desperately needing someone with great color matching skills!!

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

sweetnwild Posts : 1 Registered: 2/19/10
desperately needing someone with great color matching skills!!
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 12:48 PM

I have found a bridal gown that is absolutely gorgeous!! I am reluctant to purchase because it is oyster in color. I love white! I always wanted to wear white but, as hard as it may be to believe, the white does not look near as nice as the oyster color. In fact, the white dress looks like a totally different dress, even though it is the same dress but different color.

My problem: if I purchase this oyster colored dress, I think it will mess up my whole color scheme. My husband-to-be and his crew will be wearing white and black. My wedding colors are fushia and orange! The flower girl has her dress already and it's white. I feel like white brings everything together and is so much crisper; fresher. Do you agree?? I am a bold person and want bold colors. I don't want shades of this and that and lighter colors, pastels, etc. I am getting married in the summer time and the bolder the better!!!

Can I pull off the oyster dress and still have my color scheme???

I would love it if someone would send be wedding pics of brides that aren't in white. I need a visual.

Thanks ladies!!

Fabulous!Cool

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Re: desperately needing someone with great color matching skills!!
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: sweetnwild

The oyster color looks more beige/ivory than greyish to me... I read that "'oyster' is a shade of ivory that shimmers when the light hits it" but I've don't recall seeing the color in person. IMO, your dress doesn't have to be the same color as the flower girls white or any other 'white' in the wedding. Since you're the bride, it's acceptable for you to stand alone. Myra made a good suggestion of including the oyster color in with the gm's attire.

Here is a comparison of colors:

the shrug and band on this dress are oyster while the dress itself is ivory.
Wedding dress - Imogen wedding dress with Naomi Shrug

oyster:

another oyster:

this one is champagne

Ivory?

diamond white
This image was found on BravoBride.com  This is a diamond white, french taffeta, sweetheart neckline strapless dress designed by Maggie Sottero

check out our wedding website: www.shawnandkathaeleen.brides.com

clb112481 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/15/10
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: sweetnwild

Hi,

I was in a wedding last august where the bride wore a Maggie Sottero in oyster and the bridesmaids wore a bright pink color and the moh wore an orange tone. The flowers were also pink and orange, but it worked out beautifully. It was by the beach, so the guys wore khaki pants with white shirts, and navy blazers (not my preference), but the colors all still worked. In the end, it all worked well and I think you will be happiest if you go with the color scheme you love. She had done silver shoes and jewelry for the girls to tie in the color, I think it can work. Good luck!

PDXBrides Posts : 2 Registered: 3/8/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: sweetnwild

I agree with Myra: I think you can tie these colors together and make it work. Above all, you should wear the dress you love on your wedding day, and not settle for a color that is less flattering on you. There are so many ways to tie in champagne/oyster colors as they are a lovely neutral. Plus, this is such a sophisticated look! I think you will be glad you went ahead with the dress you love because you will feel so beautiful in it and it will show. You can add touches of color to your bridal veil/fascinator or hair flower, pearls in your jewelry, matching hair clips on your bridesmaids, the sash or cummerbunds, shoes, ribbons on your flowers, tulle swags or chair backs, etc. Here is a cool color wheel you can play with. See if you can get a swatch of the gown color, or take in a few pieces of ribbon so you can compare and make sure you are matching to the right hue (is it a cooler gray oyster or warmer beige?). Once you have a ribbon or swatch that matches, you can take it off and start matching other accessories. Good luck!
-Ellen Marie Ellen Marie Vintage Birdcage Veils, Feather Fascinators, and Bridal Accessories Located in beautiful Portland, Oregon

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: PDXBrides

Its so wierd how a specific color can look so different from brand to brand! I worked at a bridal store for awhile and we had a dress in oyster and it was almost a pale metallicy bluish-greyish color.

If its a warm oyster like most of the ladies on here say it is, I would stick with your color combo, it will totally work!

If it is a cooler oyster, and it sounds like you havent commited to the orange in your pallete, you could still use fuschia and maybe a navy blue or a gunmetal grey or something. That would be gorgeous!

Your unique dress color sounds fabulous either way and I'm sure you will find something that works :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: sweetnwild

Black Strapless Sweetheart Layered Drape Hi-low Prom Dress With Beads
Save up to 31% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $178.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/black-strapless-sweetheart-layered-drape-hilow-prom-dress-with-beads-p-32379.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine