Military Fiances!

Online Users: 1,287 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

Hannah2112 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/8/10
Military Fiances!
Posted: Feb 9, 2010 10:22 PM

I just got engaged to an army man this past weekend! I am so excited and happy! Who else is a military fiance?! I am having trouble setting a date because he is getting deployed this month and I have no idea when he will be home! Any tips?!

mrsmclaughlin Posts : 6 Registered: 7/1/08
Re: Military Fiances!
Posted: Feb 9, 2010 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

Hi there! I'm a military wife, so I understand what you're going through. What branch is he in? I'm an Air Force wife. I lovvvvvvvvve military life. It's hard to plan a wedding around it, though, we had a lot of trouble trying to set a date, and eventually just planned it on a weekend that he had off. We planned everything within about a month, so it was hard. Are you having the same sorts of problems?

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: mrsmclaughlin

Oh, duh, I'm a dork, I just saw that you wrote that he's in the army. Ignore that question!

Hannah2112 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/8/10
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: mrsmclaughlin

Hi! He was supposed to be getting deployed this month, but now they are telling him he won't be until November, so I am hoping we can get married before he deploys. I am still having trouble figuring out a date since I do not know when he will be home! I am the type of person who needs to plan ahead, but I do not want to set a date then have to change it!

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

We had that same problem, he kept getting deployment dates, and we were never sure when he was leaving. I wanted a long time to plan, but eventually I just wanted to be married, and planned everything really quick to just do it. Hopefully you can nail down at date. It's hard when you don't know what he's doing from one day to the next. At one point, we thought about getting married at the chapel on base, but none of our family could have been there because they all live far away, and I wanted to have it in our home state.

mainstdancer08 Posts : 140 Registered: 3/27/08
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

I'm not a military fiance but I am a navy brat since my father was in the navy as I was growing up. My parents rushed their wedding, they got married in December on my dad's birthday, because they both thought my dad would be deployed quickly, my parents have been married for 25 years. I know a couple who were in the military and divorced after only 6 months of marriage, so all I have to say is good luck to all those couples who are in the military.
Daisypath Vacation tickers

Edited by: mainstdancer08 on Feb 10, 2010 3:22 PM

breathb4thekiss Posts : 5 Registered: 11/2/09
Posted: Feb 13, 2010 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

Congrats on your engagement!

Both myself and my husband are in the Army so I can relate to your situation. The best advice I can offer you is to stay flexible as you start your planning. I know an unpredictable schedule can make getting anything done difficult but don't let it overwhelm you. The thing that helped me the most was getting things out of the way little by little so there was less to focus on as it came time to tackle the bigger aspects of the wedding.

Edited by: breathb4thekiss on Feb 13, 2010 1:19 PM

Sarah130310 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/17/10
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

Myself and my Fiance are both in the Army, I am in the reseves and he is active duty, deploying "sometime really soon." I completely feel your pain. We have had to rush the entire thing, but in the end I know I will be happy just being able to have him as my own. Just remember that he is as stressed as you are, not only about getting married, but about his up coming deployment. Best of luck to both of you!!
~sarah~

klpeltie Posts : 7 Registered: 2/16/10
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 1:59 AM Go to message in response to: Sarah130310

I'm a military fiance as well. We can't set any dates until he gets hit training dates. It's tough but I just have to wait. We're both still in college and will be getting married once I graduate. I am graduating early just to get married. He's a yr ahead of me. He'll be a comissioned officer once he graduates. So we have a yr of just planning the little things. I can't book anything yet.

---

Kara

MacsLady Posts : 1 Registered: 4/23/10
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

I am having the same problem. My fiancé is PCSing to Tx from AK next week. Thats not the problem though. He signed a dwell time waiver last year when he reenlisted so that he could get the duty station of choice. So we have to wake until he gets to his new duty station in order to plan anything at all. I am really excited to find a venue and everything else but cant. I was in the Army 3 years ago so I understand but I like being the impatience fiancée better LOL

frostedkels Posts : 5 Registered: 5/26/10
Posted: May 26, 2010 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

im going to be a military bride.
my fiance is in the air force, but right now he is put in reserves until he graduates from college in 2012. so we're planning on getting married a little before graduation.

NissySokol Posts : 22 Registered: 12/23/09
Posted: May 27, 2010 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: Hannah2112

I'm a US Marines fiancee =]
my fiance just got back from a deployment in japan a month ago and we're planning on getting married this july. he's currently in 29 palms in CA for the next month so i wont get to see him til 5 days before the wedding! or at least i hope, ive been planning the wedding for a year and we had no idea he'd be gone around this time and word is going around that they might stay longer than expected. im hoping he'll get back june 20th because his plane ticket to go home for out wedding is for june 25th but if he stays longer that might cause a problem for us. Our wedding is July 3rd. so im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he'll get back on time. The only advice i can give you is be ready for anything. one day they might tell you one thing, the next they might change their mind about anything. Thast just how the military is.
Future Mrs. Sokol

Edited by: Nissycakes on May 27, 2010 12:40 AM

lissagettingmar... Posts : 22 Registered: 5/29/10
Posted: May 29, 2010 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Air Force fiance! My FH is a flying crew chief right now so he's gone about 1-2 weeks out of every month at the moment :) He's actually gone right now on a TDY!

My 11/11/11 date is kind of a joke right now - I'd love for that to be our actual date (how easy would it be to remember that, huh?) but we haven't even really tried to set one yet, lol. Last year he got deployed in December, and his MOS and branch means he'll probably get deployed every year for around 120 days (he came home early last time...and proposed!) around the same time.

Nmahoney82 Posts : 23 Registered: 5/19/10
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: lissagettingmar...

Congratulations! I have known many military wives, and it's not an easy job! Only the strong survive lol

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Jun 29, 2010 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: Nmahoney82

another military fiancee! I'm marrying into the Air Force National Guard; df did seven years active duty Army prior to joining the Guard :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine