vegetarian tips?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
vegetarian tips?
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 12:00 PM

I'm not Catholic, but in the spirit of lent I've given some thought to cutting meat out of my diet. I've been thinking about it for some time due to health reasons, not animal rights. FH and have talked about it and he thinks I could do it and is supportive. I'm not a big fan of meat as it is, so even though this would be a lifestyle change, I really think I could do it.With my wedding coming up in about a month I figured this would be a good trial run since I'm focusing on working out and a healthier lifestyle.

Do any of you have any suggestions or advice? Let me know what your experiences have been!

Thanks in advance :)

check out our wedding website: www.shawnandkathaeleen.brides.com

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: vegetarian tips?
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I'm not a vegetarian, but the big thing is to make sure you are getting what you need from what you are eating, esp. protein.

Here's a great veggie chili recipe that was a HUGE hit with the vegetarians and meat lovers when I had a chili party - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html

I actually used canned diced tomatoes and different kinds of beans - black, pink, cranberry and pinto or kidney. The beans really popped the flavor - not ALL beans are created equal. LOL

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

thanks for the recipe!

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I agree with Pharm - it's fine to go veg, just be sure you are getting all the nutrients to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I'm not a vegetarian, but FH and I only eat meat on rare occasions. We get most of our protien through milk products, nuts, beans and tofu (or tofu products). We cook alllll the time, so there really isn't much of an issue for us - if there is a recipe we find that we like, we simply replace the meat or meat products for veggies - ie, veggie stock for chicken stock, mushrooms, tofu and other veggies for meat, and so on...

One meal we make on a regular basis is buffalo 'chicken' wraps with Morning Star Buffalo 'Chicken' Nuggets - SOOOO GOOD. We throw the nuggets in the oven, chop veggies (usually lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, avocado, cucumber... pretty much whatever we have on hand), throw the veggies on a couple warm flour tortillas, add the nuggets, top with buffalo wing sauce, a little ranch and a little cheese! I am totally serious when i say you can't tell the nuggets are made from soy - mmm! :)

But yeah, good luck with it, keep us posted on how you do!

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

~Dr. Seuss

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I've been a veggie for the better part of the last 20 years. If you like to cook and try new foods in general, that will help. PharmTox had a good suggestion--just educate yourself about how to get good nutrition.

There are lots of good soy products on the market for meat replacement. I love Boca burgers and Morningstar Farms sausage patties. But it's not good to overdo it on soy, esp. if you get pregnant. There's some evidence that the phytoestrogens in it could affect fetal sexual development. There are other issues with it, too, but I don't know what all they are--I just make sure to eat soy products in moderation.

Some cookbooks I love:

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. A thick book with tons of good user-friendly recipes.

For more unusual/gourmet recipes: Crank's Bible and Secrets from a Vegetarian Kitchen by Nadine Abensur. Have fun and good luck!

preview image

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I do like to cook and try new recipes. I cook dinner almost every night and bring my lunch from home. Plus, FH eats whatever I cook, he's not picky at all.So, I think it would be simple for me to substitute where I typically use meat. My main concern is that i'm anemic and red meat is a good source of iron. But, even with the red meat I currently eat, I can't get to proper intake. I'll have to talk with my doc about this. .

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Green leafy veggies (not talking iceburg lettuce) are a good source of iron. But I would definitely talk to your Doc about that if you already have issues with low iron. My Mom had to go on a supplement.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I have been a vegetarian for about 4 years now and am going to culinary school--I have a fair amount of knowledge on the subject.

It's obvious, as everybody has listed, that attention has to be paid towards protein intake. A lot of foods have protein that people don't generally acknowledge--milk, cheese, nuts, quinoa and tempeh.

As a woman it is also important to have a good intake of iron--whole grains, dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, broccoli, etc.), lentils and soy products are excellent sources.

When you eat vegetarian, it is interesting to eat outside of American style cooking--I would recommend trying different ethnicities--curries, pad thai, etc.

I personally recommend cooking pad thai, a sweet potato curry with sweet potatoes on quinoa, etc.

You can also try some different things that you may not have thought about before--interesting ways to incorporate protein into veggie dishes.

Ex: Sauteed asparagus with nuts and teriyaki sauce. Or grilled sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms and zucchini with a pat of protein-rich goat cheese stirred in while it's still hot.

Grilled vegetables spill a lot of juices similar to meat which are equally delicious and can be tossed into pasta with limited fatty sauce added additionally. If you wanted to incorporate flavour in other ways--you can cook rice in vegetable stock rather than water, you can cook pasta in red wine.

I think vegetarianism is such a great opportunity to explore with flavours and techniques that maybe you haven't tried before. A lot of people see vegetarianism as a fairly limited diet but there are so many options to excite the palette.

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Everyone's given you good advice, and definitely go see your doc. I would just add to be sure to read the package of soy-substitute foods, because some of them are so very processed and not particularly healthy.

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I'm glad you started this thread because FH and I just decided to go veg about two weeks ago. We are also doing it primarily for health reasons (long history of high cholesterol, hypertension, and other hereditary things in both of our families). We were initially going to cut out meat slowly -- first by eliminating red meats, then poultry, etc... but we actually realized that it's easier for us to just go "cold turkey."

Since I'm new to vegetarianism, I don't have much advice but I would like to recommend vegcooking.com for recipes. I, too, cook almost every evening and FH isn't picky, so I've been selecting a new recipe to try each night and everything is working out well so far.

I'm looking forward to hearing more advice!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

MarissaRowland Posts : 33 Registered: 10/2/09
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Everyone else has already touched on the fact that protein is important when going veggie. Dont forget there are simple things like diet/protein shakes that are quick and easy ways to get protein on the go and fill you up a bit. That tip about asparagus and nuts with teriyaki sauce sounds amazing I'll have to try that! And I must say I'm quite intrigued by the pasta cooked in wine!! Yummmm!!

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 5:44 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Black Strapless Sweetheart Layered Drape Hi-low Prom Dress With Beads
Save up to 31% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $178.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/black-strapless-sweetheart-layered-drape-hilow-prom-dress-with-beads-p-32379.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine