Invitation Question

Online Users: 1,292 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Invitation Question
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 9:26 PM

Quick question: should I include the address of the ceremony location on the invitation, or should I put the full address on the directions card only?

I feel like it looks more formal without it (formal is what we're going for), but will everyone read the directions card?

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Invitation Question
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

Dear Amy,

I would consider Murphy's Law. If something can go wrong, it will.

You might have people grabbing the invitation as they go out the door, then forgetting the direction card. Maybe they have a GPS in their car or on their iPod.

Then, while on the way, they go to program in the address and whoops, it isn't there.

Put it in the invitation.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

You can get GPS on an iPod?

wow.

I think I might actually disagree with Aunt.
I think putting the full address would make it look a bit more cluttered.

And that's what a directions card is for, right? You provided them with the full address. People would be silly not to look at something that comes with their invitations--it is obviously providing knowledge. And yes, there are silly people...but you shouldn't have to change your invitation to accommodate a few possible fools.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Dear BTS,

"You can get GPS on an iPod?"

iPhone. I stand corrected.

(See, there you go! Murphy's Law!)

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks ladies. In the end I decided to leave it up to FH because my family and friends already know where the church is. I don't know if FH is deciding to put it on the invitation or not.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

I was just helping DH's cousin with this same dilemma last week. Since you including the information on the directional card, I don't think you need to have the full address of the ceremony location on the invitation too. I think it would look crowded and redundant.

I understand AOTB's point about Murphy's Law, but I feel that most of the guests will be grown adults. After you provide them with the address in any form, its up to them to get themselves there.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

An address is only two additional lines. Put it in - it's easier for everybody.

When I get a wedding invitation, I don't read every insert in detail. I basically just glance at the names and location (as in city and state - I don't care about the venue at that point). Then I toss it in a drawer until I'm ready to respond. A few weeks later, I dig it out and send in the response card and find the couple's website, so I can book a hotel. As I'm leaving for the airport or to drive to the wedding, I grab the invitation. I'm probably in a rush, and if I'm heading straight to the wedding, I'm dressed up and carrying a smaller purse than normal, so I usually grab the absolute minimum. I'll grab the invitation itself, figuring I can program the address and get directions on my way there. I never even look at direction cards, except perhaps very briefly while I'm looking for something else in the invitation.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SamW Posts : 6 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 2:14 AM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

Just an idea, I don't know if it's tacky or not, but my thought was to maybe put a contact phone number on the back of invitations. Chances are, if they do leave in a rush and only have the invite, they will at some point flip it over hoping for a magical map to appear on the back. But if they find a phone number, of say the MOH or your or his mother, they can call. Lost guests avoided, cluttering the invite avoided.

-Sam

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine