Destination Wedding in Jamaica?

Online Users: 1,309 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

lachapstickfana... Posts : 5 Registered: 1/7/10
Destination Wedding in Jamaica?
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 8:32 AM

Hello,

We are considering a destination wedding in Jamaica this coming October, so we have to make a decision fast. Since there will be young kids coming, we were considering Beaches Negril Resort and Spa or Beaches Boscobel Resort and Golf Club, both by Sandals. We have probably about 40 guests coming.

We figured this way we could switch to one of the Sandals adults only resorts after the wedding.

Do you know of anyone who had there wedding at these places? Any suggestions? What was the experience like? Did you have a photographer or videographer? Did you get your hair and make-up done? How much was it to have a priavte reception and DJ? Pictures would be great!

Thank you so much for your help! Planning a destination wedding is a bit unnerving.

"a girl should be two things: classy and fabulous"

- Coco Chanel 

www.lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com 

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: Destination Wedding in Jamaica?
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

My cousin got married in Ocho Rios this past January. She had us all at the Sunset Grande Resort in Ocho Rios. I, personally, wouldn't recommend that particular hotel or that city for a destination wedding- we really couldn't ever leave the resort, and it didn't have too much to offer. A lot of the guests stayed for a full week, and after 2 nights of basically the same buffet for lunch and dinner... we were all a little tired of the resort food and because of the really aggressive vendors (and, sadly, drug dealers) in the city, leaving to go for dinner was overwhelming.

I did think Jamaica was an unbelievably beautiful place to get married though, and my cousin had picked it because of her great experiences staying in Negril. She picked Ocho Rios because she liked the idea of being in a town, but didn't know much about it, and she picked the Sunset Grande because the price point was really important to her. She and her husband graduated from college 3 years ago, so a lot of their friends are either just starting out in careers or still in school and they wanted to make sure people could afford to come. She ended up having over 90 guests, which I think is a lot for a destination wedding.

She had a lot of luck with a wedding agency she worked with. It's called Weddings in Jamaica, and she told them what she wanted and they found the location for her and coordinated with all the guests as far as their booking. They also negotiated the group wedding rate with the resort. It took a lot of stress off her. Despite what I've said about the wedding location, I think that given what each guest paid- we got a lot. I just would have been willing to pay more to stay someplace nicer.
"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

HummingbirdHall... Posts : 10 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 6:52 AM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

Congratulations!

Negril, like Montego Bay, is definitely a resort with more variety than Ocho Rios, so if you are catering to a mixed group of guests then it may be the better option. For the kids there's a waterpark and other fun stuff, and for adults quite a few bars, great restaurants and even boutique spas at the West End. The beach is also way more impressive than those in Ocho Rios.

Can't speak for the resorts themselves, but in the Montego Bay area, to have a DJ it's around US$200 per 3 hours, and to book a great hair and makeup stylist (such as the head of hair and makeup at Caribbean fashion week..) prices tend to start at US$200.

The photographer/videographer decision is a difficult one, depends a lot on personal preference! However, if you've got good negotiating skills, try contacting a company that offers both services; sometimes (if you are lucky!!!) they'll throw in both for little over the price of one!

Have a fabulous wedding!

dalesbride Posts : 20 Registered: 7/8/09
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 7:35 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

WE are doing a destination wedding to Negril...I have only about 100 days left! We are doing Sandals Negril but have friends with kids staying at Beaches Negril..
we are using their photographers. I am using Jennifer at VIP Vacations and she is herself a Beaches bride, got married at Beaches in Turks and Cacios and theknot.com filmed her wedding, and I think Beaches.com plays her wedding too. She is wonderful and totally set me straight on all the costs, did save the date cards for us, I just can't say enough about her. I would contact her and give her your laundry list of questions. It doesn't cost anything to use a travel agent and she has been so helpful. I talk with her regularly and trust her 100%.

Oh, DJ is $600 for 3 hours.

Private message me if you have any other questions.
www.travelbyvip.com is VIP's website.

Cool

foreverurs Posts : 31 Registered: 10/1/08
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 7:40 PM Go to message in response to: dalesbride

YES, totally do Beaches. We are doing Beaches Negril and we are using VIP Vacations and Jennifer too! She has been amazing.
We are using their photographers, doing the private reception afterwards and already have 17 rooms booked so we are also doing a DJ for 3 hours.
I liked Negril better then Boscobel because the beaches and sunsets are amazing. But like Dales'bride said...using a good TA can be so worth not getting stressed!

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

Hi There!

Would love to help you with everything! Our agency specializes in Destination Weddings and Honeymoon! We have done numerous weddings at Beaches and Sandals properties! We also have great relationships with vendors in Jamaica as far as photography, florists, bakeries, etc. Please feel free to private message me for more information! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Tammy Levent
Elite Travel

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

scarolinagirl Posts : 27 Registered: 3/11/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

First off Congrads!!! I am also using Jennifer at VIP! She is wonderful!!! We are getting married at Sandals Negril this June! Jennifer has helped us so much! She will answer any questions you have and takes care of everything. I have done a lot of research on Jamaica and Negril is supposed to be the nicest part of Jamaica. I'd definitely give her a call and she will walk you through what will be best for you and your guests! Keep us posted!

"Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.” I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

johnxbae Posts : 1 Registered: 12/3/12
Posted: Dec 3, 2012 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

Though it's tempting to leave the kids out of it, Couples isn't a good choice for groups. They service couples, as their name implies. I did a wedding for a similar sized group and it was a nightmare trying to schedule and communicate with them. If you're not there on honeymoon, anniversary, or extremely small wedding, it's not what they're good at. Go with a sandals or beaches where they're not as restrictive.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine