Braces still on and wedding is coming up. Think Ortho will remove them?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Stangirl1999 Posts : 12 Registered: 8/9/07
Braces still on and wedding is coming up. Think Ortho will remove them?
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 10:24 PM

I have had braces on for over 2 years now. They were suppose to come off the middle of last year. However I have one stubborn space from having a tooth removed. This space is not closing one bit!! My teeth and bite are fine....my ortho just wants to keep them on to close the space. Until that happens I have to wear them. My wedding is coming up April 18th and I want them off, otherwise I feel I will be picking them off myself and havinf them out them back on. I have spent all this money to have my teeth straight for my wedding day and now I'm heartbroken and stressed about it. My ortho says she does not see them coming off. I asked her last year before I booked my wedding if they would be off, she was for sure then that they would. My question is has anyone ever been stuck with having them on longer and their wedding day was coming up? Did your ortho remove them for and then place them back on after the wedding day?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Braces still on and wedding is coming up. Think Ortho will remove them?
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

Honestly? Tell your Ortho you only did this so you'd have straight teeth on your wedding day, and by golly you don't want METAL TEETH on that day either. She's leaving them on for an aesthetic, and if you're happy, then tell her you want them off.

OR, talk to her about getting those clear things, then you can take them off for the wedding day and put them back on the next day.

sorry sweets

Misty

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Well, she can't NOT take them off. They are your teeth, and therefore your decision.

She may not agree with your decision, but if you want them off and put back on, she needs to do it. You are paying her, after all.

That said, I don't know if she might charge extra for having them put back on, but otherwise I don't think you need to worry.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 8:08 AM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

and if she won't take them off....find another ortho who will. Start looking now. You don't want your teeth to look like the braces just came off the day before the wedding.

Misty

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I agree with the other posters. They are your teeth so if you want them off you can have somone (if not her) take them off. However, keep in mind I can almost guarantee they will charge you to put them back on.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

What a nightmare! I agree with the others, they are YOUR teeth. Tell your ortho that if she doesn't take them out then you will go somewhere else who will. Be firm with her! But start looking for other ortho places NOW just incase. Good luck!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

Hi Stangirl,

I can kind of sympathize. I had braces when I was the maid of honor in my sisters wedding, granted I wasn't the bride, but still! My braces ended up being on for 2 YEARS longer than they were supposed to be. Needless to say I was DONE with braces by the time her wedding rolled around. I didn't want to have a metal smile in all of the photos, not to mention it was my senior year in high school and I wanted that perfect smile I'd been promised! I still had a small space (same issue stuborn tooth) and they removed my braces and were able to close the gap with a retainer instead of having the braces put back on. I'm not sure if this would be an option to you but I would certainly discuss it with your ortho or like PP's said find a new one! Another option may be using the Invisalign after the braces if the space isn't that pronounced. I have to honestly say though since I didn't finish the treatment I still have a small gap there. It's certainly nothing that bothers me but it's there.

Good Luck!!

Melissa
wedding ticker for myspace

Stangirl1999 Posts : 12 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

Thanks for all the advice. I go back next week, so I will sit down with her then and discuss my options. I hope it goes well. Otherwise like you guys said...I will find another ortho willing to remove them and replace them after words. Right now I don't care how much it costs. The braces all ready paid off...so we will see.

Edited by: Stangirl1999 on Jan 20, 2010 11:28 PM

cellarius Posts : 8 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

i would be pissed & there's no fing way i would have braces at my wedding. just straight up tell her the reason you got them was to have straight teeth at your wedding so that's what's happening. make an appt now to get them taking off for the wedding. plenty of people get them taken off for an event & then put back on. ask her what it would cost to get them put back on. though from what you described you could probably just leave them off too & just make sure you wear the retainers! i didn't lol & they went crowded on the bottom real quick

b + p = <3

ArrayOfJewel Posts : 2 Registered: 3/16/10
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

If you get your braces off, your teeth may be a little yellow or dingy. I'm not sure if your dentist does anything for you, but if they don't CREST WHITESTRIPS!!!! I swear, they work. You have to just stick with it.

And this goes for all brides on your wedding day. Crest White Strips for at least 7 consistent days, everyday (using it for 30 minutes) will give you the whitest smile ever. For some, it could cause teeth sensitivity. I'd switch to a toothpaste like sensodyne or something.

Loving God, Loving my Fiance', Loving Life!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: Stangirl1999

I didn't read what the others said, but My sister had her braces removed for my wedding in September. She paid $500 to have them off for the weekend. Her teeth looked amazing with them off! I didn't care if she had braces in the pictures but it was important to her that they were off!
wedding website

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine