Tanning extremely fair skin?

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Tanning extremely fair skin?
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: angeleeka

I have fair skin too, and mostly when I spend time in the sun, I get a million freckles and then a sunburn. When I wear 45 sunblock, I usually don't get any color at all... but I get heat rash, because I'm lucky enough to be prone to that too :). I went through a phase like 3 years ago where I would go to the tanning salon at least 4 times a week, sometimes every day, it was NOT good. I didn't ever get burnt in the tanning beds, so I thought it was fine, but all the studies I've read say that any exposure in a tanning bed is bad, not just sunburn. I also noticed that the pores on my face got bigger, and my dermatologist said the tanning bed was to blame for that. I agree with everyone else, don't tan.

I do like to have color for the summer and special occasions though, it's a little annoying to have pasty limbs sticking out of a pretty sundress, so I do fake tans. I've tried a whole bunch of different ones:

Gradual Lotions (like Jergens)- gave me a little tint, but on my legs, which are paler than my face and arms, it looked orange. I also noticed that after using it for a while, there were parts of me where color seemed to be peeling off.

Developing Lotions (I used Neutrogena)- this one was a regular self tanner. I exfoliated really well and put it on liberally and 4 hours later was a little bit tan. I wanted more color, so I applied it again... DON'T DO THAT! It takes more time than the bottle says to fully develop, and the next day, I was an oompa loompa. I've used it again, and when I put on the correct amount, it wasn't very orange, so the trick is to make sure you apply it evenly and wait overnight to decide if you want to put more on. Using too much makes it look orange.

Spray Tanning Booths: I found this to be really unpleasant, because I got really nervous about holding my breath and ended up panicking and taking a huge gulpfull of tanning mist (it tastes awful). It's also cold. The color I got was just like the lotion I did at home, but putting the lotion on myself gave me a more even application than the misting booth did. My hands and feet looked very wierd even though I followed all the directions the girl at the salon gave me.

The best thing I've ever had done was get an airbrush tan at a nice tanning place. They have a girl who actually sprays the color on you and you can choose from a variety of different shades and she even put a slightly shimmery spray on over the tan (it cost extra). It wasn't orange at all, and it was completely even, because she knew what she was doing. My friend went to a more expensive place than I did and the girl put different shades on different areas and it actually made her look more toned. I would definitely recommend this if you have your heart set on a little glow, but it's kind of expensive. I got a coupon because it was the salon I used to go to all the time to tan in the beds, and me and my sister got to do it as 2 for 1. We paid $25 each, so without the coupon, it would have been $50 each. My friend who went to the nicer place paid $80.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

NicoleN1101 Posts : 44 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I have very fair skin and have done the tanning bed thing before... not to become tan, because that's not really possible, but to give myself a "base tan" so I didn't fry like a lobster on my cruise to the bahamas. It worked well. I still burned a bit on my trip but no where near as bad as I normally would have. And I use sunscreen all the time. When I started out they had me go in for 5 min to start, then i gradually increased to 8 or 10 min but never more than that. I tanned for 2 months before my trip about twice a week, and this worked. Yes if you tan everyday for 15 - 20 min you're more likely to have skin cancer possibilities, but you have to be safe with it just like anythine else.

Airbrush tanning is a great alternative.. not Mystic... airbrush. Look around, I've found a tanning place near me that does airbrush for $25 and $10 touchup. It's supposed to last two weeks I think. That's what I'll do for the upcoming wedding I'm in.
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!

KCbear Posts : 2 Registered: 12/30/09
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: angeleeka

I'm so glad you decided against the tanning beds. I'm also very fair skinned and tried the gradual tanning bed thing, and I promise, with skin like ours, after two weeks you can barely see a tan line. To top it off, I knew those tanning beds were terrible for me. It wasn't worth it.

On the bright side, if you aren't satisfied with your airbrush lady and the results she gave you last time, try out others. Alot of airbrust artists tend to go overboard with very fair skinned girls like us because they think we are OVERLY white and they are trying to 'fix' us or something, lol. What I do is say to the girl, "I want to look like I've only been in the sun for one weekend", and she gets my meaning. That way I never look orange or 'fake tanned.'

I hope that helps!

KimiP Posts : 1 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: angeleeka

First of all, congratulations, second of all, if you dont tan in the sun, you wont tan in a booth.

Try to experiment with a couple of store-bought self tanners, either have someone help you apply it, or go to a professional salon. Make sure you exfoliate before applying and do not use any body lotion before applying. Either way, you will be able to see which one looks more natural before the big day. Good luck.

MirraUnwin Posts : 33 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: angeleeka

It's good to appreciate pale skin. I'm so glad to hear that so many people actually like being pale! As I read in a magazine, the new tan is the 'no tan' tan. But being pale, you want to look healthy. This may not be an issue for you, but for me, I don't drink enough water. If you drink enough water, you will have better blood flow and circulation, allowing your skin to look healthy. Your cheeks will be rosey. If you can naturally tan, you can try that. I lay out for just an hour, and that will slowly build a little color. Doing it slowly will opt your control, and you can decide when to stop. I'm not going for tan, I'm going for healthy. The sun gives you vitamin D, so that's good. Helps break down Calcium in the body.

What I'm banking on so that I'm not washed out, is my hair. I have dark brown hair with blue eyes. So the white dress should be a good comparison to my hair. Good luck!

Oh, and definitely ask your photographer for some help in this area.

ErinBB Posts : 3 Registered: 4/25/10
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: angeleeka

I have fairly light skin too and I've never done well with tanning salons (I always seem to burn instead of tan). With all of the skin cancer news out there right now, I'm almost afraid to go now now anyway. I recently started to use an organic gradual self tanner called Adonia Bronzing Glow. So far it has been the only fake tan product that hasn't looked orangy on me and doesn't have a gross taner smell to it. It's kind of pricey at forty some dollars but it has worked pretty well for me. It just gives a nice subtle brown glow to your skin as long as you don't use a ton of it. If you aren't a big fan of going to the tanning booth, it may be something you want to consider trying. I found it on Amazon but I think they have a website as well.

soon2bmrs1 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/14/12
Posted: Mar 14, 2012 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: ErinBB

Do you still recommend adonia bronzing glow? How fast does it dry? Also, does it settle into the pores in your legs? If a tanner has a dark color guide it usually settles into my leg pores.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
The OP is over two years old.
Posted: Mar 14, 2012 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: soon2bmrs1

x

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine