Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 105

Andrewsbride Posts : 1 Registered: 1/5/09
Re: Beware of Free Vacation From Simplicity Gourmet
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: bucscheer

I just received a call this morning from Simplicity Gourmet and they told me that my fiance and I won a free dinner for 6-8 people. Apparently they come to your house and make a dinner in hopes of winning your opinion over with their product. I will let everyone know how it goes! I definately would not even consider going on a "free" trip from them though, just because I wouldn't trust any business really. Luckily I will have my parents and future in-laws there to back me up on anything!

cschwarz Posts : 1 Registered: 1/25/09
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 10:06 PM Go to message in response to: Andrewsbride

I just recieved the call about two hours about the dinner for 6 when they come to your house. I had to turn it down after reading all the information about the company. I am on a super tight budget and I have enough people calling me about other things. I think that they could be really ligit but I don't think at this point I can really handle this. The first time they were really good to me on the phone but when I called back to cancel, I told them and then they just hung up on me. I don't know if that was very proper of them but I found it to be very rude. When I called to talk with the same lady that gave me the offer they told me that she was busy but when I told them I was cancelling, they put me through, I told her and then got hung up so it's up to you if you want to go with this company but I didn't find them to be very nice.

Tweet504 Posts : 1 Registered: 2/4/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok I am sooo confused right now. Can anyone help me? I went to a bridal show last month & I too received a phone call saying "I won". After reading these reviews its really got me thinking this is a scam. How can EVERYONE win????? Anyway, I would like to get feedback from someone who actually went on the trip without paying for the pots & pans. Those pans are waaaay to high. The pots I'm using now from JCPenney's are just as good. My fiance really wants to give it a shot, but me being the woman I am I say we need to look dig into this a little deeper. The main thing that concerns me is where is the number to contact these people to ask questions. On my reservations voucher it says $50 refundable fee. It doesn't say at all that it is per person per day. And the other catch was too sit through that 90min session which I think was very informative & the guy who hosted it was very funny..:) Can anybody give more detailed info about this so called FREE trip?

mich7580 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/28/08
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 1:32 AM Go to message in response to: cschwarz

My fiance and I went to this event tonight at 8:30pm. I had thought that it was going to be something quick and 90minutes didn't seem so bad. We got there early and waited with others to go in( not the best sign when soo many people win). The presentation was interesting and kept me entertained. I was even thinking of buying some pots or pans. However, I found somethings to be suspicious of. First, I wondered why the presenter had a stomach like he was pregnant 8 months if the cookware he was selling was so healthy to use. (maybe he doesn't actually use it--I swear he implied he did). Second, it was weird how when he talked about the trip he had a pretty pink bag with the information and aprons inside. However, when we left we just got the papers and aprons in our hands. Third, toward the end of the presentation when he had everyone feeling pretty good (well I was) he stated "dont tell us you will call us after you go home and think about it, because no one who leaves does, so just say you didn't like the pots and pans". I thought that was rather rude to say. I know noone likes to have someone tell them I will call and they don't but come on this is a business not personal why do they care!! Also he sort of skimmed over the other products the knives and the china. He kept showing a very small (slim) brochure with the pots and pans, however, in the pictures he flashed there were none of the knives or china set.

Another thing that was weird was how if they really are a legitimate company they didn't have brochures for people to take and did not give them out. No catalogs or magazines.... I would think that you would want to give someone the option of buying later or signing up for a registry using your company. It seemed to me they were only interested in a one time large sale.

On the way out I noticed that there were some brochures on the table near the free trip give aways. However, the guy did not give us one of them. There only seemed to be a few not enough for everyone in the room at all!! Its strange that if your product is soo good and has such a great warranty that you would need people to purchase right then and there and only give them 3days to cancel. That's just weird. I personally do not like to have to buy on impulse especially for 3990 dollars. Thats an insane amount of money to spend with an impending wedding coming up.

My fiance and I were going to try and still do the trip but we have decided against it. I tried looking on Better Business Bureau for World Adventures Travel and Integra Marketing and I did not find any information on them. I even searched consumer reports and not one shred of info. So I will go with my instinct and I don't trust them at all. But the broccoli was quite tasty I will give them that.

I hope this helps people trying to decide. Oh and David's Bridal is definitely selling our information. I have received so many calls and brochures since getting my dress from them.

Daneka Posts : 2 Registered: 3/26/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: weddingblisssss

What was the outcome?? Did you take the trip??

Daneka Posts : 2 Registered: 3/26/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: Munsee

Did they attend the trip?? How was it?? I'm really confuse about what to do because I being planning to take this trip for our honeymoon but finding this site, having me think twice about it. I signed up for the cookware but I haven't received it and I attended the presentation over a month ago. What's up with that?? Well I haven't got a bill yet, so maybe it's cancelled which would be a great thing.

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Daneka

I too received the call and was initially excited, but after reading some things decided against going because I didn't trust about the trip and such. My friend's sister went and apparently got the trip vouchers, so I guess we'll see how that goes.
There was one review that I read (I just Googled the company in my research this past year), and it was from a woman who had bought the pots and pans and she'd been completely up-to-date on her payments and everything and they completely messed up her credit. They kept trying to claim that she hadn't been paying and that she owed them such and such amount and her credit score just dropped because of the claim that she hadn't been making any of her payments (I can't remember if she was completely paid off or if she'd payed about half). The version I just typed may be a bit different than the original (going off of my memory) but it's basically the same. To me it just sounded like the were trying to con her out of her money. I don't trust them.

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 8:02 PM Go to message in response to: mich7580

Good lord I hope no one else falls for this god awful company!! If you want to know how bad they are just do a google search for reviews and you will finds TONS and TONS of real horrow stories about how people got ripped off on the pots and pans, warranty issues, credit problems, etc... With the amount of horrible reviews out there it can only be the people working for the company who are leaving positive reviews about how great the stuff is.

My fiance and I got a call from Simplicity Bride whatever a year ago, maybe more then that and we went to the stupid presentation. We got suckered into placing an order and I went straight home and researched the company and IMMEDIATELY cancelled my order and I have not looked back ever since. They use high pressure sales and scare tactics about how bad teflon is for you and all of this other BS. Do the research yourself and forget about their 20 year old articles and videos from the 70's. Look up Royal Prestige, that is the name of the cookware, all of the companys selling this stuff are the same and they all come from the same place.

They pray on young couples who are just starting a new life together and may not have a lot of "street smarts". DO NOT fall for it. If you want the trip go and get it but run fast from that cookware. All the crap about how it is more affordable and better quality then what you buy in the store, really?!?! Do you people watch the food network? If this was the best cookware out there don't you think professional chef's would be using it?!?! If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. My fiance and I have registered for high end Calphalon pots and pans at Macy's, you know how much for an entire set on sale?!?! $500!!! A fraction of what these people are trying to charge you. I have an awesome Calphalon wok style pan at home that my Dad gave me as a house warming gift one year and I love that pan! If you take good care of your pans they will last you for years to come and they don't have to cost some absurd amount. My Dad got that Calphalon pan at Macy's on sale for something like $40!!!

Be smart about this, you don't need their cookware, it is outrageously priced, and chances are it won't last a life time and when something does break good luck with their supposed warranty. Read the reviews, do the research, and take your business elsewhere!

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: 2009ToBeMrsV

I got a call from some company (I forgot the name) but they told me I won a 3 night and 2 day vacation to the Caribbean. I only had to pay for airfare. In order to get more info I have to go see them cook for me and see some of their cookware. I wonder if it's the same company as Simplicity G. I'm not going though because who wants a 3 night 2 day honeymoon when u have to pay for airfare. Airfare is pricey so I may as well go for more than 3 nights!

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

CheetahAngel -

They are all the same company, they just change the name around.

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Beth007 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/26/09
Posted: May 26, 2009 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

All! Thank you! I, like the rest of you, recieved a call from Simplicity Gourmet. I was lucky to be in a location where my phone service wasw poor and had to end the call, but I am sure they will be calling back. I was then able to find this forum on them, and THANKYOU for saving me the time and pressure! If you get one of these phone calls you can find their web site on line and research on your own, or just tell them your not interested. BTW, I think you are all on to something with the David's Bridal connection!

RyeRyeRye Posts : 1 Registered: 1/3/10
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Maybe not a scam by the legal definition, but it is certainly a shady business. They have been reported to the national Better Business Bureau 16 times. The state BBBs probably more.

I can also safely assume many of the commenters here are fake and posted by the company itself, or hired commentors.

If these people call my house another time, I'm going to make certain they don't call again.

Remember... If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Sorry to anyone else who got their hopes up over this, I had to comfort my fiancee after they ruined her night.

brunettebride2011 Posts : 8 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: RyeRyeRye

I kept getting calls from this strange number and just checked my voicemails telling me to call back because my name was drawn from something I filled out at a recent bridal show. They said it was simplicity gourmet and when I called they said that my name was 1 of 4 drawn that won an all expenses paid 3 day trip. they said they didn't want any money what-so-ever but I had to attend a meeting or something to get my confirmation number. It does sound way too good to be true and the guy on the phone made it seem like I HAD to go to this thing because my name was drawn or whatever! I just called them back today so I'm not sure if I should go at all to that meeting. I would love the trip.....has anyone actually got one?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: brunettebride2011

Dear KRS,

The "meeting" is a high-pressure sales event to get you to sign up for the cookware.

You did not win anything. They call everyone on their list. Go to a bridal show? You're on their list. Go to a wedding dress shop? You are on their list.

Remember, true contests offer the incentive of a prize if you do something. Go to McDonalds, get a scratch-off, and you might win a free order of fries, or a trip.

If you "win" (ha ha) the prize BEFORE you have ever heard of the contest, then it's a scam. That's just like all those "Your email has won the Nigerian lottery" email messages you get. There is no lottery. There is no contest. There are people waiting for your money.

If you buy this cookware, or any cookware, or any retail product anywhere, you are paying for the basic wholesale price of the item PLUS any marketing costs.

Let's say you buy a saucepan from Wal-Mart. You are paying for the wholesale price of the saucepan, plus the Wal-Mart ad in the newspaper advertising the saucepan. Get it?

So, if you buy a set of cookware because they are also giving you a "free" trip, you are paying for the wholesale cost of the cookware plus the cost of the marketing - ie the "free" trip. That's why you have to go to their meeting, first, before you can claim your trip. They pressure you into buying the cookware, or signing up for some kind of cookware subscription. Once they know what kind of profit they will make from you, they award the "free" trip. The profit is your retail cost minus the wholesale cost of the (cheap shabby) cookware.

I urge you to research this thoroughly before you commit to anything. It's like those "free trial" teeth whiteners advertised all over the internet that sign you up for a monthly subscription, then make it almost impossible to cancel the automatic monthly payment.

Please, think about it. I'd just as soon buy a saucepan from a reputable store, then pay for whatever trip I'd like to take, stay where I like and go when I like and for as long as I like.

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: OnigiriArmy

I am wondering the same thing and it's got me worried, because a lot of people, all from here got the call so I'm wondering if it might be related to us being signed up to the site??? I don't know how this works but I'm concerned.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine