Question about daytime ceremony/reception and cocktail hour??

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

Julybride2010 Posts : 13 Registered: 1/4/10
Question about daytime ceremony/reception and cocktail hour??
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 12:21 PM

Our ceremony will begin at 10:30am outside, we will then go inside for the reception at 11am. It is scheduled from 11-4pm. I have only been to a nighttime wedding with a cocktail hour. Should I still have one with something like fresh fruit and cheese and crackers? What would I offer to drink?

I'm so new to this, i've only been to one other wedding in my life. I need a book called "weddings for dummies" I'm sure there is one out there. lol

Thanks so much, Pam

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

briony Posts : 75 Registered: 2/9/09
Re: Question about daytime ceremony/reception and cocktail hour??
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Julybride2010

The purpose of the cocktail hour is to keep your guests occupied while you and your new husband pose for post-ceremony pictures. If your reception does not immediately follow the ceremony (because you're off taking photos), then yes, you should have light refreshments available for your guests. Fruit and cheese sounds great. As for drinks, do you want to serve alcohol? At that time of day, brunch-type drinks like mimosas and bloody marys would work. You could also easily skip the alcohol - hopefully nobody will miss it at 11 AM - and have fresh lemonade.

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: briony

Thanks so much! We are planning on serving alcohol because our reception does go until 4pm. And we are serving mimosas with our brunch. So I wasn't sure if we should just serve coffee, juice, and/or soda for cocktail hour. I'm not a drinker, so I could be wrong, but I can't see drinking too much alcohol at 11am. But, who knows, although it will be served after.

Our reception will take place immediately after the ceremony. We will go right inside. I'm wondering if I should even do a cocktail hour or go right for the brunch as soon as everyone is in and settled?? Oh, I don't know!!

When is my wedding

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: Julybride2010

That depends on how you want to do it. Personally, I like having a cocktail hour at weddings. It gives me a chance to walk around a little bit, enjoy the venue if it's a really pretty one, chat with other people at the reception I might know who might not be seated at my table, use the bathroom without feeling like I'm going to miss something important, and just 'settle in' to attending a wedding. If the couple is somewhere else taking photos, fine. If they're there mingling with the guests, great - a chance to chat with them!

In the case of a brunch wedding, I would serve coffee, mimosas, bloody marys, and perhaps some sort of juice bar during a cocktail hour. For food, keep it light and offer fruits and mini-pastries.

If you want to skip the cocktail hour and just get started on brunch immediately, that's fine, too. I wouldn't find that strange at all. I'll say this, though - if you have no cocktail hour, I would trim an hour off the entire reception. If people just enter and immediately get their food, they'll be done eating by noon...and four hours of dancing in the middle of the day seems like a lot to me. Also consider that many people don't dance unless they've had a few drinks, so you might not get many dancers if you're limiting alcohol. It all depends on your crowd, but I don't think I'd want to stay at an afternoon reception until 4:00 if I was done eating at noon and nobody was dancing. Just a thought!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Artbride, thanks so much! Hearing what other people think is exactly what I need! I will go with the cocktail hour with being said! I was leaning toward it anyway, sounds like a nice way to start a party! And even though I would serve whatever during the cocktail hour and whatever during brunch and afterward, a full service bar will be available for anyone who wants anything else or wants to start early! I know a "cash bar" is not the way to go these days , but there is no way I can afford an open bar for 100 people, so i'm going to provide some alcohol during brunch and after and the cash bar will be there for any other wants or desires! I'm also going to provide soda for the rest of the reception too of course!
What do you all think about that?

And we're going with a DJ/entertainer, so i'm not worried about people not dancing until completely drunk. She gets people up there and leads line dances and other fun things! She's crazy. I can't wait!

When is my wedding

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: Julybride2010

Personally, I wouldn't worry about having a full bar at all. Serve mimosas and bloody marys, but beyond that I would just forgo alcohol since you can't afford to host it. Even at evening weddings lots of people now are skipping the full bar and just serving beer, wine and one or two "signature" cocktails. Plus, in your case, with such an early reception, I don't think anyone will even notice that there's not a full bar (well, they'll know it's not there, but I can't imagine they'll miss it!).
But, it's your wedding, and you should do what seems best to you!

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: Julybride2010

We're having a daytime ceremony/reception. Our ceremony is at 10 and the reception is from 11-4. We are doing a cocktail hour from 11-12. We will be hosting beer, wine, and soft drinks. Our crowd will miss the alcohol, even if it's early! We're doing a sit down lunch at around 12. Our ceremony and reception aren't in the same venue, but maybe 5 minutes apart. I think the cocktail hour is too hyped up honestly. I've gone to other weddings that didn't have one, but we're having one because we won't be able to make it to our reception till later. Hope this helps!

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:30 AM Go to message in response to: mrscreamer2be

Yes, thank you mrscreamer2b, that does help. I guess the cocktail hour sounds nice but seems like it's not completely necessary.

There is a full bar in the room, so I will have it, it's there, I hope i'm not looked at as "tacky" with a cash bar, but honestly I feel like I am providing them with some alcohol and if they want more or any thing different that they wouldn't think that I was being "cheap" It's not like i'm not providing any?

When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine