Beach theme gift bags for OOT guests?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

SaraTheBride Posts : 12 Registered: 6/3/08
Beach theme gift bags for OOT guests?
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 4:24 PM

Hi everyone! I am having my wedding in Jamaica. My fiance and I were wanting to make gift bags for our guests. I have had suggestions like: sunglasses, flip flops, sunblock, etc ... Does anyone else have any suggestions? (We're still trying to do these relatively inexpensive) Toiletries are an option, and while they might be needed ... isn't that just a little boring?

Renee86 Posts : 159 Registered: 5/30/08
Re: Beach theme gift bags for OOT guests?
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:01 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

OOT bags are a great idea. However, I would try not to put too many things in them that they are already bringing themselves. For example, the sunscreen, I'm sure many are already going to bring sunscreen. Some nice flip flops or sunglasses are fine to put in though. Try putting something in there that deals with Jamaica. Like a souvenir, Jamaican treat/drink, bracelet/necklace, coffee, keychain, etc. Also for the flip flops, maybe find some with the Jamaican colors or flag.

You can also put other things in there that don't deal with Jamaica of course.  A disposable camera for example, just in case some may have forgotten to bring their own.

Depending on how long they will be there and how many guests you have, maybe you could put in a small gift card to a local restaurant.  

Also, you may be able to use a tote bag with "Jamaica" or something similar on it.

You can also put in a packet/brochure about different activities and places around the area if you haven't or don't plan to send that info to them ahead of time. 

Those are just some suggestions. There are plenty of other options too I'm sure. :-) 

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

I always say toothpaste because I always seem to forget it and who wants to be stuck at a resort without toothepaste. If you don't want to do toiletries in each bag you buy a few spares and put a little card in the basket stating you have extra for emergencies. I'd do a little poem like this:

You packed in a hurry and left in haste
Now you realize you forgot the toothpaste
No time to worry or fret or cry
We've got lots of exta so come on by

Extra toiletries available with _____ in room _______.

Tee0324 Posts : 41 Registered: 6/7/07
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

I would  do the flip flops--maybe in your wedding colors?  A list of local sights and eats...  And definately a trinket that says Jamiaca--keychains in the shape of the island would be cute but not so blatent as one that acutally says "Jamiaca."  A treat that is locally made would be a nice finish--some kind of bagged candy or snack.  You can also put something fun in there like rasta hat with extensions for laughs!

DuecesWild Posts : 24 Registered: 11/8/07
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

regge Cd,  travel guide book (could be one you assamble yourself), cute beach towel,  sarong (you might be able to order them online for cheap)  travel candles in those little tins,  cute candies or cookies, mini booze bottles of jamaican rum....

lachapstickfana... Posts : 5 Registered: 1/7/10
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

I am probably getting married in Jamaica too and I was wondering: how are you going to travel with your OOT bags? I want to put all of these goodies in there but I am wondering what the best way is to get them there.

"a girl should be two things: classy and fabulous"

- Coco Chanel 

www.lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com 

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

re: sunscreen.

When I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, an item I intentionally did not pack was the sunscreen. Why? Because I figured they would have better sunscreens for their sun than I do here in Alabama. I was right...I found one that I actually brought home for my mother. At that time, I'd never seen a 75 sunscreen. (It kinda weirded me out. It went on like spackle <G>). Now, I see it here...but in 2007, it was pretty unprecedented.

Some of your guests might have that in mind too.

re: getting the stuff there

Post Office. It is your friend. Why lug all that stuff around when doing the Atlanta Sprint when you can mail it to your hotel and have it waiting for you (be sure to call them and let them know you're doing so). It's also less expensive to mail it than to check it. (this is true also for the stuff you buy while there, even accounting for international postal rates.)

re: the bags

Keep in mind, less is more here...since it is a destination wedding. Anything you give them that is not perishable will have to be ported home.

1. Jamaica bag is a great idea. But how to get them before you get there? How about designing your own? Depending on how many you're giving, you might go ahead and do something from a place like http://www.justembroideredtotes.com/ (I got my bridesmaids' totes there....LOVED them). You can get them all a lovely tote in your colors, with a cute saying, or just a lovely picture...she has a lot of beachy pictures to choose from for embroidering) Something like: Romancing the Jamaican Sun 2010 - with a picture of a sun or something

2. Post cards (pick up in the hotel when you get there). Use these for thank you notes for coming.

3. Itinerary and contact numbers

4. Snacks/Munchies. You can either go with local favorites or with favorites from home. This might be the hardest part.

The drawback is that it will be very difficult to assemble your bags before your guests get there, unless you're arriving the day before. OTOH, there are places where you can get some souvenirs online. http://www.seejamaicacheaply.com/shopping_jamaican_soveniers.html so that you can order the items, assemble the bags, and have the box shipped with the bags pre-assembled (that will also allow you greater creation flexibility.

If your hotel is really one that is customer friendly, you might be able to send the box to the attention of your coordinator, and ask her to give the bags out on check in (but that would be assuming you have pre-assembled.

Misty

HummingbirdHall... Posts : 10 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

How about Jamaican candles? Starfish oils (www.starfishoils.com/) have wonderful island-inspired hand-scented candles and aromatherapy products. I'm not affilitated with them, but their products smell DECLICIOUS - almost edible - your guests will love them!

Have a great wedding!

PS you actually wont have to worry about bringing them to Jamaica..they have stores in Ocho Rios and Kingston (Devon House), and are sold widely in other shops on the island

Jamaica: Once You Go - You Know!

Hummingbird Hall, Jamaica: http://www.hummingbirdhall.com/

Destination Wedding Jamaica

Jane0605 Posts : 14 Registered: 10/1/09
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 8:02 PM Go to message in response to: SaraTheBride

Since the wedding is over, I'm sure this is not an issues anymore, but incase someone else is reading this post, in addtion to all the great ideas above. (and there are some really great ides!) if you google "beach themed gift bags" under products there are some really cool (although not cheap) one. Hope you had a great wedding and if you ever check this posting, what did you decide?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine