Bridesmaid Dresses

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 13

MRG Posts : 3 Registered: 1/30/10
Bridesmaid Dresses
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:38 PM

I was thinking of having my bridesmaids just follow a color palatte and choose a dress that fits their body the best. What does everyone think of not having the bridesmaids be matching in the same gown. Messy? Trashy? Disaster?

Colelle Posts : 48 Registered: 6/21/09
Re: Bridesmaid Dresses
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: MRG

Well I'm having my bridesmaids pick any tea-length dress they want as long as its in a darker greenish color. I don't care about the exact shade or fabric. I've had my mom and sister protest, but my bridesmaids are pretty happy. They're picking really cute dresses that fit them and that they can wear more than once, and that fit their budget.

I think not being so matchy-matchy is great--modern, trendy, and a bit more realistic and not as 'fake' feeling to me.

So I say go for whatever you want.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: MRG

I chose a color from David's Bridal and told my girls to choose a long dress in that color. They had over 12 dresses to choose from - and they loved it. They were all in different dresses but they alllooked great.

In fact, because no ONE person stood out as not looking good in their dress - some people didn't even realize that they were in different dresses.

So I'm of the opinion to go for it.

kellyheartsjeff Posts : 66 Registered: 2/25/09
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I love the look of having bridesmaids in different dresses. I tried to do this for my wedding - I picked a few different styles that were from the same brand, same material and same color and was going to let my bridesmaids choose whichever style they liked best. However, they all ended up choosing the same style (and there are 6 of them!).

You might want to set some guidelines like the PPs said - i.e. hemline, color, fabric, etc. and then let your bridesmaids choose their dresses according to those guidelines.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: MRG

I would definitely give them a hemline suggestion too. You don't want 4 girls in long dresses and 1 girl in a short one or vice versa. If you all live close by, it might be fun to go the bridal salon together. You can pick out the shade and they can try on all the possible dresses. That way you can visualize it better and see if it's the look you want. Plus, a day with the girls is always fun :)

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

This is a very popular idea now a days... and for a few years now. Not everyone looks good in the same cut and style dress. I love the idea of allowing them to find their own dress to make them look their best that day and if I was having any bridesmaids I would so do it!
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Will825 Posts : 9 Registered: 9/28/09
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 1:47 AM Go to message in response to: MRG

I think same Bridesmaid Dresses would be better...

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: MRG

I don't think that mis-matched bridesmaids look trashy at all.

Most weddings that I've attended have had mismatched bridesmaids. The bride picks one color, and tells the bridesmaids to pick the dress of their choice, so long as it is that color. This is made a lot easier by bridal chain stores, like David's Bridal, that have signature colors that you can purchase almost any dress in, at any one of their stores, across America. This helps each individual bridesmaid in question find a dress that suits her bodyframe, and she is more likely to wear it again after the wedding (as she should, since she is is spending over $100 dollars, more often than not). The bride will usually also choose the hemline, so it looks consistent, but some aren't too picky about it. To be honest, it's hard to even notice that the girls are wearing different dresses, most of the time! The human eye is attracted to color first, detail second. The majority of people are glancing at the bridesmaids, and then going back to keeping an eye out for the bride!

I've also seen weddings where the bride picks one dress for the bridesmaids, but tells them to get it in whatever color they choose, so they can accomodate for their skin tone/color. This is a good option, particularly if you have a very racially diverse bridal party (I have one African American friend who absolutely hates wearing pink, I have a French friend who can't wear orange, a Mexican friend who doesn't like wearing yellow, etc.) , and you aren't worried about the colors of the dresses being consistent.

At any rate, try not to worry over it too much! Mismatched is a very popular trend, and I for one think it's awesome. I'm currently set to be a bridesmaid in June of 2011, and though we are wearing matching dresses, we are all of similar body size and skin tone, so we aren't too concerned with having dresses tailored to our needs. That, and, it's a black & white ensemble, so it's pretty hard to go wrong there.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: MRG

100_1928 by you.

Here's a pic of my wedding party. One of my girls was even in a different fabric, it was barely noticeable.

IMG_0182 by you.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Apr 1, 2010 11:19 AM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: MRG

I love mismatched bridesmaids.

I am considering doing something along the lines of the "Le Sac" dress from American Apparel.

It's basically a convertible dress that can be worn in probably over 20 different ways. I will pick a colour and the girls will buy the dress (It's like $50) and then they can choose to wear it however they want--strapless, halter, tank straps, high neckline, v-cut, sweetheart--the sky is the limit.

Posted: Apr 4, 2010 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Oh, I love convertible gowns! They're fantastic when you know you'll have a lot of parties coming up. Just change the straps (or lack thereof), and you're good to go! I've done it before, and no one has ever said anything to me about 'wearing the same dress'.

This is the dress we bridesmaids are wearing, that I mentioned earlier. I am so thankful the bride has similar taste to mine; I can definitely wear this again after the wedding!

Stylish Zebra Animal Print Satin Prom Dress - XS to XL

http://www.unique-vintage.com/images/unique-vintage/10303bodice.jpg

http://www.unique-vintage.com/images/unique-vintage/10303back.jpg

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 7:21 AM Go to message in response to: MRG

I think it's kinda neat when the bridesmiads don't match each other. My bridesmaids are wearing pretty much the same style dress except for my MOH. Hers is a little bit more fancy on top. My Jr.Bridesmaid is wearing the same stlye as my other bridesmaids except her dress has a strap to help hold her dress up. However, my girls are wearing different color dresses. Two of my girls are wearing brown, my other 2 are wearing red, and another 2 are wearing orange. Just do what YOU want to do. It's your wedding :)

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 3:17 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, I remember the thread you posted about your BM dresses, your color palette was so cute!

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: MRG

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine