Unique Ideas

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

CaliGa8r Posts : 12 Registered: 1/29/10
Unique Ideas
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 4:57 PM

Hey all,

FI and I would really like to do some unique favors for our October wedding. We are planning on a retro 30s jazz theme, so we'd like to keep it copacetic. But I can't tell you how many times we've gone to weddings and come home with some favor that's like "what in the world am I going to do with this?" We would like to avoid getting anything that will either just take up space or be overly done (Jordan almonds in tulle springs to mind). Just something cool, something inexpensive, and something that people would like to keep. A friend suggested candles in our colors, but that doesn't have enough oomph so if there is a way to trump that up, let me know!
"Marriage is not only the beginning of a relationship but also the end of a life long search for the other half of your soul."

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Unique Ideas
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 6:11 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

Dear Cali,

In my opinion, the best favors are edible. If one more useless knicknack comes into my house, I will scream.

Late in 2008, a young friend of mine got married. Her grandmother made homemade jam and packed it in tiny jars for their wedding favors. It was just enough for two pieces of toast the next morning.

That might be something you could do. Put a label on it with "Jam Session" or something similar, and your names and wedding date.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

That's a really cute idea! My grandmother passed this past Spring, but she did give me the recipe for her super sought-after pear preserves before she did. Maybe I can find some really cute jars and do that!
"Marriage is not only the beginning of a relationship but also the end of a life long search for the other half of your soul."

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

Jam Session is cute.

But you could also do a cd favor.

Misty

VTWedding Posts : 2 Registered: 2/2/10
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

There are a ton of practical favors out there that might work for you. Some ideas that come to mind are:

• martini glass/champagne gel candle (these look really real- olive and all)
  • wine stopper
  • picture frame that can also be used as a placeholder
  • tons of kitchen stuff like measuring spoons in a gift box that says "Love Beyond Measure" or a cute kitchen timer in a gift box that says "Time to Celebrate"
  • scented or personalized soap
  • tea infusor
Let me know if you need anymore ideas!

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 8:12 AM Go to message in response to: VTWedding

OP: I think we've picked on some of these before.

1. Wine Stopper. Great. Do all of your guests drink wine? Me, that would be completely useless for as I hate wine. Wine stoppers are a bit too pricey to be just handing them out willy nilly to people who won't use them.

2. Picture frame / place holders. That's one of those tacky (and I do apologize to anyone who actually has done it) gifts, A frame that will only fit a business card is not really worth much to anyone. They look great for the table, and make the table look nice; however, don't confuse that with a favor. And don't confuse your guests with a wedding crap disposal unit.

3. Candles. This is another iffy one. Martini Candles? Unless martinis are important to you and your FH, a martini candle is just stupid. Candles can be cute, but they do fall into the category of wedding crap.

Misty

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: VTWedding

Dear Vendor,

Everything you listed are under the category of "useless knicknack". None of them would make it past my front door.

Buy an ad or go away.

VTWedding Posts : 2 Registered: 2/2/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I am sorry that I upset you so much. I thought that wedding professionals were allowed on the site because when you sign up it asks if you are a bride, friend of the bride, vendor, etc. And if you are a vendor it asks if your specialty. I didn't think that I was doing anything wrong because I didn't spam the board or even attach a link to my store. I took the signature off of my post to try to make up for my transgression.

A friend used measuring spoons at her wedding recently and I still use mine, so I didn't think they were useless knicknacks. Again, I am sorry.

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

we are doing bride and groom brownie pops...www.beau-coup.com/mini-wedding-brownie-pops.html

i hate knick-knacky stuff also, so i definitely wanted to be doing something edible. each couple is getting a bag that has "Eat, drink and be Married" on it and in the bag is a bride and groom pop and a mini bottle of champagne that has our monogram engraved on it.

and the brownie pop place gave us a 15% discount for ordering so many!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

RomanticaSposa Posts : 6 Registered: 9/29/09
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

Perhaps you could cut cookies in the shape of a music note to keep with the jazz theme? Then you can decorate it with your colors if you wish to make them more personal... maybe tie a note on it that says something meaningful to you and the groom? Cookies and brownies are nice favors so at the end of the night people have something to snack on, that isn't Jordan almonds.
In the mind of brownie pops, I have also seen mini pie pops... I can try to find the link if you would like it.
Hopefully this is a bit helpful. :) Good luck planning!

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

CANDY APPLES!!

I went to a wedding a few months ago and the favors were candy apples and they were the talk of the wedding! Another idea could be honey in small jars. There are companies that will do the jars of honey with a label on them for your special day!

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: RomanticaSposa

In regards to Cali's post, if you didnt want to do cookies....how about a "music note" cookie cutter? You could put it in a satin sash bag and tie a label for your day on the ribbon!

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: VTWedding

They are. We're just very wary of vendors who come on for advertising purposes. That you've removed your ad and didn't post a link indicates that you're interested in being a member of the community, not a seller of things. I hope so.

Misty

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Thanks for all the great ideas! I spoke with FI and he also thinks the homemade jams would be neat. We found a great site that had them really cheap, so we thought about doing two different flavors,very NOLA (bananas foster and a sweet potato butter) with the tops done in our wedding colors, but I also like the cookie cutter idea. If I can find those reasonably priced, I'll prob add that on as well!

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: CaliGa8r

Dear Cali,

I actually thought about your message last night, as I was drifting off to sleep. Here is what went through my mind.

The "Jam Session" idea would work only if there was actual jam in the jars. It might be a bit weird to put something else in there and call it "Jam Session".

HOWEVER, my sleep-befuddled mind had another idea. (Pitch or toss)

I love The Manhattan Transfer. They have a great song called "Soul Food To Go". As in Jazz is soul food to go.

"We've got it cool and hot, just for you, the pleasures of the soul, come on, come in 'n' check it out, Soul Food To Go"

If you put some NOLA type food, instead of real jam, in the little jars, then consider "Jazz is Soul Food To Go" on the lables, and say nothing about "jam".

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine