Co-worker backed into my truck !!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

NicoleN1101 Posts : 44 Registered: 3/19/10
Co-worker backed into my truck !!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 1:55 PM

So Monday I worked longer than normal to make up hours I would miss the next day, and I get a call over the intercom. Some co-worker backed into my truck and left about an 8 inch dent in my rear quarter panel. It's not huge, but there is some paint missing and I love my truck. The guy was at least honest about it, and offered to pay to have it fixed. He suggested a place for me to get a quote, so I made DH take the truck for the quote today. I emailed the co-worker and he thinks the quote is higher than it should be, and is basically accusing me of having "all the other dents" included in the price. Now mind you my truck has exactly three quarter sizes dents on it. From doors being slammed into it, etc. But they are no where near the dent he caused. Just pay to have my truck fixed... geez. So now he wants to take pictures of it and take it to a "friend of his". Whatever, it better be a reputable place.
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: Co-worker backed into my truck !!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

I say the ball should be in your court, or you threaten to go through insurance. He made the dent, it's your truck getting fixed. Tell him you'll take it the body shop of your choice, and if he has a problem paying you'll make the police report and go through insurance. Why should YOU be stressing over where to get your truck fixed, and why should he be the one telling you where to go, and changing his mind, when it was HIS fault?

NicoleN1101 Posts : 44 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

My thoughts exactly. I have been emailing him back and forth since I wrote the original post and this is what he recently sent in a response email. His responses are in all caps, that's how he wrote it... so annoying.

WE USE MID COUNTY COLLISION.PLEASE HAVE YOUR HUBBY STOP BY AND SEE CHARLES FOR AN ESTIMATE.

THEY WILL CALL ME WITH THE ESTIMATE

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD LET THEM DO THEIR BEST AT FIXING IT WITHOUT ALL THE DRILLING OF HOLES AND REPAINTING IT.

LETS SEE HOW IT LOOKS PULLED OUT AND POLISHED UP. $400 WOULD HURT A BIT.

I don't mind having him get a quote from there, but I would expect it to be fixed properly back to its original state or as close as possible.

JUST CALL MY INS, STATE FARM XXX-XXXX AND SPEAK W/CHRISTINE. LET GET IT FIXED RIGHT WITHOUT ME TRYING TO SAVE $ AND WISHING I WASN'T SO HONEST IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Is it just me or is this guy being a jerk?

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

Dear Nicole,

He can take all the photos he likes. Your truck is parked in a public-accessible place (work parking lot) and anyone with a camera can take photos. You can also take all the photos you like of your own truck, before and after repair, to indicate that the prior dents are still unrepaired.

My suggestion to you is to get three quotes from three different body shops. Then, give those copies of those quotes to the guy who damaged your truck. If he still balks, then ask for the name of his insurance agent so you can contact that person and deal with someone who understands car repair expenses.

Veiled threat: If you contact his insurance agent, this accident goes on his record. Don't say that in so many words, but just let him know that if he cannot be happy with one of your three quotes, you will have to escalate.

And, no, you are not going to "a friend of his". You are the owner of the damaged vehicle. You get it fixed at a place of your choice, that charges reasonable prices for quality work.

If you actually want to get all the dents repaired at the same time, get quotes that separate out the accident dent from the others.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

Dear Nicole,

He's trying to save money. Nothing wrong with that, but he's borderline jerk about it.

OK, Mid County Collision is "his" shop. You call your insurance agent and ask if they have any experience with Mid County Collision. Would your insurance agent recommend them to a client? Ask a few other people around town, such as the guy at the gas station or a highway patrol officer.

If yes, then get a quote from Mid County as one of your three quotes.

If no, then politely tell the guy that your insurance agent does not recommend their work. They are either too expensive or poor quality.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

I know it's probably too late now, but you should ALWAYS report accidents to the insurance and the police. The other party can promise to pay, but when push comes to shove, sometimes they don't. My 17 year old sister is finding this out the hard way right now as she was backed into in September and now my Mom is taking the a**hole to small claims court because he still hasn't paid.

I'd do what AOTB suggests and get three quotes from reputable places. He can pick between the three.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

Save up to 21% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $158.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-straight-neckline-strapless-wedding-gown-with-delicate-lace-applique-tulle-dress-p-33891.html

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: NicoleN1101

A-line Dark Purple Strapless Drape Floor-length Prom Dress With Embellished Trim
Save up to 30% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $139.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-dark-purple-strapless-drape-floorlength-prom-dress-with-embellished-trim-p-31748.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine