Wedding Cake Cost

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Wedding Cake Cost
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:08 PM

Hello!

I know there has been past threads about this but I was trying to find the slightly more recent ones and was only finding ones from like 2006--prices could even have changed by then.

What was the cost of your wedding cake?

Another thread just posted in the Etiquette forum asked about wedding cake vs cupcakes and I immediately went to the website of a local gourmet cupcake place that I absolutely love.

They do weddings and charge $2.00 per cupcake.
They also do gluten free and vegan cupcakes incase anybody needs that.

They also let you rent a tiered cake stand to hold the cupcakes for $10.00 and decorate the stand with ribbon.

Additional decorations such as flowers are an additional cost.

I was just wondering whether this sounds like a good deal or not. How it compares to cakes that you ladies had or plan on having, etc.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Wedding Cake Cost
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Our wedding cake total cost was $480. This included the following:

1. Cake serving 100 people
2. Anniversary cake tier (100 people were served from the bottom and middle layer. The 100 figure was not including the cake in the top tier... we considered this to be a HONEYMOON CAKE)
3. Diabetic cake to serve 10
4. Delivery and set up
5. Tax

I know a lot of brides have gotten a better deal on their cakes; however, as we had the added requirement for a baker who could do a diabetic cake, our options were quite limited. (The diabetic cake tasted sweeter than the regular, btw). If you don't have a constraint, you really can shop around a lot more. We had a selection between two bakers. We did go with the least expensive of the two--but there were more reasons than just price that made us choose them.

1. a. Baker A was on time for our appointment;
b. Baker was 20 minutes late

2. a. Baker provided the specific flavor of cake that we wanted to try -- specifically the diabetic cake, as we had tried the main cake flavor at a bridal show (we were going to go with lemon pound cake with raspberry. He told us we could, but their SPECIALTY was the sour cream pound cake. We were not disappointed). He baked a fresh diabetic spice cake (the specific flavor we requested..not "what are your flavors") his staff enjoyed it for a week too, I saw them at a bridal show about two weeks after our tasting DH wanted a spice cake for the diabetic cake. They had four flavors : Vanilla, Lemon, Chocolate, and Spice.

b. Baker was requested to provide basic cake (as we had not seen her at a bridal event), a lemon cake, and her diabetic cake.... she only had one flavor -- chocolate. She brought lemon, plain, and regular chocolate -- frozen cakes that she reheated. And she didn't bring the diabetic.

3. a. Had a commercial kitchen where all the baking was done.
b. Baked out of her home. The office was just her sales floor.

4. a. Baker was a certified confectionary and pastry chef, who also happened to be diabetic
b. Baker used the Sweet & Low cake mix (!) for her diabetic cakes.

5. a. Was the least expensive
b. Would have cost us $100 more to get a cake that was not the same quality as A's. To get the 'same cake' (Sour cream pound cake with raspberry filling and buttercream icing), it would have cost us $200 more

Of course, by the time Baker B showed up, DH and I had decided that she would have to be $100 less for us to use her, because it was worth $100 for someone we could trust to be on time. By the time we were done with our tasting, I don't think any price differential would have gotten us to use her.

Our wedding was Celtic-inspired Rustic/Fall The cake fit in perfectly, and got a lot of rave reviews on both looks and taste. It was well worth $500

We had 75 guests.

The yellow Tier went with us. The red tier was gone. The green bits that you can see from under the red tier was gone. Leftover cake was about the amount of the red tier itself (it was served at church the next day... and was gone).

While my cake was supposed to serve 100... it really served about 130.

The leaves were actually supposed to be pastiallage. However, weather conditions on our wedding day caused a problem with the pastiallage (it is apparently rather sensitive). The baker called me with options: Go with pastiallage, but she could not guarantee it would not be mushy and very unattractive; use plastic leaves; or use rice paper. I chose rice paper. A detail that I didn't even notice until looking at my pictures was that they matched the leaves to the layer they were on, and then the bottom ones were more multi-colored. I was really impressed with their communication (Prepare yourselves for this... problems happen, and vendors will call you with solutions to let you make the final call on it. Ultimately, I'd rather they gave me the choice rather than giving me what I ordered when it would look awful) Hand drawn, hand painted, and cut out rice paper leaves were a nice touch.

Many bakers will give you a list of flavors they offer, price for each flavor, price for filling, price for icing, price for multiple flavors, price for decoration (# of flowers for # price, for example), price for delivery (THIS IS WORTH PAYING FOR. YOU drop your wedding cake... YOUR problem. THEY drop your wedding cake...THEIR problem. Plus, you want them to assemble it on site. Its not like they hand over a three tier monster poundage cake to put in your Honda Accord. They hand over three boxes with cake in them.)

Also, in a competition between yummy cake and beautiful cake, go for yummy. Guests will remember yummy a whole lot longer than pretty. So will you. (I'm tempted to go to wedding shows just to get some more of that cake <G> )

ALSO... ask them if they will provide you with an anniversary cake or afford you the opportunity to purchase one. Some won't make orders that small, except for prior customers. Academy Events (our baker) will only sell cakes that small to their brides.

Misty

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat, I always love the stories and details of your wedding.

Couple questions for you--and for other posters I suppose as well.

What is an anniversary cake?
And, say I have 120 guests confirmed--how many cupcakes should I be buying? 1 cupcake per person? More than 1 cupcake per person?

Cat, you said that your cake for 100 really served about 130.

I'm assuming that not everybody would have a cupcake--but I'm sure people would appreciate more than 1 cupcake, especially since I would probably have multiple flavours (i always have a hard time deciding between flavour--the easy solution is to have more than one!) So what would you suggest there?

On the website it says that she charges $2 per cupcake for weddings (they are always equally priced)--I don't know if that would include delivery--probably not.

Thanks again Cat!
Looking forward to more posters sharing!

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:12 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Traditionally, the top tier of the wedding cake (our yellow layer) would be frozen for one year and then eaten on our first anniversary. Getting with the fact that (A) a lot of anniversary cakes tend to get freezer burn and are inedible because of not being frozen correctly and (B) a lot of couples just can't wait since they really didn't get to enjoy their cake at the wedding (You won't. We'll TELL you to do so, but you won't <G>) so they eat it before then, several bakers are offering either a free anniversary cake for the couple as part of the price (you order it about a month before your anniversary) or the opportunity to buy an anniversary cake.

My baker does not actually deal in the small volume single cakes like some do. They are specifically an events caterer, so they give their couples the opportunity to order an anniversary cake (We called during our honeymoon, right after we ate the last piece <G>) DH has actually said he is looking forward to our anniversary because he is salivating over the cake.

With cupcakes, if you're doing two flavors (try to narrow it down to two to three), Depending on the flavor, I'd order at least 150 for 100 people....though truly, I'd go closer to 200. I had a lot of people actually go back for 2nd and 3rds of my cake. With cake, you control the size of the slices...with cupcakes, you cannot. Also, ask your baker about it. She does wedding cupcakes (that means that she takes a bit more care with the decorating <G>), so she is probably pretty familiar with how people eat them. Besides, if you have a couple dozen left over, take them with you on your honeymoon and enjoy them then!

(with me... if you had carrot cake and red velvet, I'd not eat any cupcakes. Carrot cake is a vegetable dressed up as a dessert. And I don't know what red velvet thinks it is. Yech! I'm also an oddball. But if you were doing lemon chiffon and chocolate, I'd want one of each. I might do a "honey, you get this and I'll get that and we'll share." But what if his was yummier than mine!!! <G>)

Misty

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:25 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Ah so it would be more expensive than I thought.

My first reaction was--about 120 people--$2 dollars per person= $240--what a steal! With taxes and the tiered cake platform and maybe some flowers--$300. Sounded good to me!

But if I was getting more like 200 cupcakes--that comes to $400
Than with tax & buying the tiered cake platform--we're showing up at around $475.
That $475 is closer to what I orginally was expecting for a price of a wedding cake for the amount of guests we will be inviting.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

We're spending 300 on a cake for 150 people. This includes tax, delivery, and set up.

Our is a 3-tier white cake with buttercreme icing. There is going to be small yellow polka dots all over the middle tier, and the other two tiers are going to be frosting stars or whatever they're called.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

We spent about $500 on ours, and the delivery/set up charge was something that I absolutely would NOT cave on with DH. He wanted to pick it up himself, but I was very firm about that. In the end, he came around and agreed it was worth the fee.
The cake was awesome, we had plenty extra, tasted great and looked exactly like we wanted. We looked at several bakers websites, and then met with a couple and picked ours based on her portfolio and the taste samples she had. We kept the top layer for a month, although I'm sure it would have lasted longer just fine. We also had a lot left over from the serving layer, but with our design which was unique (not traditional at all) would have looked funny if we'd of made it smaller really.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

ArtistMade Posts : 3 Registered: 3/1/10
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

by no means choose the wedding cake based on price. i suggest shopping around...maybe 3-5 places locally that specialize. wedding cake should be the best cake you have ever had. reception halls often have a person that makes cakes or a person they suggest trying, and there's usually a reason that they keep that person/place around....the quality! but again, i suggest it not going on cost, but the sample cake that you get in advance. my cake was so amazing, i bought a second sample, and i'm NOT a cake person

kaylasqui05 Posts : 15 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: ArtistMade

I definately agree with not choosing cake based on cost. A cheap cake could taste horrible but then again could be the best cake you've ever tried. Shop around and sample cakes.

Ours is going to cost us $400 for both cakes and set up. We are having a 3 tier square cake with buttercream icing, no fondant and colored ribbon around the bottom of each layer in aqua and mickey mouse heads (hidden mickeys) scattered all around the cake in the icing along the bottoms. and for the grooms cake it will be shaped like a football and have his favorite team logo onit.

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: ArtistMade

Unfortunately cost will be a bit of an issue--cost is going to be an integral factor in every element of my wedding.

Obviously if I am comparing 2 cakes and the $500 cake is significantly more delicious than the $450 cake--I will go for the $500.

But if it's between ordering a $600 cake and a $400 cake and the $400 cake is still delicious, but maybe not quite as delicious as the $600--I would probably go for the $400 cake.

I do have a budget. The cake will have a part in my budget. So price will be a factor.

And I will also try to go under budget as well.

PS. This doesn't mean I am going to feed my guests dry cupcakes.

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I understand/respect budget...but don't choose a crappy vendor no matter how much you'll save...and like I highlighted in my above post, don't just look at the taste of the cake, evaluate the vendor too. Had the baker we chosen actually been the higher priced of the two, instead of the less costly, we would have still chosen that baker (even at a $200 price differential), due to all of the reasons outlined.

It is not just about cake flavor and cost -- there are a lot of things.

Do they bake on site where you visit? (This is actually pretty important). Our pricier vendor did not do her baking on site, and we couldn't see how she kept it. We could see how her store front was kept. It was organized a bit like my house, which is to say...'not". No, it wasn't DIRTY, but it was not pristine either. If I can't see her kitchen, I have only one bit of surroundings to check out, and I was not impressed with that.

Do they accomodate your requests? Did you ask to sample a particular flavor, did they provide that flavor? (the pricier vendor did NOT accomodate our request)

Did they respect you as a client and show up on time? If they couldn't make the appointment, did they call you? (Our late baker had actually previously called to reschedule an appointment we had on a different day. So first she rescheduled us, then she was late)

Don't sacrifice YOUR sanity for a lower price. You may not have bakers with as stark of a difference as we did.

(Here's the funny part: while we were on our honeymoon, a couple who was getting married and who had had our cake contacted me for the name of our baker, which I HAPPILY provided. They deserved the recommendation. My baker was busy on her day and unable to take the job. So my friend contacted BAKER B <not upon my recommendation...and had I known, I'd have recommended against>. Her cake, a pound cake, was dry and unflavorful. Very disappointing. She thought it was beautiful, but was not impressed with the cake itself. She also had in her mind that her cake was going to taste like mine, and it was awful. She later told me that mine was much better the day after the wedding than hers was freshly cut. We chose wisely.)

Misty

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

My aunt and cousin both do cakes so I just need to pay for the cost of the materials. the labor is my wedding gift. :)

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I do want to add that those silver things that a lot of cakes perch on do cost to rent. You can buy one cheaper than the rental at hobby lobby or michaels and take it to the baker, or your can ask them to do something like what we have (that wood thing was free and we liked it better)

Misty

Colelle Posts : 48 Registered: 6/21/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I'm super excited about my cake! A tip I have is to try to find unqiue bakeries--my cake is going to be from a Dutch Bakery.

My mom went with me for the sample/consultation and OMG. They had like 6 flavors to taste-- chocolate cake w/chocolate Bavarian creme filling, chocolate cake with mocha creme filling, vanilla cake with strawberry filling + vanilla bavarian creme filling, vanilla cake with lemon creme + vanilla bavarian creme filling, poppy seed cake with raspberry and vanilla bavarian creme filling, and carrot cake. All were topped with a light, buttercream frosting.

Wow. They were all so light, moist, and flavorful! Seriously, best cake I've ever had.

I order 3 tiers, but they won't be stacked, they'll each be on their own individual stands. The flavors I got for each cake are vanilla cake w/vanilla bavarian creme and lemon filling, lemon poppyseed with raspberry and vanilla creme filling, and chocolate cake with chocolate bavarian creme filling. YUM.

It's costing me $2.50 per slice for 115 people. No extra charge for fillings. There's a charge for the cake stands and a small charge for delivery. All together I think it totaled $300.

The bakery sells slices of cake, so I got some for my dad and aunt, and they were in heaven.

Try looking up French bakeries or other European bakeries--there are some of those throughout my state and they all have great cakes for weddings, they would have been my next choice.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

A-line Gold Halter Sweetheart Drape Beaded Open Back Prom Dress With Sweep Train
Save up to 16% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $168.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-halter-sweetheart-drape-beaded-open-back-prom-dress-with-sweep-train-p-31800.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine