I bought Valentines Day wrapping paper for him LOL

Thanks for everyones opinions on this!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Eh, I really wouldn't think twice about it. Now that you've all pointed it out, I guess it is rather presumptuous to tell guests how to wrap gifts, but if I was told to do so for a shower, I don't think it would bother me. I'd probably put it in a reusable gift bag. Or order it from the registy and get it shipped there (without the gift wrap option) so that it arrives in a shipping box and I don't need to deal with it at all.

I don't think it highlights the differences in what people have spent any more than a regular shower does. Personally, I've always felt awkward at showers when the guest of honor opens all the gifts. Not only is it boring (Ok - you've outed me. I don't like showers. I try my hardest to have a scheduling conflict when invited to them), but it's awkward comparing how much everybody spent (because you always have some idea). It sucks to have the cheapest gift, but it's also kind of awkward when the only person who spent more than you is the woman's mom.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Yep, totally agree. My favorite showers have been ones where the woman doesn't bother opening the gifts at all - which has only happened at baby showers, mostly.

As for recycling wrapping paper and such. . .the issue is the first step of going green is reduce. Then you reuse, then you recycle. Also, generally, not all wrapping paper is recyclable. See here: http://www.recyclenow.com/what_can_i_do_today/can_it_be_recycled/paper_products/wrapping_paper.html

Still, this does sorta fall into that nuisance area of going green -- like when your hotel tells you to conserve energy by re-using your sheets and towels (for me, fresh sheets and towels are the luxury of being at a hotel!). It also falls into that category of well-intentioned people telling you what to do with your money. Another baby shower example -- lately they all want me to buy books for gifts or books instead of cards. This was nice the first time. Now, I'm getting annoyed. And I'm seeing the books that people end up getting. . .and a lot of them are pretty bad, honestly. Or, you end up with 10 copies of The Giving Tree.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Still, this does sorta fall into that nuisance area of going green -- like when your hotel tells you to conserve energy by re-using your sheets and towels (for me, fresh sheets and towels are the luxury of being at a hotel!).

That's just about my #1 hotel pet peeve at the moment. I don't mind if the sheets don't get changed every day, but I want fresh towels, thanks. I'm not reusing a towel that DH left on a hotel bathroom floor, and I don't care how much they try to guilt-trip me into it.

Speaking of guilt-tripping people into going green, I had an interesting experience at a restaurant a couple weeks ago. The restaurant is farmer-owned and all about sustainable foods and general earthy-crunchyness. Now, I'm totally for all that stuff, but I find it a little obnoxious when people or establishments shove it in your face - and I can't help making fun of it, so I was joking about everything from organic toilet paper to sustainable vodkas before our waiter even came over. When he showed up, he told us all the sustainable specials and why they were good for us and the environment, and then informed us that it happened to be Unicef World Water week, and in a show of support, a $1 donation per person would be added to our bill for tap water...if that was Ok with us. Now I don't have a problem with charitable donations, nor did I mind the $3 extra on our bill, but I don't like being told that I will be donating to something, in a judgy tone of voice that will make me look like a cheapass if I refuse. So caught between wanting to refuse just for the principle of the thing and not really wanting to make a fuss over $3, we just let it go. A few minutes later, the waiter returned with our drinks, and one of my friends had ordered a Diet Coke, which came in a tiny glass bottle. At this point, I couldn't hold in my smartass comment, so I asked whether it would be better for the environment for them to have fountain Diet Coke rather than serving tons of tiny bottles...and I got a lecture on high fructose corn syrup and how they don't want to encourage their guests to consume it. But I learned something. Apparently Diet Coke is made with regular sugar in Mexico, but they do not import it because their squeaky-clean feet don't leave that much of a carbon footprint. The food was good, but our waiter was really a pretentious jerk. But the point of the story was the mandatory $3 Unicef donation that you'd feel like an ass for refusing, but you want to refuse just because you don't like other people telling you how to donate your money.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

How obnoxious, Art. Every time somebody says something to me about it's "all natural," I'm tempted to answer, "So is horseshit." There's an article in today's LA Times about Alice Waters, and how obnoxious some people find the whole "holier than thou" aspect of the green movement. One of the PP's said something about saving wrapping paper by having the gift shipped--so then there's the extra cardboard box, maybe those styrofoam pebbles, not to mention the gasoline in the delivery truck (or airplane!), etc. I support making an effort to reduce our mindless consumption, but really, how do I calculate the difference between recycled wrapping paper vs. shipping vs. wrapping in a newspaper (which not everyone even gets anymore)? And what about putting all of those poor people at the card and wrapping store out of business? Should I care about them too? I'm sooo confused----aaaaagh!@
myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine