DIY Invites-Ink Smearing

Online Users: 1,313 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Mandi1983 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
DIY Invites-Ink Smearing
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 3:09 PM

I am designing/printing my own invites, table numbers, programs etc. I am running into a little issue with the ink smearing easily. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep this from happening. Maybe a particular kind of ink or a spray coating on the paper? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Re: DIY Invites-Ink Smearing
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

What kind of printer and ink are you using currently? I know when you are printing on a high gloss paper, each sheet needs a few minutes to dry (inkjet especially - laser printers about 30 seconds) before anything is touched or another print is stacked overtop of it. If you are using glossy paper in your printer, you can set that up in your print preferences, this way it uses less ink and gives time for the ink to dry before printing the next page out.

LAcat88 Posts : 39 Registered: 9/15/07
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

If it isn't glossy paper or you don't want glossy paper you can use workable spray fixative. Krylon is a good brand and you can find it at any craft store.

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: LAcat88

Set aside a lot of room and don't stack anything. Print stuff and lay them next to each other not on top. It will take up a lot of space for a while but trust me, it will be worth the mess. Also, be very careful when you take it out of the printer that you don't smear it with your finger.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

jmrosazza Posts : 12 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

A few years ago I worked at a store that printed invitations. We always had trouble printing on vellum...and it was really time consuming.

Similar to what has been previously said, you either print 1 invite at a time and let it dry on the printer (this keeps you from accidently touching anything or the ink running). Or you need to remove it immediately from the printer. Don't spray the Krylon stuff on it until after it's had a bit of time to soak it.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

Set your printer to the lowest quality setting you can while it still looks good. Inkjet printers see "best" quality as glooping the ink on as much as possible.

Lay them flat for a few hours before touching them.

If you know anybody who owns a laserjet printer, you might want to try it on that as DIY invites generally come out better on Laserjets.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

Mandi1983 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

Thanks for all of the great tips!! I think I like the spray idea, I'll have to go check it out! Happy planning!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine