Birth Control

Online Users: 1,345 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 10

Waleska Posts : 8 Registered: 2/19/10
Birth Control
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 8:42 PM

Ladies, I am quite skeptical of hormonal drugs. After I had my son I got the paraguard iud. It works wonderful for me, no pains, accidents, infections, weight gain, all that other stuff. However, my fiance feels otherwise. When we have sex it's uncomfortable for him. So I have decided to try a different form of birth control. What is an effective brand of birth control pill that does not really harm your body, less side effects from your opinion?
Ms. Wes.... Happiness is what I long for!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Birth Control
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: Waleska

I've used VCF - vaginal contraceptive film. It melts to form a barrier (that can't be felt) and has monoxydyl-9 in it.

It has a high success rate and is good for 4 hours. But it's one of those things that you can use only once.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Waleska - this is such a hard question! Everyone's body is different, and people may not respond the same way to a certain pill that others do.

With that said, I really liked Ortho-Tricyclen Lo (a lower dose of hormones). Previously, I was on Alesse. Alesse was okay, but I started to have a lot of breakthrough bleeding, which wasn't fun! I also think that OTL affected my mood less.

BC pills really don't make you gain weight - that's mostly a myth, unless it's a bit of water retention.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I think it's really a matter of trial and error.

I used Yasmin for many years and loved it, but I also know of people who HATED it. (I tried the lower dose, Yaz, but really preferred the higher dose).

Currently I'm on Nuvaring. I'm not sure if you'd have the same problem with it that you are having with the IUD though. DH and I don't, but I don't know about others.

LeopardPrintBride Posts : 17 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Waleska

I have to say that I am personally a big supporter of non-hormonal options for birth control such as the barrier method, the rhythm method, etc., because I have gigantic issues with any and all hormonal forms of birth control. I experienced vaginal pain, acne, and depression when using the NuvaRing, but I know others who love it to death. It's a matter of how your body reacts to the cocktail of hormones and additives in the medication, really.

If at all possible, I suggest something non-hormonal and non-committal, where you can change your method as often as you'd like, such as condoms, spermicide, the film, etc. but this is just my personal two cents!

- - - - - - - -

18. Young bride-to-be. Cohabitating. Planning an Oct. 2011 wedding.

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: LeopardPrintBride

That seems bizarre that your fiance finds your IUD uncomfortable, considering your IUD is implanted in your uterus?

There is a string attached to it, however. I had one for 5 years, but I could never feel the string, even though every Pap I went too, my gyno saw it was right there...

I would check and make sure your IUD isn't being expelled...thats the only way I would think you could feel anything that would make sex uncomfortable...

Waleska Posts : 8 Registered: 2/19/10
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: SarahSarah

I have an appt later this month for my yearly check up so my doctor will explain to me whats going on. I believe its the two wire strings that are scratching him. He told me he doesn't feel it all the time but when he does he has to find a different position so it's not so uncomfortable.
Ms. Wes.... Happiness is what I long for!

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: Waleska

I think sometimes they can shorten the strings, so I would ask about that!

JessicaLong Posts : 29 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: Waleska

Each woman responds differently to each, so unfortunately it's a trial and error thing. Personally, Ortho and Ortho-Lo worked best for me.

I would also advise you to stay far away from Yaz/Yasmin. I had my gallbladder removed in 2008 after being on Yasmin for a little over a year. Although it is listed as a "rare" side effect, I would strongly encourage you to stay away from Yasmin/Yaz and Bayer in general. It's hard to say with 100% certainty that Yasmin was the only factor, but considering I was 23, lead a very healthy lifestyle, and have no history of gallbladder disease in my family.... not to mention the thousands of similar lawsuits with claims of gallbladder disease, DVT, heart attack, stroke.. yeah, I would STRONGLY advise against it.

I had great luck with Ortho and Ortho-Lo- never should have switched. I think there is a reason Ortho is the tried-and-true cotroceptive pill and has been around since the 60's. The "new" pills traditionally have fewer side effects because of the synthetic progestin, but there is clearly a need for further testing/research into the dangerous side effects.

Also, be sure to give the new method several months for your body to adjust Anytime I changed pills, my body freaked out for the first 3-4 months. It's frustrating and time-consuming to try out different pills, so make sure you really want to switch around in the first place! :)

MicahEJ Posts : 7 Registered: 1/30/10
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: Waleska

I just went on the Implanon implant at the end of January. It seemed to be the best choice for me and FH. It stays in for up to 3 years but can be taken out sooner. With two babies it's really hard to remember to take a pill every day and thought that it would probably the best long term choice. So far, so good. I haven't really had any problems with it. If your looking for something long term definitly consider it.

MICAH & CADE
"Come what may, I will love you until my dying day."

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 10:13 PM Go to message in response to: Waleska

That's a tough one. As the other posters posted, BC affects every women differently because our bodies just all function so differently. I have been on Yaz for a few years now and had very minimal weight gain (3 lbs), and haven't had any issues since. It works great with no side affects that I know of.
You should consult your doctor to see what options are available and what would work best for you. You might have to cycle through a few different kinds before finding the right one. There always are new things on the market.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine