What to do with the kids??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

MicahEJ Posts : 7 Registered: 1/30/10
What to do with the kids??
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 6:10 PM

My FH and I have two kids, a daughter who will be 1 1/2 at the time of the wedding and a son who will be about 6-7 months at the time of the wedding, and we have no clue what to do with them or where to put them. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions??

MICAH & CADE
"Come what may, I will love you until my dying day."

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: What to do with the kids??
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: MicahEJ

Dear Cade,

Flower baby and ring bearer baby. Put both in really cute clothes, and have someone haul them in seated in a little red wagon. Flower baby will have a little basket with glued-in flowers. Ring bearer baby will have a tiny pillow tied to his wrist with tied-on faux rings. (Real rings in adult custody.) Give them the pillow and basket just seconds before going down the aisle, so they will be looking at their accessories with facination, rather than trying to get them off.

Then, at the altar, have a really trustworthy person take them and hold them during the ceremony. If anyone gets fussy, the trustworthy person should try to hush them or take them out.

Specifically, two trustworthy people. One for him, one for her. I'm thinking Grandma and Grandpa type trustworthy.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: MicahEJ

Hire a babysitter or two, preferably someone that the children know and trust. Even if you don't usually leave your children, you will have them on-site, so you will not be worrying about them.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: MicahEJ

I see your concern regarding what to do with the kids while you're trying to enjoy your wedding!

As the PP mentioned, hiring a babysitter isn't uncommon in situations such as these. Hire someone who you're familiar with but wouldn't necassarilly invite to the wedding if it wasn't to watch your children. Tell the babysitter to keep an eye on the kids during the ceremony & reception. When they get cranky & tired, he or she can bring them to your house/hotel room to get some rest. They'll be out of your way but also involved somewhat.

"Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I agree with hiring a babysitter. If you want time to yourselves after the reception, perhaps consider an overnight sitter, who can care for the kids during the day, be around during the reception, take them home and stay with them until the next morning.

It could be a relative or it could be an actual sitter. If it's an actual sitter, I'd recommend a "test run" overnight sitting job to make sure everyone is comfortable with each other. It'll add some expense to your day, but it might be worth it in the long run.

CECL Posts : 2 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: MicahEJ

I don't know how formal your wedding is or how disrupting the children may become but, I don't feel that the children should be excluded or sent to a back room with a sitter they are going to be a large portion of this union for the rest of you and your FH's lives. I would suggest having the grandmothers bring the children in with them maybe even have your mother hold your FH's child while his mother holds your child to symbolize there welcoming of each of your children as their own grandchildren. Furthermore I think if you choose to have a sitter available for the reception that would certainly be appropriate.

I have children as well although they are older than your children they will be a LARGE part of the wedding. My son is 7 and daughter is 8. I have asked that they walk me down the isle and give me away to my FH then, during the ring ceremony they will come stand with us and exchange vows with my FH to love, honor and respect each other and then he will present them with a ring as he did me.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Unless I'm totally misreading this, AOTB is the only one who actually answered her question. I thought she was asking what to do with them, to involve them in, the wedding since they will be so young. I didn't htink she was looking to get rid of them.

I like Aunt's suggestion, and they're her kids, I'm sure if she doesn't want to deal with them she knows enough to hire a sitter. However, I don't htink that's what she was asking and so, vote for something like AOTB suggested.

IF OP you were asking, literally, where to put them so they are not in the way, then of course, hire a sitter. :)

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

TheBriarPatch Posts : 15 Registered: 3/26/10
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: MicahEJ

I think you have wonderful suggestions here. If the concern is how to be sure they are safe and entertained while you and FH are the center of attention, remember you will have a huge gathering of friends and relatives. Everyone who wishes the best for you. So, pick one person who is great with the children and see if they can be the guardian of the evening. You may offer them a special gift of thanks and also be sure they have a companion helper so they can dance and enjoy some food, too.

On questions for including the children in your wedding, you are so very lucky. You have your own children to be flower girl or and "ring bearer"; as the infant cannot really function in their role quite yet. You know them well, love them, and can select outfits, duties that will make them happy!

Here is a suggestion since they are both young: Typically, a flower girl or ring bearer is about 4-8 years old, your children are both younger. Since we are a children's specailty retailer, we work with many families walking down the aisle with their children. When the kiddos are very young, we have seen either bridesmaids or groomsmen hold hands and walk with the 1-2 year olds (which will be so cute for a flower girl). The infant can be in the audience with family, or if you wish him to be with you as vows are made, another attendant can hold him...he would be darling in a mini tux held by a dapper groomsman.

Some ideas, there are many, many solutions!

Patricia at www.shopbriarpatch.com

"Cherishing children is the mark of a civilized society" Joan Ganz Cooney

Edited by: TheBriarPatch on Mar 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Edited by: TheBriarPatch on Mar 26, 2010 11:48 AM

JoelsPrettyPres... Posts : 41 Registered: 12/2/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: TheBriarPatch

I think your kids should be a major element in your wedding, as someone else said they are going to be a HUGE part of your lives as a married couple and well don't you want your kids there on one of the most special days of your life?

I have a four year old and my fiance who is not her biological father, but she has known no other, he has been her daddy since she was two, Joel is giving her a ring with three small hearts intertwined and one small diamond in the center. He imagined she could keep it forever to remember that he wasnt just making a life with me, we three are in it together and he is as much committed to being her father as he is to being my husband.

My cousin has who is expecting in a few months will be bringing her baby who will be around one at the time of our wedding, so I have set up a kind of system with the teenage guests. Since it is a family affair I made a table full of all the kids, ages 1-17. I am kicking down 10$ each to my nieces who adore the little ones anyway to keep an eye on them through the Reception. I also bought special favors for each of the younger guests according to their individual tastes and ages. Their table has a centerpiece of multi colored fish one of which they can each take home. I also have activities like coloring (I'm having the restaurant our reception is at set a plain white butcher paper on their table and I'm providing crayons in their special favor boxes) and mini travel games at there table as well.

However we have a great location for our guest any of thier hotels are only a few steps away so they can go put kids to bed whenever they want, guess we lucked out on that part.

I really tried to think of all my guests regardless of age you know.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine