Poll: would you report it?

Online Users: 1,358 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 34

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Poll: would you report it?
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 12:35 PM

Of the following situations, which (if any) you would report to the appropriate authorities, and which you would forget about:

1. Animal abuse/neglect

2. Spousal abuse

3. Child neglect/abuse

4. Welfare fraud (ongoing for years)

5. Bank fraud

Would it make a difference if you had proof or not? Would you report it even if you knew there was a good chance that the authority figures could go to the house and find seemingly nothing wrong?

Would you continue to report if you already had, over and over again, and nothing seemed to be done about it?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Re: Poll: would you report it?
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

(P.S. I once reported animal abuse . The person on the phone treated me like I was completely wasting their time. So I reported HER to her boss. I'm a jerk)

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I'd report them all besides bank fraud.

In cases 1-3 I'd report it because the victims should not have to live a life of abuse.

In case 4 I'd report it because it would just piss me off that my money is funding that crap.

Bank fraud, meh. To be honest I don't really know what constitutes as bank fraud. I'd assume banks are pretty knowledgeable in it, so they would be able to catch the offender relatively quickly. There was a bank teller near me that was stealing something like 5 dollars from everyone's account she worked with, and ended up stealing 100,000 dollars before she got caught. THAT kind of bank fraud I would report. I couldn't even report bank fraud because I barely even know what it is. I'm very ignorant in the area of economics.

It wouldn't make a difference if I had proof or not. If I was living in an apartment and I heard terrified screams and yelling from above me, I'd call the cops. True, they could just be having loud sex or something (lol) but someone could also be in danger. For me here the safety of the potential victims is more important to me than concrete proof. It also wouldn't make a difference if I thought the authorities wouldn't find anything or not. I'd report it anyway.

I'd report it twice/three times tops to the same authority. Then I would insist to speak to the supervisors until they investigated it more.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

JessicaLong Posts : 29 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Animal abuse and child abuse- definitely, and I have before. They don't have a voice... and I feel it's other people's DUTY to help/report it if they witness it.

Bank fraud- yes, if I knew without a doubt.

Welfare fraud- depends on the situation. Sometimes people are greedy and sometimes people have to take desperate measures to keep food on the table. It's still wrong, but I wouldnt be as quick to report it... even if it does anger me that taxpayers are being frauded as well.

Spousal abuse- again, depends on the situation. I feel it's not my business, but if children were involved or the spouse felt they couldn't get away, I would try to find a way to help them. If it's only two adults who tolerate the abuse and constantly go back to each other... I would probably stay out of it unless I was asked for help.

Interesting post! :)

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I think in lots of cases people stick their noses where it doesn't belong. I am always hearing about parents being accused of child abuse when all they did was take pictures of their kids in the bath. My mom hit me with a wooden spoon AND even left hand prints on me (for like mins, not days), but I wouldn't consider that child abuse. If someone had heard her yelling at me and seen her hit me, they might turn her in, whereas I as the child, didn't feel "abused". Nor do I feel like I would need to be taken away from her.

If I was a teacher and a child came to me and reported it, then I would report it. But I just hear too many times where children come to school with one bruise and the parents are turned in when the kid really did bump his head. Maybe repeatedly coming into school with bruises...but again who's to say the kid didn't fall off his bike a lot? I know I did as a kid and I was probably injured, in a sling or a cast for most of my elementary years.

Also if someone I knew was being abused by her husband I would be there for her and encourage her to get out...but I don't think I would report it to the police. What if I did and the husband gets arrested, comes home and kills her? I understand that he could up and kill her at anytime, but that's her business to report it, not mine.

Animal abuse...I love animals but I dont have time to worry about them. MAYBE if there were like 6 malnourished pitbulls living next door to me, but there aren't.

I know this all makes me sound cruel, but I think we've gotten WAY too touchy and sensitive as a society and in turn that affects the lives of innocent people. Imagine being pegged as the child beater when you didn't even do anything.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ - some of it makes you sound cruel. But other stuff makes sense.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you KNOW, as close to 100% as you can be, that this stuff is true

(child reports abuse to you, for example)

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1, 2 and 3 I have reported before, though for the spousal abuse one I did not tell the police I told the persons family what I saw. Maybe it was not my business but I think I did the right thing and would do it agian. In all three cases I was 110% sure. 4 I would probably report as I do have a degree in Social Work and even though i am in a completely different field now I don't think having that knowledge and not doing anything about it would sit right with me. 5 I would like to think I would report but honestly would probably let it go unless it was seriously harming other people.
wedding tickers

Edited by: starfish701 on Feb 4, 2010 1:51 PM

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

I actually don't know what consitutes bank fraud, except for what my college roomate did which she DID get it trouble for fairly quickly without anyone reporting her (she was making fake deposits into her bank account)

NJ brings up a good point with children - some kids bruise a lot simply from playing. In college, when we were taking a class relating to abuse, they really focused on when to consider reporting it and when to not. Bruises on the knees of a year-old toddler learning to walk? Probably not concerning. A broken leg where the child keeps changing the story as to what happened. Could be suspicious.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

In my professional life and my hsband's (teacher/counselor and physician), the LAW is clear. If you even suspect abuse or the threat of violence, you MUST report. In fact, as a teacher, I have had kids tell me or write many personal things, including suicide threats and reports of incest. I always have let them know about the reporting laws: "Anything you say to me is confidential, UNLESS it includes abuse or the threat of violence to yourself or others." That way, we're all clear on where the lines are and, if they tell me something that I must report, then I believe they want it reported. As far as bank fraud or tax fraud, I haven't had a situation where I've had to consider that. If that were reported to my husband in a therapy session, I believe that confidentiality rules would apply, and he would have no legal obligation to report. In fact, he probably could get sued if he did. Complicated, I know.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

All I'm saying is there are lots of things that aren't anyone's business. And like I said if I were a teacher and some kid came up to me and said he was being hit by his mom, of course I'd bring it to the attention of someone else. but again, kids make things up. I got hit when I was a kid...and if that was taken out of context to the authoriites, it sounds way worse than it was. Now if a kid has cigarette burns on his arms then OK, that's most likely abuse but again, if you didn't actually SEE the kid's mom/dad doing it, then you still don't know.

Also regarding the spousal abuse, the cops aren't gunna do anything if YOU aren't the spouse. They can't. And that person would be an adult...they can speak up. I know if you are abused you probably aren't going to, but all I can do it try and help that person the best I can by being supportive.

And the animals--I'd totally report a violent aggressive dog--abuse probaby not. I have other things to do besides staking out my neighbors animals to see if they look skinny.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Yes to all. Even if you have no proof, the fact that you reported it will go on record, and future reports of abuse/fraud may be taken more seriously, as there will be a history of complaints about the same thing.

There is no question about reporting child, animal, or spousal abuse. I'd report any of them without a second thought. The only one I have witnessed (neighbor) is spousal abuse, and we called the police on the couple in question 3 times in less than a year. I don't know whether the police did anything or whether the couple stayed together, but they do not live in our building anymore, as I also made noise complaints to management (as these incidents always took place at, say, 4am on a Tuesday). Some people might say it's not my business, but whatever - I'm not going to support that type of behavior by allowing it to continue. Calling the police will at least end it for the evening. What the woman does after that is up to her. And anything that wakes me up in the middle of the night IS my business and I'm reporting it to management. I pay too much money in rent to be woken up in the middle of the night by noisy neighbors - for whatever reason.

I would report welfare fraud UNLESS I knew that the family in question legitimately needed more money than the system will legally give them. If I knew that they were cheating the system because they HAD to, I would probably look the other way. Like the whole 'it's Ok to steal a loaf of bread if you're starving' thing. If the system legitimately fails to provide for a family, I'd be Ok with them stealing from it. In any other case, I'd report it. Welfare is there for those who need it, so welfare fraud is not just stealing from the taxpayers, but stealing money that would otherwise go to those who really need it. IMO, that makes it a pretty heinous crime, like stealing from the collection bin at church.

I'm not really sure of the details of bank fraud, so I'm not sure whether I'd report it. I'm assuming that it somehow involves cheating the bank out of money. Personally, I don't think that's as grave of a crime as stealing from those who need it - but stealing is stealing. And when banks lose money in any way, they make up for it by raising interest rates and nailing the innocent account holders with ridiculous fees. So yes, I think I would report it if I knew someone was committing bank fraud, but I would probably do so anonymously. But that's a tough one, depending on how I found out that someone was committing bank fraud. If I just happened to catch a stranger in some suspicious act, no question. But if I found out that it was a close friend or family member committing the fraud, my moral compass would tell me to turn them in, but my sense of loyalty would probably prevent me from doing so. In that case, I'd have some serious talks with the person in question about the issue. If it still continued despite warnings, it would be a tough decision.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Wow NJ...your comments on animal abuse made me feel a bit sick to my stomach. I understand that individual opinions differ, but the way you explained your feelings on it sounds extremely ignorant to me. Of course there aren't many people out there who SEEK OUT abusers, but if you were aware that animal cruelty was occuring, you couldn't be bothered with it?? I'm an animal nut, but I still would assume that people who weren't as passionate as me would find it disguisting, and worth their time. Just had to chime in.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I would report all of them too and not just because I am about to be a police officer. I was abused by my stepmother in Elementary school and told our counselor and she did NOTHING.

Spousal abuse would be reported because even though THEY could report it themselves sometimes the women (or men) have nowhere else to go and are unaware of the help that could be provided to them.

Animal abuse will be reported as well...Animals can not call the authorities themselves.

Bank fraud...Hell yes! I work hard for my money and I will be DAMNED if I am going to let YOU screw off and get money for free!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 6:01 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Ladies,

As I work as a volunteer for the church in youth and children ministries, I am a mandatory reporter. I must report any instance of child abuse I encounter in my job. I have gone through required training on this issue.

And, yes, I would report the other items. Let the authorities sort out what is real and what is not real.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Yes to all.

A few months ago, my husband was in the local park in our neighborhood playing tennis, and he saw some guy with his dog, and the man was being abusive with the dog. He was hitting the dog very hard, over and over, yelling and screaming at the dog, and pushing him etc, the poor dog was whimpering and definately in pain .... my husband went over to the guy and basically told him that he better knock it off or he will call the police. The guy kindof told my hubs to F off, and continued the behavior. Luckily, a cop was nearby and hubs walked over to him and told him what was going on. The cop ended up taking the guy into thepolice station because he appeared to be drunk ... not sure what happened to the dog, Im sure the a-hole got him back eventually, but my husband came home that day more pissed off than Ive EVER seen him. He said he was seconds away from physically taking the guys dog LOL. Yeah, probably not the best idea.... but he cant take watching anyone abuse an animal. When you see it up close like that, I dont really understand how you can do nothing. Its disturbing to witness really.

Another time, I was in nyc at the Manhattan Mall on 6th ave ... I was standing in the entranceway to the mall, and a baby was there in her stroller completely ALONE. I stayed with her and kept trying to get people to go get security ... me and about 2 other women ended up staying with this baby just to make sure she was okay... finally, security and cops came over .... and asked what the deal was. I told them, this baby was just here alone, no parents anywhere ... about 10minutes went by, and then FINALLY, a woman came sauntering in very slowly ... like it was no big deal... she was clearly drugged or something, and she got really defensive with all of us saying "What you doin with my kid? Get the hell away ...." etc. We informed her that we were WATCHING HER ... you know, so she wouldnt be kidnapped, taken .... turns out the dumbass excuse for a mother went out to get cigarettes like 4 blocks away, and decided to leave her kid inside the mall. Shedidnt seem to think it was a big deal. Are you f'ing kidding me?

So yes ... if I WITNESS someone being abused in some way, human or animal, you better believe Im going to report it, do something, say something, etc. I just cant see doing nothing and being able to sleep at night wondering what if???

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine