diy wedding dress?

Online Users: 1,267 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

lachapstickfana... Posts : 5 Registered: 1/7/10
diy wedding dress?
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 4:00 PM

This is my first time posting so excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

What do you all think about having your wedding dress made? My mom wants to design my dress (she has a degree in fashion but has never designed a wedding dress nor have I ever seen her design a garment) and then have it sewn by someone. She has fabric from her wedding dress that i could use which would make it really special. It is just a little scary and makes me a little nervous. But if it comes out all right it would be pretty fabulous to have a dress made just for me (and with her fabric). Did you do this or do you know someone who did? How was the process? I wrote about this on my blog in more detail if that is helpful: www.lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Pictures would be soooo helpful and would really calm my nerves.

Thanks!!!

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Re: diy wedding dress?
Posted: Feb 14, 2010 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

Hi!

Welcome!

Having a dress made comes down to three main factors:

One: how are your mom's designs? You would have to be honest with her and talk about what you want, like etc and see what she comes up with. If you don't like what she designs, that is the end of the discussion...go buy your gown. I would suggest that you try on dresses for her to see. Think of it as shopping for parts. You like this neckline, this detail, that waist, that fabric...

Two: is there enough fabric? If not you would need to find a second fabric that could be used in conjunction with your mother's fabric. Did you dream of silk but hers was a poly-blend?

Three: you would need a very good seamstress/tailor to do the construction of the dress. Also, you have to consider any beading/embroidery is a special skill that you would have to consider when talking to a seamstress. You would even need to make sure that the seamstress you select would be skilled with the fabric selected for your gown.

It is an important choice that you have to make. It really comes down to how comfortable are you being honest with your mother (including telling her that something that she has dreamed of just for you is not your style).

Good luck!

MirraUnwin Posts : 33 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

It is a great question, to make or buy your dress. The most important thing about your dress is that you feel like the best version of you possible. It could be a lot of fun to have her make your dress. It would be wise to see some of her work before you give her the go-ahead. She will hopefully be wise enough to not just think about how she envisions you as a bride, but consider how you envision yourself. Although it is very true: your dream dress may not end up being exactly the way you pictured it. You won't have to worry about the construction and quality of the dress if she has lots of experience with the materials you want. That's great if you can use fabric from her dress! I'm jealous!

I had a roommate in college who made her sister's wedding dress. She got her degree in costume construction, and she's been sewing her whole life. She did a 'mock up' of the dress first before she worked on the real thing. This is a great process for you and your seamstress to get an idea of what you want, how you'll feel, and to understand each other's goals. The gamble might be if you're short on time or if she is a procrastinator, which I'd imagine if fashion is her industry, she'll work great under pressure anyway. Anyhow, the wedding dress came out to be very beautiful. If you have a lot of time before your big day, you will have an amazing time creating your dream dress. As a seamstress myself (but not bold enough to consturct my own dress) it's very rewarding to watch the creation of your garment. And yes, it will make it that much more special made from material from your mom's dress. Also think of it, that it will be unique, customed solely for you.

On another side note, however, I will not undermine the power of going to boutique shops to try on dresses. Go with your mom and you can both bond and say what you like or don't like. Your dream dress might chose you in the store, and it'll make up your mind for you. Just have fun! I would leap at the opportunity to have someone in my family make my dress for me. Good luck!

LeopardPrintBride Posts : 17 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 6:01 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

I am personally sewing my own dress, due to the fact that the fabric I want (leopard print) is going to be hellish to find in an actual wedding dress.

The perks of designing your own dress are being able to customize and splice different styles that may not come together in mass produced quantities, such as a particular choice of skirt length/style paired with an unusual neckline, or something of the sort, should you be interested in that. It can all be customized to fit you, and to accentuate your best features, flatteringly.

The biggest down side is uncertainty; a store purchased wedding dress is safe. You can see it physically in front of your eyes, sometimes even on a mannequin or on a person, in pictures. More often than not, you can try it on. This is a huge plus, if your perfect dress is something easily found in stores.

Ultimately, I am in the camp that says go personalized. No one will be able to say, "I had the exact same dress as you in my wedding!" or anything of that sort, and you will have created an heirloom that could come to mean quite a bit to you, in the future. :)

- - - - - - - -

18. Young bride-to-be. Cohabitating. Planning an Oct. 2011 wedding.

MirraUnwin Posts : 33 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

You're in a great position here. It's a tough decision, to have your dress made for you or not. First, it would be a good idea to have a look at her work. You don't need to know her working process, but you need to be able to see her end product. Keep in mind that your dress is about you, it is what you want it to be. Don't feel pressured to like whatever she comes up with. But as your mother, she probably is very tuned in with you, better than any other seamstress in the world. If she is familiar with the fabrics you want, and you two have plenty of time to dream, sketch, and create your dream dress, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Especially if she can use fabric from her own wedding dress, that will make it all the more special! It will be a unique dress with you in mind.

Before you make your final decision, do not underestimate the bridal boutique. I do think it would be a good idea to go in and try some dresses on, with your mom, of course. This way, you both start to get an idea of what you want in your dress. It's great bonding time, and you may be surprised and find THE dress.

I can admit that I know lots of people who either made their own wedding dresses or had them made for them. For example, my friend in college made her sister's wedding dress (she was a costume construction major and has been sewing her whole life) and it turned out beautifully.

So good luck on the big hunt. I would jump at the opportunity for a family member to make my dress, especially from the original bolt of fabric!

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: lachapstickfana...

A-line Dark Purple Strapless Drape Floor-length Prom Dress With Embellished Trim
Save up to 30% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $139.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-dark-purple-strapless-drape-floorlength-prom-dress-with-embellished-trim-p-31748.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine