Sex without the pill, is GREAT!!

Online Users: 1,291 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

Lori82 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/21/08
Re: Sex without the pill, is GREAT!!
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

I am using natural family planning as well, and it works like a charm. Once you get to know your body and your cycle, it is very reliable and effective. There are only maybe 5-6 days during your cycle where sex could possibly end in pregnancy. We've been doing nfp for about 4 months now. I can tell the exact day I am ovulating from taking my temperature and other bodily signs. My husband and I will only use condoms from a few days after my period until I ovulate. Once ovulation is done, there is no possible way that sex could result in pregnancy. So, for us, there is no need to use condoms or contraception after I ovulate. We only have to use condoms for about a week out of my cycle...and that is it.

Maybe this method isn't for everyone, and that is fine. I am not trying to push nfp on anyone. This works for some people. I do not want to be on the pill and we didn't want to have to use condoms all the time either. So, this works for us. It's not the most popular method of birth control, but if you do your research and get to know your body and cycle before fully relying on it, it is just as effective as the pill or any other form of contraception. Not only that, but I have learned so much about my cycle that when the time comes for us to start trying for a baby I know the exact days of my cycle where baby making sex should occur.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp024.cfm

Article by american congress of obstetricians and gynecologists. You will have to cut and paste.

For anyone who does follow this and really does not want to get pregnant right now, well, I hope you at least educate yourself by consulting your doctor thoroughly as to how effective this really is, how safe.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I am not anti-family planning. However, you really have to be sure about your condom/other backup use.

NFP has a 99% success rate, but that is computed based on the idea the the couple abstain during the fertile period. Most people when using NFP don't abstain during the fertile period and choose to use another method such as condoms.

Typically, when used as the only contraceptive method, condoms have an 80% success rate. The 98% you hear is with correct use, MOST people do NOT use condoms correctly.

So you figure there are 4-5 days a month when you are fertile. If the average couple has sex once during this time period, the 80% condom success rate means you have a 1 in 5 chance of being pregnant within a year.

NFP's 99% success rate is computed based on ABSTINENCE during the fertile period, not condom sex. If you're going to have sex (even protected) during the fertile period be careful.

I know that I'm not going to take my chances with a 1 in 5 chance of being pregnant within the next year, but to each his own I suppose.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

Yes, that's part of what the article says. And I think they have it even more risky, if you don't do abstinence, or 1 in 4 who use that method get pregnant. I think it's important to be fully educated when making decisions like this.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

A baby is WAY too expensive. I would rather pay $30 a month (I think
that's the price of a generic brand without insurance) for a packet of
pills than to pay for a baby.

I just got my BC pills renewed for the first time here in the States - and I payed $3 per pack.

I went to the local Planned Parenthood clinic - dH and I filled out the forms that let them know about your insurance and your family income.
I'm not working, and we're applying for insurance (so we have none right now), and so we qualified for a discount. The nurse at the counter also told me that the most we would pay per pack would be $25. I got the same name-brand pills that I got in Canada (for $30 per pack...) - 3 packs for $9.
HollyElise

21. Canadian. Stay-At-Home Wife. Living in Hawaii.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Yes, that's part of what the article says. And I think they have it even more risky, if you don't do abstinence, or 1 in 4 who use that method get pregnant. I think it's important to be fully educated when making decisions like this.

I didn't read the article, but I guess great minds think alike ;)

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

I know a lot about NFP. It can be used either to prevent pregnancy or to aid in conception. I used it for the latter.

I would NEVER use it (by itself) to prevent pregnancy, unless I was okay with possibly getting pregnant. There is no way to tell, within 100% certainly, what day you ovulate. So many factors can affect your body temperatures, bodily fluids, etc. that I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Unless you are against other forms of birth control. Then it's better than nothing.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lori82 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

My husband and I plan on trying to get pregnant at the end of August. So, for us NFP is working. Yes, we use a condom during my most fertile days. However, since we plan on trying for a baby in 5 months, if I get pregnant now it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Now, if we absolutely positively did not want to have a baby for another couple of years, we'd probably used VCF along with the condom or just abstain during that week or so. I've done plenty of reserach on the subject to know that condoms are not 100% effective. I, personally, would much rather do barrier methods or NFP than be on the pill. But, to each his own.

Jnikki Posts : 42 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Hey there, you probably don't want to go back on the pill now, but FYI I use a generic Ortho tri cyclen from Wal-Mart. I think it is called Trispretnic (something close to that) its only $9/mo. I've been on it for a while and I haven't had any scares or problems. Its Wal-Mart's brand and i'm lived in 3 different states since I've been on it, and its been the same price everywhere I've gone, and I don't have insurance either.

"So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate" Matthew 19:6   Jamie and Bryan 5-22-10

Pocahontas626 Posts : 15 Registered: 4/15/10
Posted: May 4, 2010 12:50 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

same thing happened to me. I didn't notice how high my libido was until i got on the pill, stopped caring about sex all together, then got off the pill, and it was like the golden gates of my vagina opened.
I seem to want it ALL the time now. Every time we're alone I notice how sexy FI looks. If I could, I would have him everyday, mulitple times :)

Weight Loss Goals:
-Start date- 4/15/10
-Goal Weight-140 lbs
-Start Weight- 173 lbs 
-Current Weight- 171
 lbs
-Wedding-June 26th, 2010! 

2 pounds lost so far!

csupalla0881 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/15/09
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: Pocahontas626

I just want to clarify a few things about Natural Family Planning. My fiance and I are getting married in October, and we plan to use NFP only (and we're already charting my cycle as we approach our wedding day and have sex for the first time). PPs have said that you'd need to be thoroughly educated to do this method. That's a correct statement. In order to do NFP, there are usually 2-3 classes you attend (1-2 hours each), along with chart reviews with your instructor. They walk you through everything and answer any questions you have, until you feel 100% comfortable with the method and your body/cycle. It's a wonderful thing with so many benefits!

As another PP said, the woman gets to know her body so well...she can easily tell the days she is fertile and infertile. The couple's communication and intimacy increases incredibly by talking about her body and whether or not this would be a good time in life to have a child (plus, if you can talk about the woman's mucous, you'll have no problem talking about other issues in your relationship! :). Also, couples who use only NFP have a very counter-cultural view on children. They see babies as a gift from God, whether or not this is the 100% most opportune time to be having a baby.

As mentioned previously, there are a few days each month when you'd have to abstain from sex, if you're trying to avoid pregnancy. But every NFP-using couple describes this as a blessing because they find other ways to be intimate during those few days, and then they can't wait to have sex when the fertile time is over again.

Lastly, NFP is completely free, doesn't add hormones into your body, and it's so easy! I have to pay attention to one thing throughout the day and then chart that at the end of the day. Over the course of the cycle, there are some changes that show where I'm at in my cycle, and it all pretty much works like clockwork.

I'm not trying to convince you all to switch to NFP...but I am definitely a proponent of it after learning the method and all its benefits! I'd be happy to talk further with anyone, if you want to learn more! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine