Any brides wearing glasses?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Re: Any brides wearing glasses?
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: simone021

I know this is an old thread, but it's relevant for new brides..

I am not wearing my glasses. Although, everyone tells me I look good in them and I can't really see without them. I just got them about two years and so me with glasses is not really me, to me.. does that make sense? I wanna be able to see FH up at the altar as I'm walking to him, so I have an appt next monday with my doc to see about contacts. I've never worn them so I'm hoping two months will be enough time for me to get used to them. It took awhile for me to get used to my glasses. I didn't need them for 28 years of my life, but staring a at a computer all day is damaging...

No glasses for me!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

As I mentioned before in an old thread I refuse to wear contacts. I don't have the time to try to stick something in and out of my eyes. Plus they dry your eye out and I don't want to deal with that. I've been wearing glasses since I was 6 years old! It's part of who I am. However I want to look nice in my pictures on my wedding day (without the glare and stuff). So during the ceremony I will keep my glasses off (I can see fine as long as I don't read anything) and then during the reception I will put them back on. During pictures I will alternate.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

totally bespeckled and besotted <G>

Misty

nearlymrsn Posts : 25 Registered: 11/7/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I wore my glasses the entire day. I tried contacts again a few months before the wedding, but my eyes are too dry for contacts. I decided I would rather look like me and be able to see than not wear my glasses. I've worn them every day for ten years, so me without them is not really me. Oddly enough, the week of my wedding, my mom had a terrible eye infection. She came to me, almost in tears, to tell me that she was going to have to wear her glasses to the wedding. I looked at her and said, 'I'll be wearing glasses to the wedding, too.' She looked at me and laughed. I told her it wasn't a big deal, as long as she was there, I didn't care what she wore on her face.

Nearly Mrs. N.

ChartreuseBride Posts : 2 Registered: 12/24/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: nearlymrsn

As a licensed optician, I think its sad when people don't want to wear glasses for their special occasions. Its all about finding the perfect frame for you and then rocking it with gusto! I wrote a post on my blog about picking the perfect frames, lenses, etc: http://thechartreusebride.com/2009/12/wearing-glasses-on-your-wedding-day/ . I hope it helps you!
Check out The Chartreuse Bride Blog- your source for creating a unique, fun, and meaningful wedding. You will find articles on making your ceremony special, your reception unique, and will find lots of tips and tricks on DIY wedding projects.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: ChartreuseBride

So, I've had my contacts for 3 days now...

I feel like I haven't slept in weeks!! My eyes are dry and they hurt from pulling them open to get the contacts in :( Plus, my undereye is all puffy. People at work are asking if everything is ok with me. Guess it looks like I've been on a bender or suffered some trauma!? Nope! Just dang contacts that my eyes are rejecting! Out of nowhere, one of them straight popped out when I was driving to work this morning. WTF? I hope this goes away as I adjust and get better at putting them in. It only takes one to two tries, but pulling the eyelids open seems like it would be bad for this sensitive area and cause wrinkles...

If things don't get better, I may nix the contacts and glasses altogether and just go blurry :(

check out our wedding website: shawnandkathaeleen.brides.com

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

If things don't get better, I may nix the contacts and glasses altogether and just go blurry :(

Don't say that! Contacts aren't for everybody. I know they are not for me even though I have never tried them. Wear your glasses if your contacts keep bothering you. You look good in glasses (from your profile pic). Or perhaps your eye doctor can give you better softer contacts? There is also laser eye surgery to consider.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Thanks Cheetah! People have told me that I look good in glasses. Just don't want to wear them on WDay. If I do nix the contacts, I won't nix the glasses forever. Just for WDay. But, I don't want the day to be a blur... ok, after the drinks at the reception, maybe.... but not cause of my vision! I am hesitant to get the laser surgery, because my eyes are getting progressively worse. I used to have 20/13 vision (better than 20/20) but due to my job and staring at a computer screen, it gets worse every year. Everytime I go to the eye doctor, they have to 'up' my prescription. I guess I don't know enough about the laser surgery. Is it permanent? Or will my eyes go back to bad after awhile and using the computer?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I was a 2nd time bride. This time I wore my glasses. Last time I didn't.

When I was younger (read: pre-35) whenever I had my picture taken professional, for any reason whatsoever. Graduation, school, etc. The first time I got married, I did not wear my glasses. I couldn't see anything.

This time I did...and I loved being able to see my DH tearing up at the alter.

Misty

bridalBunch Posts : 14 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Practice, practice, practice. Putting contacts in and taking them out quickly gets so easy you don't even think about it. Don't give them up yet -- keep wearing them for a couple of weeks and see if you don't get used to them. Even if you never find them comfortable, I'd suggest wearing them for the ceremony, since your preference is not wear glasses, and then put your glasses on for the reception. Seems like a nice compromise, and as someone else pointed out, you do look really nice with glasses! Be confident!

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 7:39 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I'm pretty sure the laser eye surgery is permanent. You can talk to your eye doctor about it and get more info :)

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 8:24 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Can you ask your doctor for a different set of contacts to try? When I first got contacts, we tried two or three brands before we found one that was easy to put in, comfortable and easy to take out. I'm personally a big fan of the Acuvue ones (because they make astigmatism ones - otherwise, no contacts for me!)

Are you sure you're putting them in the right way (if they are popping out). I'd occcasionally put mine in inside out if I was in a rush and yuck. It was awful.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Thanks for all the responses ladies!

I called my dr. yesterday and he suggested an eye drop. Apparently the florescents at my office make the drying worse. When I'm at home or out and about, they aren't dry like when at work...

I check them over and over to make sure they were flipped the right way and not backwards. When I got them, my dr. was very thorough with the contact counseling. I put them in and took them out several times before leaveing the office. He showed me how to tell the difference if its flipped inside out. I'm pretty sure it was in right. had it in for an hour before it popped out.. I think maybe I rubbed it and it folded up or something... idk. hasn't happened again.

I'm gonna keep wearing them. I have to wear them at least a week before my check up. then we'll go over my concernes and I can try other brands if I want, but these are pretty thin. I think I just need more practice :)

Thanks again!

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Ok the part that concerns me is the pulling on your eye lid! I've been wearing contacts since high school and not once have I pulled out my eye lid. I wear glasses more than I used to but for the most part it's contacts for me. They do take some getting used to. The first week or two I felt like there was something under my eye lid so I tried looking for it lol. The best way, IMO, to get a contact out is something that a friend showed me.

Look into a mirror the first few times to get the hang of it. Open your eye really big like you are in shock. Look up and to your nose (so look left for your right eye and right for your left eye). You'll feel the contact almost get stuck because your eye can go further than your contact. Put your finger right in the corner, pull it down and little and pinch gently with your thumb. Comes right out. Just don't pinch so hard you pinch your eye. I've done that >.<

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

Brians,

I may have described this wrong, but I don't 'pull out my eyelid'. I use my fingers to open my eye wide to get the contact in. My eyes are kinda small I guess and the contact is one size fits all, so i can't just open wide like i'm in shock and put it in. I have to use my fingers to spread my eyelids apart sothe contact doesn't hit them or my lashes. Make sense? I am not used to stretching my undereye down and I think that's why it's so sensitive and hurts a bit. What you've explained to get them is out, is exactly what my dr. showed me. I don't have any problem getting them out. I just use my finger to pull it over and the gently pinch it out with my thumb and pointer finger. It's the spreading my eye apart to get them in that's an issue. Doc's assistant was a great coach! She spent 45 to an hour with me going over almost every detail a person could think of. And, I got to practice putting them in and taking them out several times while at the office. It only takes me 2-3 tries to get them in and once they are in, I don't feel them at all. I was surprised by this. Today, they aren't bothering me and it was easier to get them in :) I think I'm getting the hang of it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine