What's Your Favorite Bridal Fashion Trend?

Online Users: 1,343 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 27

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
What's Your Favorite Bridal Fashion Trend?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 6:21 AM

I personally love vintage/antique bridal jewelry, seeing brides in non-white dresses, birdcage veils, and hats on brides in lieu of traditional veils.

What about you guys?

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Re: What's Your Favorite Bridal Fashion Trend?
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

This isn't exactly a trend but i love heirloom pieces. I will be wearing my grandmother's necklace and my engagement ring was my FH's grandmothers

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

colored gem engagement rings <g>

Misty

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat, I like gemstone rings too. I just love a lot of color, and being surrounded by it. My mom always jokes that my wedding will look like a circus! Haha, who knows, maybe it will!

I also love kilts. Something about a groom/groomsman who is man enough to wear a skirt.... *;)

What do you ladies think of brides who carry fans/lanterns/etc. in lieu of traditional bouquets? I once saw a bride who was carrying a muff (hold your laughter, girls!) as her "item", but it worked out perfectly with her dress and winter wedding. Simply gorgeous.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 5:51 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I love-love-love the birdcage veils... Which is why I had one!

Couldn't believe how much they were charging for them at bridal shops though! My GOH and I designed mine ourselves, we bought a silk rose hair clip from Claires in the mall, and bought two different kinds of veil stuff (which is super-cheap from a fabric store!) and then played with different ideas all one afternoon till it looked right.

We had a great time, and it turned out beautiful!

~~ Sunshine <3 Love <3 Plushies <3 Weirdness ~~

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Van: My DH wore a kilt, as did his brother the Best Man

I think carrying something different is a great thing to do, if it fits with the bride's personality and wedding. In lieu of a fllower girl, I had a flame bearer who lit the path for us.

I love it when people use different things to precede the event...bells, bubbles, candles.

Misty

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Holly, that's awesome! I'd love to see a pic of your DIY veil.

Cat, I am picturing a little boy walking down the aisle with a torch, and I love it. Call it the Viking in me coming out. Maybe I'll do that someday, but I'd have to stick a pair of Viking horns on the boy first, and some fur covered armor. *;)

Oh, here's another trend I love, though some of the girls on this site would gasp in shock (or possibly horror) at the thought.... Grooms planning the entire wedding! My friend's older sister got married last year, and had literally no interest in planning anything but marrying the groom, so she left creative reign entirely up to him. He did it all: flowers, decorations, the cake (though she contributed with the taste testing, of course), booking the band to play their reception, picking the venues, every last detail! It ended up being one of the most beautiful weddings I had ever seen! (And she was a birdcage veiled bride, too!)

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

well... one of my friends (who was my florist) IS a wedding and event planner. The bride just had to pick out her dress and show up. She loved it. (He's one of those people who can touch anything and it just turns to gold. Makes me sick. <G>) He took a couple of our photos, since his apprentice was our photographer. She did a great job, don't get me wrong. But I know which ones he took...and not just because I saw him grab the camera from her to do it. Out of the nearly 1000 photos we got, I put 75 on Facebook. All three of his are there.

And my profile shot? While he didn't take it, he directed her where to sit and me where to stand. It's my favorite shot of just me from my wedding. So yeah, if you marry someone like him, just sit back and enjoy!

Misty

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I hear you, Cat. To be honest, if my BF wanted to plan our wedding, I'd let him. Though his style is eccentric and "out there", it suits both of us perfectly, and he knows what little things are important to me, so I would have the utmost confidence in letting him plan it all out. Save me a few panic attacks! ....But he's said the only thing he has any interest in planning is what he and his groomsmen would be wearing (kilts and tux jackets), and the wedding cake (the boy has an obsession with cake, DON'T ask). So, what can you do? *:P

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 2:41 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Cat - our families blew bubbles over us as we walked down the aisle!

Van - here you go...

015.jpg picture by green-robot

We used two kinds of veiling- a wide-hole net and a fine mesh.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 6:10 AM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Oh my gosh, you made that?! I wish I were that crafty, it looks fantastic.

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Holly:

Post your veil on the DIY Veil thread. (I love how you went with a non-traditional color)

http://www.brides.com/forums/fashion-focus/thread.jspa?messageID=580787򍲳

Misty

PDXBrides Posts : 2 Registered: 3/8/10
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I personally love the totally unique bridal hair clips, fascinators, and yes--the fab little sassy birdcage veils. Whether you get one at the bridal store, online, at Etsy or 1000Markets, or make it yourself, they are really fun to wear and look awesome! I also like the current blush wedding trend - who says a little color can't be worn by the bride? Plus, blush is a soft and pretty color next to your face (not everyone looks great in white). I say be unique and wear something you like...and don't feel you have to look like every other bride out there.
-Ellen Marie Ellen Marie Vintage Birdcage Veils, Feather Fascinators, and Bridal Accessories Located in beautiful Portland, Oregon

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: PDXBrides

Just out of curiousity, has anyone noticed any new trends with the bridal veil, aside from the birdcage look?

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Some trends that I love

1. Cocktail length dresses
2. Sleeves
3. Lace
4. Peep hole backs

Van--some other cool things that are alternatives to just the traditional wedding veil is wearing a hat with a veilhttp://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/vintage_style_files/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cocktail-hat-boring-sidney.jpghttp://www.utahbrideblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pill-box-hat.jpg

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine