Bridal Shower - Hold the wrapping paper

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Bridal Shower - Hold the wrapping paper
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:37 AM

I was invited to a bridal shower and the invitation read, "(upon brides request) To save mother nature, please do not wrap bridal shower gifts."

So I am supposed to show up to a bridal shower with an unwrapped gift???

Any opinions on this?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

hljanes Posts : 57 Registered: 12/31/09
Re: Bridal Shower - Hold the wrapping paper
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:47 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

I actually saw discussion on this on another forum, and the point was made that it was pointless--actual paper wrapping paper is perfectly recyclable; you're probably doing worse to the environment just by driving to it.

Though I can see where they're coming from, particularly if the couple is making an effort to have an overall green wedding.

That said, I would feel a bit awkward carrying an unwrapped gift--though I'd probably feel just as awkward wrapping it since the invite said not to (though some, undoubtedly, will still wrap the gifts).

Where are they registered? If it's Crate and Barrell, they can box the gift there, their version of wrapping (I think). And that cardboard is definitely recyclable.

It also strikes me a bit odd that they're instructing guests how to handle gifts.

Sorry for the rambling reply... haven't had my morning coffee yet.

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:56 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Wrap it in a decorated paper bag or newspaper. You can actually make that look really nice.
Put it in a reusable container like a flower pot, hat box or cookie tin.
Make a cloth bag.
Buy a reusable bag used for shopping and wrap it in that.
Wrap it in a pillow case, table cloth, napkin, apron or other useful reusable fabrics.

Thats all I can think of for now

wedding tickers

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: starfish701

I have on my registry not to have the gifts wrapped (its an option with Macys) but that is only for people who order gifts online that are shipped directly to our house. I would never expect shower gifts to be given unwrapped. I love wrapping gifts and would be sad if I did not get to. Plus I agree showing up with an unwrapped gift feels strange.

wedding tickers

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

I am going to a bridal shower at the end of April that made a similar request. It really didn't phase me too much. There are lots of reasons to skip the wrapping paper - environmental is one. Another bride I know did it to save time. If there are only cards to open, a bride can open the card and hold up the gift to announce who it is from. Sure unwrapping only takes a few seconds, but it adds up, especially if its a larger shower.

If it was requested for environmental reasons or time concerns, it can actually be to the benefit of the guests. The less time the bride spends open gifts, the more time you can spend chatting and enjoying the shower.

I say slap a bow on it, and call it a day

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Guess I'm just annoyed that it seems presumptious. I mean, why not tell people no cards?

I get it, but as another said, it's all recyclable - but whatever.

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm - I understand what you are saying about it being presumptious. I just feel in the grand scheme of things, its not to worry or think twice about.

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

To save time?

I thought the whole purpose of a bridal shower was to open your gifts in front of your guests so they can see everything you received??? LOL

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Yes, that is the purpose.

But take my shower for example - because we have very large close knit families, there were 90 women at my shower. It tools me 2.5 hours to open all the gifts. While I LOVED opening my gifts and even if that is the reason for the shower, that is still a very long time for both the bride and guests.

I understand its a pretty uncommon request. I was just trying to point out the other point of view.

Edited by: Bride2008 on Mar 31, 2010 10:38 AM

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Yeah, I'm with starfish on this one. Lately, I've been trying to wrap gifts only in re-used ways, such as dish towels or with decorated paper bags. However if you're the only one who has done this, it will still look a bit odd.

So, ultimately, slap a bow on it and call it a day.

What is sorta weird about this for me (and I'm all about the green thing, really) is that it sorta puts right up there who bought the really expensive gift and who didn't. I suppose that's not a secret anyway when you're unwrapping gifts in front of people (which is why I really do hate that part of this tradition), but it's weird to see the $250 Kitchenaid mixer next to the $10 dishtowels, in a way, especially if the bride just picks it up and says thank you to whomever gave it to her right then.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

It's bad enough being on display unwrapping gifts - I wouldn't sit there with each gift. I don't know, I get what they are saying, but I think in that case, it's more like a wedding reception where you look at the gifts after. I don't know.

Besides if it's to 'save time' - then putting anything on it seems wrong.

I'm also on of those people who LOVE to wrap gifts. I would totally wrap something in a pillow case or towel and decorate it with utensils but that won't save anyone time.

Save time - gift card.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

There are many environmentally friendly options.

1. Cookie tin
2. Reusable gift bag
3. Reusable grocery bag
4. Put it in a basket
5. I once wrapped a gift in a pashmina (of course it was an extra perk for them)
6. Wrap it in newspaper or magazine pages or travel maps that you have no use for

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I have to ask - is the Bride In Question also sending out E-vites as invitations?? I knew someone who did this... and then, in the end, the girl I knew also sent her thank-yous via Ecard. To everyone. At the same time.

My suggestion is to wrap it in a previously enjoyed gift bag or with newspaper. My brother actually made his own bows last year - he took apart a bow from the store and figured out how to re-construct it out of newspaper strips! It was actually pretty awesome.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Erm, it's nice to be green, I guess, but I get a little uptight about being told what to do or how to present my gift. If the bride chooses to wrap her gift to someone else in old bath towels, fine by me. But, just like I choose what gift to get, I choose how to present it. If I got a note like that, I'd be tempted to find an old grocery bag, preferably one that some eggs had leaked in, and give her the damned gift in that. By the way, just bought gift wrapping for a baby shower yesterday--really nice, pretty, recycled paper. And I'm sure that it can be recycled again.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Bingo Myra. Thank you for pinpointing what I was trying to get at.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine