What's for Dinner?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: What's for Dinner?
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: VntgGoth2010

Thanks!! I like artichokes but never know how to prepare them!

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

You ladies all cook such complicated stuff this thread makes me feel lame. Haha.

All I can make is pasta really. I'm working to get better at cooking though :D

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

VntgGoth2010 Posts : 57 Registered: 1/24/10
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

There are several other ways to prepare like roasted and a mayo based dipping sauce but I dislike Mayonaise so I stick to my tried and true vinegar artichokes.

There's another recipe I want to try that uses frozen artichoke hearts. I'll post once I make them and let you know how they came out.
When is my wedding

April2010Bride Posts : 134 Registered: 4/26/09
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: VntgGoth2010

We had entirely too much fattening concession food, last night, so tonight it's:

Broiled Talapia
Steamed Cauliflower & Broccoli
Baked Potatoes

Visit our Wedding Website!  www.theknot.com/OurWedding/TanyaEdwards&RichardHutto

Wedding Countdown Ticker

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

Mmmmm....I want to try that artichoke recipe! And the ancho chocolate cake. Yum.

BTW Pharmtox, if you do like mayo, the way I cook artichokes is to fill a pot with 1/2 water, 1/2 rice vinegar, about halfway up the artichoke. (I also squirt some fresh lemon in there sometimes, but that's probably best to do after it's cooked, actually.) Bring water to a boil with the artichoke in it, then turn down to low and cook, covered, for 1 hour.

Then I melt butter to have on the side. I dip into the butter, then mayo. Yummers.

Dinner last night was light:

Broccoli-spinach soup
Chile and cheese cornbread (tried a new recipe out of the newspaper)

But then I got hungry again later and nuked a chili & cheese tamale from Trader Joe's.

preview image

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Yummy Mexican soup (super easy!):

Brown 1 lb ground beef OR ground turkey OR cook 2 chicken breasts (I used the chicken breasts, just baked them at 350 degrees for about a half hour, let them cool, then shredded it up with my hands)
Put meat in a large pot
Add 2-3 cups chicken broth
Add 16 oz of your favorite salsa (I only had about 8 oz. of salsa, but it still worked)
Add 1 can of corn with its water
Add 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic (optional)
Add 1 tablespoon chili powder (can add more or less to taste)
Add 1 tablespoon cumin (can add more or less to taste)
I added some coarse ground black pepper and a tiny bit of salt, but this is optional.

Heat on medium heat on stove until steaming throughout, stirring occasionally.
Topping ideas: Tortilla chips, pepper jack cheese, sour cream (It's delicious if you top it with some kind of grated cheese)

Enjoy!

Posted: Feb 12, 2010 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Mexican Soup - yummmm!

Tonight's Menu:

Lobster Stuffed Ravioli w/ Crabmeat Cream Sauce
Avocado Salad
Garlic Breadsticks

Visit our Wedding Website!  www.theknot.com/OurWedding/TanyaEdwards&RichardHutto

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

Excellent thread!

Two things I make often enough are my version of Fried Rice and a "anything you have in your fridge" casserole.

The Fried rice is super easy - cook a cup of rice. While that's cooking, take leftover steak or chicken and warm it in a deep pan. Add some peas, corn, onions, celery, whatever you have in your fridge. Add the cooked rice. Add some soy sauce - taste - add more if needed. It's so easy and super tasty.

The casserole is based off a recipe I got a while back. The base is made up of one can cream soup (no added milk/water), 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sour cream, two eggs beaten, grated cheese (any kind). Then, you can add just about anything - broccoli, cauliflour, other veggies, pasta or rice, chicken. Whatever! I bake it for about 40 mins until it bubbles and then add some cheese to the top and broil. It's great because I can add whatever I have in my fridge and cupboards.

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

April 2010 Id love your recipe for lobster stuffed ravioli it sounds yummy and something Id like to make!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 9:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Me too!! Me too!!

I had a bad day so I treated myself to Dungeness Crabs. Not the worst thing in the world to eat, but definitely a nice treat.

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Lobster Ravioli:

• 2 ounces unsalted butter
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
  • 16 ounces cooked lobster meat
  • 4 ounces cooked snow crabmeat
  • 2 ounces Cognac
  • 2 ounces ricotta
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives
  • Pasta dough, recipe follows
  • Egg white, slightly beaten

Crabmeat Cream Sauce:

• 2 ounces unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
  • 4 ounces whole chunk Maryland crabmeat
  • 2 ounces Cognac
  • 5 ounces tomato sauce
  • 10 ounces heavy cream
  • Salt

Directions

For the Lobster Ravioli: In a large saute pan, add the butter and melt. Add the garlic and shallots and saute until golden brown. Add lobster, crab, and chives and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add Cognac and reduce for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes, until room temperature. Chop lobster mixture into small chunks. In a large bowl, combine lobster mixture and ricotta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

Lay out the first piece of pasta dough on the table and place 1/4-ounce mounds of stuffing 2 inches apart. Using a pastry brush, brush egg white around each bit of stuffing, making the dough damp not wet. Take the second piece and cover the bottom piece with the stuffing. Press around each ravioli being careful not to squeeze the stuffing out. Using a round ravioli cutter, cut each ravioli round and put on a sheet pan sprinkled with semolina. Gently place ravioli in boiling water and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente.

For the sauce: Using a 12-inch saute pan at medium heat, add butter, shallots, and saute until shallots are translucent. Add the crabmeat and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the saute pan from the burner and add Cognac then place pan back on the heat to cook off the alcohol. (Please beware: the Cognac will create a large flame.) Once the flame stops, add the tomato sauce and cream with salt and cook until it reduces half way and becomes creamy. Add the cooked ravioli to the sauce and let cook together for about 1 minute before serving. Garnish with chives.

Pasta Dough:

• 8 ounces durum flour
  • 8 ounces semolina
  • 1 egg
  • Water, as needed
  • Pinch salt

Add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl until all ingredients are blended. Place mixture on countertop and knead until the texture is smooth and well mixed. Separate the pasta dough into 2 equal pieces and put one piece aside. Flour the first piece, just enough to prevent sticking and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/8th-inch thick. Repeat procedure with second piece making it as close to the shape as the first.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I copied and pasted from the website I get all my recipes from.

Tonight is comfort food!

Ground Turkey Meatloaf
Mashed Potatoes
Crowder Peas
Crock Pot Macaroni & Cheese.

Yummmmm!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

Last night I turned my leftover pot roast into a yummy beef pot pie.

I took the leftover beef, potatoes, and carrots, mixed in a couple of tablespoons of brown gravy, chopped up about a quarter of an onion and minced 2 cloves of garlic and mixed it all together with a bunch of pepper added.
I was thinking that adding peas would have been good, but I didn't have any.

I made the pie crusts myself, brushed the top crust with a beaten egg (makes the crust nice and flaky), and baked the pie at 350 degrees for an hour.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Sunday I made an uber yummy meatloaf -- Spinach Mozzarella Meatloaf

1.5 pounds ground beef
10 ounces frozen spinach
1.5 cups Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 cups shredded mozzarella (divided: 1.5 cups and .5 cups)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Thyme
Dash of Cumin

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, lightly grease a 5X9 inch loaf pan
2. In a bowl, mix the beef, spinach, bread crums, eggs, and 1.5 cups of Mozzarella. Transfer to the loaf pan
3. Bake for 1 hour to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Top with remaining cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly

I hate meatloaf. I don't eat it. I won't touch it. OMG.. .this was amazing fresh. It reheats even better!

The downside: there is no getting around it. Your hands are going to get ooky!

Tomorrow night: lasagna

Misty

Edited by: CatStandish on Feb 23, 2010 9:09 PM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Tonight was burritos!

Pretty simple.

Refried Beans: I cooked dried beans. I then sauteed some diced onion and garlic in oil. Added a bit more oil and then started added the dried beans. Mashed them until they were soft and then continued to add more and kept mashing. I added a little broth at the end--you should keep refried beans looser than what you want because they firm up pretty fast.

Rice: I cooked the rice in chicken broth and then stirred in a little bit of tomato sauce and added salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.

Guacamole: Pretty standard--cleaned an avocado and mashed it with a fork in a bowl with some diced garlic, salt, pepper, oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Veggies: Sauteed some sliced red bell peppers and some onions. Cut up some romaine lettuce.

Assembling the burrito: Took a sun-dried tomato tortilla and spread the beans in a line down the centre of the burrito. Topped that with some guacamole. Covered the beans and guacamole with rice. Placed the veggies against the side of the beans, guac, rice pile. Added cheese to my housemates but not to mine. Had a bit of oil going in a pan. Folded it up burrito style and placed it seam side down into the pan. After about 30 seconds flipped it over and did the other side.

Ta-dah! A toasty burrito. Just the way I like it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine