What is the rudest thing you have experienced

Online Users: 1,315 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 45

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
What is the rudest thing you have experienced
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:08 PM

Related to your engagement or marriage? I saw someones thread about a rude person and thought it would be something interesting to vent about... here is mine...

I am a school counselor and when I went into a class room to do a presentation before I left the teacher said One more question Ms. M.... we all must know how big your ring is. I was shocked so I said it is big enough and she still didn't get the hint. Mind you this in front of a whole classroom filled with high school students. I could feel myself turning red because I thought it was just so rude and it is not something you ask someone (especially since I am not even close with her and I was in front of kids!). I just said something like well its not a appropriate to ask people that type of question and asked if there was any more questions related to the topic I came in to discuss and then I left.

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Re: What is the rudest thing you have experienced
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

I work at a deli in my town (young college bride here:)) and the lighting is probably the best lighting for my ring. (Which is 2 carats) I constantly have people commenting on how large my ring is and how beautiful (Which I honestly don't mind) however, I have coworkers that have asked how much he paid for it which I find uncomfortable. I do know to a slight degree how much he paid but it isn't something i'm comfortable knowing or sharing!

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

In relation to my engagement or wedding...
Well, one girl decided it was her job in life to convince me that my man was cheating on me when we were first engaged.
This person doesn't know my man at all, she barely knew me, yet because dH and I were in a long-distance relationship, she decided that he must have another woman on the side.
I chalked that up to the kind of guy she gets involved with, and avoided being around her until we stopped working together.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Oh and in regards to ring size - my darling dH picked out a very large-stoned ring.
But he has not and will not tell me how much he paid for it, so when people ask me I honestly say that I don't know.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

Oh MY! That is rude! How inappropriate! It sounds like she may be a bit jealous?

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 1:42 AM Go to message in response to: triciam

A couple who RSVP'd that they were coming, then no-showed, never explained and never apologized (ex-friends, obviously!)
myra@classysassyweddings.com

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

People just amaze me!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: triciam

Ladies,

I think mine are the people who are shocked, SHOCKED, that I don't use my husband's last name.

I've had people get downright angry at me, telling me I'm not committed to my marriage, planning to get divorced, etc. Every year I get a couple of Christmas cards from a few of these folks, addressed to "Dr and Mrs".

The weirdest one was when a long-ago boss found out. He was one who said, point blank, that it doesn't sound like I was committed to the marriage. Mind you, he was a divorced and remarried man. I was, and still am, married to my one-and-only husband.

In the early years of my marriage, I found that upsetting. Now, I just laugh. Oh, and I've seen a few of those naysayers though multiple marriages of their own.

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

When we tell people that my husband took my name instead of the other (traditional) way around, some reactions were: "are you serious?". Well, obviously.

I thought that was really rude. It might be uncommon for the husband to give up his name but it's not unheard of.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

Heh, the funniest rude thing I've experienced was a drunk guy insisting to me that I couldn't possibly be married because I look too young. It was more funny than offensive, particularly since he was so adamant about it, as if something he said would make me decide I was not. After laughing at him for a few minutes, I finally told him that he must be right, but since I'm too young to be married, I am definitely too young to be talking to a man his age. That shut him up. (Side note: I really don't look that young. People who have never met me usually mistake me at first for a few years younger than I am, but I doubt I could pass for younger than mid-20s. Except to drunk guys, apparently.)

I really can't think of any real rudeness, other than a nosy coworker occasionally speculating on whether I'm pregnant. She learned quickly not to ask directly, though, as my response was an innocent, 'Why, do I look fat?'

Honestly, I don't really get offended by much. Most of the time, I think people mean well, but some people are clueless when it comes to personal boundaries. How someone like my coworker gets to be 61 years old without learning that you're never supposed to ask someone if they're pregnant is beyond me...but they're out there. And most of them don't realize that their nosiness is as rude as it is - or they think that you're closer friends than you really are, so it's Ok for them to ask really personal questions. As for the strangers, I have no answer except that a lot of people are just clueless. I wouldn't let it bother me too much, though. Just make it clear where your boundaries are.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

The wife of a close friend of my FH's asked him how much he paid for my ring. She also told him that we are spending too much on our wedding (never did we mention our budget -because our reception is at the Hilton- people assume it's really expensive.) Good thing they declined the invitation! :)

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

I asked my WP to wear silver shoes, their choice of style. My MOH told me to my face she thought silver shoes were tacky and therefore she and another BM were planning on wearing white shoes. Long story short, they wore silver!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

The same MOH (who lives in another state) constantly made remarks about me, my family, my state being a bunch of rednecks and hicks. I'm from Missouri, ok we're not in-bred hillbillies. When she drove in and I asked where she was on the highway, all she said was "in the sticks". I live just west of St. Louis, there are no "sticks" between STL and where I live. She commented all the time (seriously mind you) about how she's never been to the deep south before. She mentioned while we were in a mall in West County that all the guys walked like farmers. What? Apparently STL has so many farms! And the kicker is, she's from Wisconsin!! Putting MO down for being full of farmers and hicks (which parts of MO do have either or both) while living in a town surrounded by farming communities. It made me so mad.

Then when I took her to our apartment, a cop drove by with his sirens on. She looked at me and said, 'Is that a cop? I hope you're safe here" with this real shocked look on her face. So she must think I live in the only hillbilly ghetto in the state. Her remarks still make me mad and it's been 7 months +, it made me so mad that she considered everyone to be farming and rednecks when WI is very much the same as MO. She said, after an hour at the mall, that the culture between WI and MO was so extremely different. I lived in WI for 4 years and MO the rest of my life, and never noticed any difference than the accents. Sorry for the rant, but it made me sooooo mad.
True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

I wrote a (possibly the) post on my rude friend, and it's so funny to see how many more rude things people have to deal with when they're around their wedding. I've had people ask how much my ring cost, how many carats it is (I usually tell people who ask "how big is it?" what my actual ring size is, a size 8). I've put on some weight recently and I had somebody ask me if I was having a shotgun wedding (nope, just big, fat, and happy someone loves me that way, thanks!). My cousins think that my parents are made of money and one asked me if I'm using my "trust fund" to pay for the wedding. There is no trust fund. I was brought up never to ask people about their money or how much things cost them. I've always felt embarrassed when people ask me about those things. Looks like a lot of you feel the same way!

My bridesmaids have been having an issue with my rude friend now too. She facebooked all my bridesmaids, my mom, and my sister and asked that they let her know as soon as they discuss any plans for a bridal shower because I would most likely f"orget to tell" her and as my friend, she still wants to be included. I'm not getting married for 16 months!!! She asked my bridesmaid (the one that was in her wedding also) if she could have the dress that she had her buy as a bridesmaids dress for her own wedding. She actually said "I'm going to have to have it taken in A LOT, but you don't ever go anywhere fancy enough to wear it and I think I'd get more use out of it, so if you're not going to wear it anymore, I was just thinking I could get the alterations done so I could wear it myself." That wasn't directed at me, but it was so weird and rude I had to share it with someone.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

Was Missouri even a southern state in the War Between the States? I mean...isn't St. Louis NORTH of the Mason Dixon line?

God...I wonder what the twit would have thought had she had to come here....Montgomery, Alabama....the CAPITAL of the Confederacy.

My worst was someone stopping us on the street at a baseball game asking if they were invited.

We also had 10 people no-show at our wedding after RSVPing yes. All but one of them apologized later.

1 - his mother had gone into the hospital two days before our wedding and died that day. I give him and his wife a pass. Acceptable excuse.

8 - one of the couple had the flu. I REALLY give them passes. They came down with it between friday evening and saturday morning.

1 - just a no show. (no pass for him!)

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine