What do you want your ring to be like?

Online Users: 1,266 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 60

wishinghopingpr... Posts : 13 Registered: 12/17/09
Re: What do you want your ring to be like?
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I <3 etsy!

As far as the ring goes...simple simple simple. I sooo hate those huge obnoxious chunky rings. It might look good on some women, but I would just feel like an ass.

I really hope my bf has picked up on my hints that I want to be involved in the choosing-the-ring process.

FMrsH Posts : 3 Registered: 1/14/10
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

When I first started looking at rings with my BF, I loved the look of Princess cut, but have recently looked at the setting with a Radiant cut-which has the same relative shape as princess, but is cut in a way that it gives off a sparkle like a round/brilliant. I really want a ring that has a timeless elegance to it, while still having a contemporary feel (similar to a Tacori-style setting)-I particularly like the look of milgrain beading. I also want a setting that has higher set prongs that allows you to see all of the diamond. I don't really care so much though about the size of the stone (i'd like somewhere between .7-.9)

I have looked at rings a few different times and recently found a setting that I am absolutely in love with. The jeweler we would buy from is a local, family owned jeweler, (I want to stay away from big-name chains) and my BF will be able to get a great deal on it-20% off, from being participants in a "diamond dash" that was sponsored by the them. Now I'm just waiting for the day when my BF picks out a stone for it and gets down on 1 knee :)

My Ring-GalleryMy Ring

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Jan 16, 2010 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: FMrsH

All of the rings that my friends' fiancees have picked have been wonderful, I've been very impressed with their taste. Only one of my brides (I'm due to be a bridesmaid SEVEN times in the next three years! Oi!) picked out her ring herself, the rest were surprised with theirs.

As far as a ring for myself? I love Antique & Estate rings, platinum, and yellow gold. I like diamonds, but I'm relatively picky... I think gemstone rings are simply gorgeous. I think I'd be happy with either, so long as it came from the right guy. *;)

Edited by: VšnTillBruden

bridalBunch Posts : 14 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 11:45 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Originally my favorite ring of all time was the classic 6 prong Tiffany round solitaire, but since it's so very expensive I started looking at more realistic rings. (Even though that's still my fave.) Right now I'm really loving this ring, although I think I'd prefer it a little more narrow. Really different than the soliataire, I know!

1 Carat 14K White Gold Diamond Wide Band

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Well I already know what my ring looks like because he popped the question but after 5 months of being engaged, we mutually decided we were not ready yet.

Anyway, I always wanted a solitaire Asscher cut diamond... they sell one on www.carat.cc

http://shopping.carat.cc/product.web.ViewProducts.do?st=web.search.title&field0=pcs.productCategoryId&key0=20&field0_compare=&orderBy=pd.finalPrice,pd.postTime,pd.lastUpdatedTime&sortDirectionStr=1,-1,-1&startingPos=36&pageSize=9&antiCache=1265661392639968F198413B47B431F7F4E0AEB6DCE42

(copy and paste the link)

Its the third row, 2nd ring in. "1 CT Trellis Asscher" I think it's beautiful....but how horrible to hint at another ring when I already know my boyfriend bought one....and I've worn it for 5 months? :o(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And now I know why all the tree's change in the fall. I know you were on my side even when I was wrong. I love you for giving me you eyes. Standing back and watching me shine. I didn't know if you knew so I am taking this chance to say, 'I had the best day with you today."

VntgGoth2010 Posts : 57 Registered: 1/24/10
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 1:03 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

I helped pick mine out. I told him I wanted an asscher cut diamond with an antique type setting. He surprised me with a beautiful asscher stone and was going to get the setting as well but wanted to make sure I would like it. So we went to see the settings and the one I chose was one he was going to surprise me with.

This is a ring you'll be wearing for a very long time...why not put your 2 cents in?

Amberdawn7 Posts : 22 Registered: 2/6/10
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: darylicel

Wow, darylicel, your post gave me an idea for a wedding band! Something like this one:

http://palladiumringshop.com/images/wedding_ring_diamond_set_bnxd755_5.jpg

would go great with my engagement ring :)

Thanks, I was having a hard time choosing a style. Now if only I could find it in yellow gold...

Amber's Planning a Wedding (Blog)

madridqon Posts : 2 Registered: 2/17/10
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 3:16 AM Go to message in response to: Amberdawn7

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_swRpskQtqVI/Sbir9j50AaI/AAAAAAAAAwc/NFvRFIkLZKM/s400/onion-ring.jpg

As silly as it sounds, this is my dream ring. When my fella and I first started going out we had some takeout and ate onion rings and I said I love onion rings. he joked and said haha I'll marry ya with an onion ring being a tool and I said Okay then! that sounds awesome! He said it's a deal then.
So i'm just waiting for my onion ring.
I go figured, I'd lose a real ring, plus it's edible and I can just get a packet of new ones through the drive-thru.
Edited by: madridqon on Feb 17, 2010 3:16 AM

Edited by: madridqon on Feb 17, 2010 3:17 AM

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: ChrisBride

Don't I feel stupid. My first post was somewhat useless since I didn't post a pic...

When we first started to look at rings I knew vintage was a style I really liked. I made it clear to him from the beginning that I did not care about the size of the diamond (or clarity for that matter). He did say tho, that because it's something I am going to wear for a lifetime, that he wanted to make sure that I chose the ring I wanted then he would do the rest in his own time.

We went out shopping quite a few times and looked around. The ring I settled on, was the first ring I fell in love with and got emotional over(no idea why...I guess i'm a dork that way). It was just interesting because despite the many months that went by, I always went back to that one.

The ring is white gold, with a .51 ct centre stone with a lot of side stones on all the sides. I unfortunately don't have a picture of it. I could try to find something that vaguely resembles it.

This one below looks similar to the one we have in the safe except the centre stone is WAY smaller(which is perfectly ok with me)
http://www.loveweddingbands.com/ProductImages/Diamond-Engagement-Rings/109-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-Rings-hja-w.jpg

There is a good story behind the one we chose. We did it together and I knew right away that it was the right ring.

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Okay, so....

I changed my mind about diamonds. I found a ring that I am absolutely in love with, but it has the price tag from Hell.

Found it on eBay, currently for sale for $44,995.00 dollars. Just about fainted at the sight of it, though.

It is an antique ring, from 1910. The reason it is so expensive is because it has a 3.85 carat Old European cut diamond in the center, with several small Mine Cut diamonds in the setting. To be honest, I couldn't care less about the diamond. BF would be more than welcome to yank that sucker out, give it back to the seller, because all i want is the setting! Any diamond will do! Even CZ!

Here's the setting, to show you why I'm so in love with this ring.... First off, it's platinum. ((I love yellow gold, especially since it is more cost efficient, but platinum is my dream choice.)) It has a tiny, thin band, which I absolutely love. My fingers are very delicate looking, and I can't handle the usual rings' bands. I love, love, LOVE the heart design on the frame beneath the diamond, it's absolutely beautiful, and just my style.

sigh A girl can dream. If BF ever hits the lottery, though..... hehe

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 2:01 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Van,

Have you seen these? I thought you might like them.
Round Moissanite Antique Bella Halo Engagement RingRound Moissanite Antique Bella Halo Engagement Ring

Round Moissanite Antique Engagement RingRound Moissanite Antique Engagement Ring

antique style ring

If you really think the proposal is coming soon, I think you should collect pictures of what you like and consider a custom design with a non-diamond center. Mine was custom made by Schubach Jewelers, and they did a great job, but they were a little more expensive than their competition. I've heard WhiteFlash and MoissaniteCo both do a great job with custom work. I got a non-diamond (moissanite) center and I love it. It's absolutely beautiful and very very sparkly. The best part: It cost about 10% of what a diamond of equal visual specifications would've cost.

Posted: Feb 21, 2010 3:54 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

Thanks Leli, those rings are beautiful. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on different websites for rings similar to the one I found. Part of the charm to that ring is that it's an antique. I'm nuts about everything antique, blame it on my being raised by an antique-loving mother and grandmother! At any rate, an antique ring would be ideal, but we can't break the bank. *;)

And no, I don't think that proposal is coming any time soon, haha. I'm currently in college, and he is working his butt off to keep his feet on the ground, so it won't be for a while. But we joke about it, and I can still look! I send him pictures every so often, and he's hated everything I've shown him (except that European Cut ring I posted, I think he either likes it or is incredibly apathetic, aside from that price tag. He teased me all night that I was trying to bankrupt him). Haha.

If anyone else finds pics of similar rings, I'm always open for suggestions.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

mrscjmartin Posts : 2 Registered: 1/10/10
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I originally wanted a princess-cut diamond solitaire, but I fell in love with a cheap ring! He has no idea...I'm afraid to tell him. lol plus I don't think he is going ring shopping anytime soon since he just quit one job and is looking for another one...
Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Gemstone-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Pink-Sapphire-full/dp/B0029T99V6

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 6:42 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

I actually spoke with a friend of mine, who apprentices at a custom jewelry store in Stockholm. He said that if someone wanted a larger rock (for example, the 10.35 mm one that comes with my Price Tag From Hell ring), without paying between $20,000 to $40,000, their best bet is to purchase a lab-created moissanite gem. It's a dead ringer for a diamond, simply gorgeous, and according to him, if I were to custom create a ring to look just like the Price Tag From Hell ring, it would run me closer to $4,000 for the gem, and $2,000 for the setting.

Sounds a little more doable to me! May just have to pass this info along to BF... Just thought I'd share that little tidbit of info with you ladies, in case anyone else is like me and wants an alternative to that crazy, expensive diamond. *;)

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Those are all gorgeous rings. The one we picked seemed to have a little bit of everything you posted. Beautiful settings!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine