What is the rudest thing you have experienced

Online Users: 1,305 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 45

BWFrancie Posts : 70 Registered: 11/11/09
Re: What is the rudest thing you have experienced
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Good for you girl! I live near an affluent area so there are many consignment shops that only deal in high end labels. For example, I got a Ralph Lauren 100% cashmere sweater never worn for 10 bucks. I love Goodwill too!

http://www.bride-whisperer.com

Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/BrideWhispering

Follow my Fan Page on FaceBook:  The Bride Whisperer

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: BWFrancie

I was a waitress at a resort and usually served the same family all week.

One time a family was discussing words like "their" "they're" "there", etc.
They were having a debate over when to use "it's" and when to use "its."

The mother said 'Let's see what Kate thinks. When do you use 'it's and when do you use 'its' ?"

I replied "you use the apostrophe when you saying 'it is' and you don't use the apostrophe when you are using it as a possessive."

She obviously had been thinking that the apostrophe was used in the possessive form like with most words and she scowled at me and said 'what do you know? you're just a waitress.'

I was pretty shocked and just kind of smiled and left the table.
That was the most awkward and insulting scenario I had been in as a waitress.

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

1. Talking to a hairdresser about how I was thinking of having my hair for my wedding and having him ask how old I was because I looked young. When I told him, the response was "Okay, I guess you're old enough to get married, then."

2. Talking to someone from a time-share place in the mall that we mistakenly thought at first was a travel agency about our honeymoon and having him inform me that you had to be 21 or older for one of the places, then ask, "So how many years until you turn 21?" and then talking about "taking this old guy with you" in reference to my husband, then my fiance.

*Quick vent about the above. As a child, I was taught that it was rude to ask an adult their age; why does everyone think there's nothing wrong with asking anymore? And the guy in #1 above was in his thirties, and the one in #2 was at least in his fifties!

3. Well over half the guests at my wedding brought no gift or card. I don't actually care about the gifts themselves, but I would never dream of attending a wedding without a gift because I don't think it's polite (unless they can't afford to bring anything and let me know this).

4. I sent out over 60 invitations, but only got 3 RSVPs telling me yes or no.

5. A number of guests brought people with them I had not invited.

6. Despite having our best man ask right before the ceremony started for people to turn off their cell phones, we had 2 go off during our wedding.

7. This one really hurt my feelings: My grandfather told me he didn't understand why I wanted to marry my husband, then my fiance.

RyanandKelly2009 Posts : 32 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

How about this. My guest list can be 250 max because of the small room we are renting. My FH and my families are about the same size. Since both parents are paying equal amounts with FH and I paying as well we decided that FH and I could invite 50 friends and both sets of parents can invited 100 each. Well my future-in-laws have made their first draft of the guest list with 95 people and still want to invite at least 10 more friends plus additional co-workers. I explained that we cannot go over the number but they are afraid of "offending" anyone. Apparently it's ok to offend my close family by not inviting them because of limited space but not ok to offend my FH's fathers's co-workers whom my FH has never met! Also because of my grandparent's strong religious affliations we were not going to open the bar until after dinner is served and bridal dance are completed becaue we know from experience that my grandparents will leave when the bar opens. My future in laws however, are fighting us over this because they state that their cousins are "alcoholics" and it will inconvience them to not be able to drink for a couple hours! I still don't know what to do but told my FH that he can deal with his parents because I'm ready to elope!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: RyanandKelly2009

I don't actually care about the gifts themselves, but I would never dream of attending a wedding without a gift because I don't think it's polite (unless they can't afford to bring anything and let me know this).

Who do you know that would admit to a bride and groom that they couldn't afford to buy a wedding gift? If I were in that situation, I would never disclose my finances like that. I'd rather they think I'm rude or cheap than have them think I can't afford a lousy gift. And I think most people would agree.

both sets of parents can invited 100 each. Well my future-in-laws have made their first draft of the guest list with 95 people and still want to invite at least 10 more friends plus additional co-workers.

Really? You gave them a limit of 100 and you're upset that they want to invite 105? Not a battle worth fighting, IMO.

About all the age stories, why are you people answering if the questions offend you? I rarely get asked my age directly, since it's typically professional contacts who wish to know and they have the tact to beat around the bush rather than asking directly. So I generally get, 'So, how long have you worked here? What did you do before this?' or 'So, where did you go to school? When did you graduate?' But if anybody ever asks my age directly, I generally say, 'Why do you need to know?' or if it's appropriate to be a little cheeky, I'll say, 'Didn't your mother ever teach you that it's not polite to ask a lady's age?'

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Artbride, I think she was saying that her FILs want to invite 10 extra people, and additional coworkers, so there count would be way over 100, or 105. If I was her I'd wait and see what everyone else's list adds up too, maybe her or her parents list will only be 90, then she can give the 10 extra spots to her inlaws. But if their strictly on a limit because of space, it's probably better that she doesn't take that chance inviting more than the room can hold. She could also do a B-list for the extra people her inlaws wanted to invite.

bride4life Posts : 499 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

Ok, rudest thing that happened reguarding my wedding or engagment:

I have three.

1.) Before the wedding I was talking to my aunt about timing. I told her the wedding was going to be over at 3:30 and the reception doors where to be opened at 5:00 and dinner served at 6:00. Well, she was uphappy about the time difference between the wedding and reception and then again about not eating right away. I told her that we would not be done with pictures and the drive back to the reception before 6:00. She told me that I should have the guests eat at 5:00 while we are finishing up pictures so that they are not hungry. What? You want the bride and groom to be the last to eat cold food? I wanted to tell her to put a granola bar in her purse if she thought she was going to waste away.

2.) One of my bridesmaids told me that is was 'ridiculous' and 'a waste of money' to take engagement pictures.

3.) on my RSVP card I wrote "______of 4" or "_____of 2" (based on how many I invited from that family). I did this because just in case the children didn't want to come the parents could write "2 of 4" etc Well this one couple I only wanted to invite the 2 adults so I wrote "_______of 2" she crossed out my 2 and wrote in 11 and added 11 to my guest list on her own. She also called my husband's grandma to complain. The 11 were her children, children's boyfriends and girlfriends, and her grandchildren. Well, my mom paid for the wedding so I called to ask her what I should do and she said to just let in slide to keep the peace she would pay for the additional 9 people. Fast forward to wedding day.....none of the 11 showed up and no gift was sent.

Anna827 Posts : 20 Registered: 1/4/10
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

A few years ago I was engaged to someone else (it didn't work out). About a month after I got engaged to FH I was at a family gathering and one of my aunts comes over and asks to see my ring and then asks me if this one is for real. I didn't appreciate that comment at all.

Just yesterday one of the nurses that works at the same place I work saw my ring and asks, "Oh, your engaged....again?"

Yes I know my previous engagement didn't work out, but do people have to bring up the past?
Anna

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:18 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

chfsgrl.....do we have the same friend? I have pretty much cut someone out of my life for the exact same reason, except she's been married 20 years, is actively searching for an affair, and she targeted my then FH (now DH). The first time, I point blank called her up and told her to stop.

She waited a few months, turned down the invite DH wanted to send her (because men can be thick on some things) and when he texted her to find out why (since she had insisted she was coming, wouldn't miss it, yadda yadda...and she has a heart condition, so he was worried) she first responds with "does Misty know you're texting me?" and would not respond to him until I took his phone and said "yes"

THen she comes out with this text so long it comes in three separate parts that basically said she was always attracted to him and really liked him etc.

DH was a bit shocked. I was not.

Since then she tried texting him to ask him what kind of a vibrator we used or what kind he would recommend. I responded by " that is none of your business. We will not be discussing this with you."

Her response: "oh."

Have not heard from her since, and Im good with that.

Misty

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 9:54 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

....I almost want to call B.S. on that, Cat, but it's too strange to be fake. *:P It amazes me the way people behave!

I get a lot of snarky comments from people about my figure (I'm a short, but very busty, girl). It's almost become a routine thing, for me. First they ask 'what on earth I eat', and some go as far as to inquire if I have an eating disorder. "I eat the same things that the rest of my family do, thank you very much. I in no way starve myself." What on Earth compels these people to ask things like this?

Some feel the need to comment on my breast size (I'm a 36 DD, and about 5'4"). Usually it's a man, and he'll offer some kind of crude compliment, leaving me feeling utterly disgusted. I've been asked if I have implants (since I once lived in California, I therefore must have implants, they just CAN'T be natural). In fact, I once had a woman stop me and turn to the woman walking with her, saying "See, I want this size," and went on to further examine my breasts, discussing them with her companion, right in front of me. This was in a public outlet mall! After chewing the woman out and giving her a piece of my mind, I felt so humiliated. I don't like making a spectacle out of myself. My own grandmother once lectured me on wearing "too revealing" clothing, saying that only certain men would be attracted to me, and these aren't the men I want to attract. It was really awkward having to explain to her "Grandma, I'm wearing the same clothes as ________ (insert less busty cousin's name here), but it's hard to find things that fit me properly." I think it's also incredibly rude when people inquire if I have back problems, thanks to my breasts. What business is that of anyone's but my own?! UGH!

Sorry, I've been dying to vent about this one for a while. *:(

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

JoelsPrettyPres... Posts : 41 Registered: 12/2/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 10:36 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Well I am only six months into planning so I am sure there will be more remarks but so far:

--When I told my maid of honor my fiance' and I were paying for the Ceremony and my dad was paying for everything else she said "that's shitty, no one should have to pay for their own wedding, at least I know when I get married my dad will actually pay for everything." Took complete offense to this!! My dad is paying a lot of money! And I actually try not to spend to much of his money, he is my dad not a bank, I appreciate every dollar he gives us.

--The night we got engaged we rushed to my fathers house so I could tell him, even though my fiance had already asked for his permission so he already knew. My eldest brother, Pat, happened to be there, so after beaming and showing off my ring to my dad I show him. We tell Pat our plans (cause after being together so long we have already pretty much planned our wedding) and our date we picked. He looks us both in the eye laughs out loud and says "ya if you make it that long". I start to get angry this is a 32 year old man who has been married 3 times already none of which lasted longer than a year! How dare he say that to me! I say "oh don't worry this is forever" and he laughs again and says "we'll see".

Now whenever my brother Pat is around and the wedding is mentioned by anyone all he will say is "we'll see" in a smart as condescending tone! URG!!

Don't make a man a PRIORITY when he sees you as an OPTION. (my advice to any woman at any age in life)

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: JoelsPrettyPres...

Some feel the need to comment on my breast size (I'm a 36 DD, and about 5'4"). Usually it's a man, and he'll offer some kind of crude compliment, leaving me feeling utterly disgusted. I've been asked if I have implants (since I once lived in California, I therefore must have implants, they just CAN'T be natural).

Oh don't even get me started on that one! I am a (natural) 32G and get asked all of the time if they are fake. Complete strangers, male and female will just walk up to me out of the blue and ask. Its so rude! One day my FH and I were at the mall. I was in a dressing room trying on clothes when I heard a guy say 'Is that your girl who went in there? Are her boobs real?' I thought my FH was going to rip the guys head off!

wedding tickers

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: starfish701

Oh God, that is disgusting. If anyone dared ask my BF about my breasts, they would get their head torn off. *:P

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 12:28 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Van, that gal is a complete freak. I went to a boarding school for high school, and she was my roommate, senior year. Thanks to facebook, I've reconnected with a lot of "friends" from high school...but I really don't feel compelled to relive those relationships. I didn't continue them on afterwards for a reason.

Like I said, she was my roommate.

It first started with flirty texting with DH (then FH). He THOUGHT he was trying to help her come up with things to say to help seduce her husband, and clearly saw nothing wrong with it as he told me what he was doing. I told him that it was not appropriate and he should stop. He couldn't understand why since he meant nothing by it. I pointed out: "No, you don't mean anything by it and I have no problems with trusting you on it. However, SHE does mean something by it." What DH didn't know at the time that I did was the following:

1. She had been having an email affair with someone who just called it off. They had not met in person, but he called it off because she was wanting to
2. She and her hubby were going to be married 20 years this year and were not sure if they wanted to do a vow renewal....not because it's a lot of planning and such, but because they were not sure if they really wanted to do it. (they did it for their 10th anniversary). While they are not in line for Divorce Court, they also need a lot of couples counselling before they could consider renewing their vows.
3. This gal has always been an attention whore. Her attitudes on a lot of things clearly have not matured with age.

So while he thought he was helping her come up with something to gt her hubby's attention, she was really just trying to get him interested in her and setting him up to be her next affair.

DH stopped texting with her. She kept texting him. Finally, I texted her and told her "He is not going to respond to you when you send messages like that because they are not appropriate, as you well know."

She apparently "prayed" about it with her husband who told her that she didn't like to share, why should I.

I wanted to drop her from the invite list right there. DH still didn't realize her level of toxicity.

So we send the invites. She sends back regrets. Like I said, she'd been talking about how excited she was to come, and she does live within driving distance, and she has a heart condition. Me, I was excited to see the 'regret'. DH was concerned, so he texts her. She won't respond. Finally it's "Does Misty know you're texting me?"

we go back and forth about how she's all depressed and she's afraid she's going to make everyone else around her depressed if she comes (no one knows her but us) and she doesn't want to bring everyone down. At this point, I know what the code means: the attention isn't going to be on me. DH still (being a guy) has no clue about this gal. That's when she drops the bomb about how she's always been attracted to him, yadda yadda yadda.

We did not respond to that. Of course, by that point she'd already said she'd come (argh!) and we didn't quite know how to rescind the invite (sorry...you're a sick cow who we do not trust to try to hit up the groom during the wedding reception). So the table she got placed at was only my co-workers, two of whom had been given the FULL skinny on her so that they could do damage control. Both of them pretty much decided if she tried anything, they'd take care of her.

We've ignore her, until we got that stupid message about the vibrators. Honestly, who asks their bare acquaintances what kind of vibrator they use or would recommend? Even my friend who is extremely open about sex and sexuality knows me well enough to know that that is not a question you ask me. Heck, she said it is not something you ask ANYONE really because it is such a personal thing and so dependant on preferences that my recommendation would not be good for her--because there is no guarantee we prefer the same things in that area.

Oh yeah...she didn't show up at the wedding. But that was one RSVP yes we were glad was a no show.

This gal has never really been a paragon of class. 20 years has not done much to improve her.

Misty

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 3:54 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

That woman sounds like a Grade A piece of work, Cat. *:-/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine