I hope I didn't ruin my ring...

Online Users: 1,257 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

StephanieRS Posts : 9 Registered: 1/12/10
I hope I didn't ruin my ring...
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:55 PM

Hello all! I do not know if this is the right board to post this on but since it has to do with the ring I figured it was fine.

I hope I didn't ruin my ring today. Before I go into what happened I may be overreacting and the situation is just fine.

I work with two kids after school and today we were playing beauty salon. Anyway, to make a long story short. She got out the color hairspray (one of the kid friendly ones - like the ones for Halloween) and I got a paper towel to put around my face to avoid it to get on my skin.

Well, being totally oblivious to the fact that my hand was exposed to where she was spraying so when I looked down my ring was now a color pink. How could I be so stupid? I went to the sink right away and began to scrub it away. I have gotten most of it off but some of the pink can still be seen within the prongs.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get it cleaned, if I need to take it somewhere, or (holds breath) its just a hopeless cause.

Thanks ladies and remember, I may be overreacting here so let me know if I should calm down.

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Re: I hope I didn't ruin my ring...
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieRS

I would soak it in some warm water and then scrub with a soft toothbrush. And I doubt that you've ruined it! No worries - they're made to last a lifetime, and survive worse things than colored hairspray!
HollyElise

21. Canadian. Stay-At-Home Wife. Living in Hawaii.

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Take a deep breath. You did not ruin your ring. Like the PP said, they are made to last a life time. Now, if you bought from a chain store, most of them have big machines that would clean the dirt off of dirt. Even some of the smaller places do that. If you don't want to take it in there are a couple at home remedies.
1. Toothbrush and soap (I normally recomend toothpaste though, works wonders)
and 2. Buy the little jewelry cleaners at the drug store and soak it for a while. It never hurts to have jewelry cleaner on hand anyway.

Trust me, your ring is fine and you didn't ruin it. :)

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

StephanieRS Posts : 9 Registered: 1/12/10
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your advice. Once I get home I will work on it. If that doesn't work I will try a jewel cleaner. Thanks again for allowing me to breath again :D

DNAmindy Posts : 47 Registered: 7/24/09
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:09 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieRS

Steph- Maybe before you spend money on jewelry cleaner......are you near a mall with a Kay Jewelers?? Most Kays have a "jewelry cleaning station" kiosk where a hot pot of jewelry cleaner is kept. Just ask any sales person and they will clean your jewelry for you, free of charge, and it takes maybe 2 minutes. The fact that the cleaner is kept at a hot temperature seems to really help get all the tricky crud off, so if the soap-and-water trick doesn't work, I would suggest checking out a jewelry store for help!

After cleaning your ring, they will (of course) try to lure you into the showroom to sell you stuff...just say no thank you and walk away, lol!! (unless you want to buy something haha)

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: DNAmindy

You should definately try using a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. It does work wonders!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 8:57 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieRS

Nah, I've gotten all kinds of stuff on jewelry, including my rings. I wouldn't be too worried about the hairspray. If it comes out of hair, it'll come off jewelry. Plus, if it's kid-safe, it's made to wash off easily and probably doesn't have any harsh chemicals.

Don't fool around with toothbrushes trying to clean it yourself. That's how most people loosen stones in settings, etc. Plus, it's a pain in the butt. Take it to a jeweler - most places will clean jewelry for free, even if it wasn't purchased there. They just like getting you in the door, where you might see something that you like and buy it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 7:16 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieRS

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45678.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine