My wedding dress is too small!

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

kacieincognito Posts : 3 Registered: 2/2/10
My wedding dress is too small!
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 10:28 AM

I am sure many brides out there are hoping to shed a few pounds in order to look there best on there special day. I guess you could say I am one of them... to an extreme. I bought a dress at the August 2009 "Running of the Brides" in Boston. I found a gorgeous dress in my street size, but not my dress size. I took the risk and I bought it thinking "I have over a year to fit into this thing! That's more than plenty!" Well, now I've got less than 9 months and I'm still not fitting into the thing... there's no Plan B. I'm wearing this dress! LOL. I need to make it happen. Any tips or words of encouragement? To see a picture of how small my dress is or check out my weight loss journey here: http://slimdownforthegown.blogspot.com/

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: My wedding dress is too small!
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

I'm soo glad you've posted this! I get my dress in a couple of weeks (my wedding is in June) and when I bought it was at the end of last summer, and I was skinnier than I was now due to being stressed and a hectic schedule. After that, I was working out about 5x a week to keep the weight off, and once New Years hit, I haven't worked out once! I just haven't had the motiviation, I think the winter is creeping up on me finally, and I've been eating more too. I KNOW I've gained weight, not exactly sure how much because I refuse to weigh myself, but I feel it. I've just been putting it off, thinking "Oh I got until June"...then yesterday I realized I should probably fit in it when it comes in, not just in June! I'm back on that work out starting today, and I'm stopping eating just because something is good even though I'm not hungry, LOL.

Is there anything you have been doing so far? Doing cardio/aerobics is a good way to burn calories, and I believe when your losing weight it's best to eat 1,200 calories a day. Also, don't eat a lot of carbs. I'm not really good at weight loss advice, I just have done wii fit, and now I'm doing wii active since i got that, but hopefully the other ladies on here will have some advice!

Colelle Posts : 48 Registered: 6/21/09
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

I'm currently working out too to be toned for my wedding in July. My advice is to get into a super set routine-- your best best is to work out right after you get up. I HATE getting up early, but I've been either going to sleep in my workout clothes or putting them right next to my bed for when I get up.

Keep that picture of your dress with you in your wallet/purse to keep you motivated. I read in my Self magazine (they have good workouts online on their website btw) that you need to reduce 500 calories from your daily diet. I recommend a food journal--it's amazing how the calories really add up. Yeesh.

For exercise keep changing it up--if you do the same thing all the time your body will adjust to it and you'll stop seeing results. I have a different workout each day of the week, with Sundays off so I don't get bored and to challenge myself.

The only way I've been able to stick with it perfectly is to have a buddy--right now that's my fh. But definitely buddy up--not only will it make you more competitive and inspired, but you'll be accounatable to them if you don't show up your workouts lol.

For cold days (I wont go to the gym if its freezing) I have 4 different dancing workout videos. They're fun and a nice change from the gym. Plus I'm feeling more coordinated.

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

I am also working to slim down for our July 3rd wedding. You still have about 9 months, you said? That is plenty of time! If you get into a regular workout schedule and watch your calorie intake, you should be fine. I've always heard that when on a weight loss program, 1-2 lbs a week lost is healthy, so even at 1 lb a week, that's 4 lbs a month for 9 months= 36 lbs! Not bad!

I'm looking to lose about 20 lbs before the wedding, so I'm hoping for about 2 lbs a week. Currently I am going to the gym every other day, plus walking the dog every night (about 2 miles), plus also doing some Wii Fit a few days a week, and watching what I eat- cut out sodas and general sugar intake, and watching portion sizes.

Another good tip is to find out exactly how many calories you should be eating a day- Google "calorie calculator" and you should find some helpful tools. I was really pretty clueless about how many calories I was actually eating a day, and how many I should be eating, based on my age, weight, activity levels, etc. It was definitely helpful knowledge for me!

I have to go get measured for my dress next week- I am just hoping that it will still fit after I lose a few lbs! I guess that's what final fittings are for, right? :) Good luck!

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

Hello,

How much weight do you have to lose?
If there is more information--maybe we can give more advice?

I started exercising January 18th again after about a 2 year rut.
The first week (started on a Monday) I went spinning 3x
The week following I went spinning 4x
This week I plan on going 5x (today is day number 4)

On days that I spin I eat 1200-1600 calories roughly. I don't measure and such but that's what it is roughly. On days that I don't exercise--I don't pay as much attention--those are usually the days that I treat myself to a few slices of pizza for dinner or a beer or two in the evening. I just can't eat badly on days that I workout--I feel too good about myself to ruin it with a Stella while watching Jeopardy in the evening.

I have lost 4 lbs in about 2 1/2 weeks which is exactly what I want to be doing--losing 1-2 lbs a week.

I am going to start to do core workouts and upper body strength workouts soon as well.

Apparently a lot of burning fat is muscle strengthening, not cardio.

Good luck!

jmrosazza Posts : 12 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

Two really helpful apps for iPhone or iTouch that I love are "Lose it!" and "water." The lose it app is basically a calorie calculator. The app itself has common foods and exercises programmed in it so you just search and add it to your daily log. You also have the option of watching nutrients (so you can compare your % carbs and % protein). When you first download it, you enter your current weight, goal weight, and number of pounds you want to lose a week. The app then calculates the number of calories you need to eat.

The water app keeps track of how much water you drink a day. Pretty basic. What might surprise you that most people need more than 8 glasses 8 times a day. I believe the calculation is 1 ounce of water for every 2 lbs of body weight (so if you weigh 120 pounds, you need at least 60 ounces of water). I like using this app because there is a strong connection between water consumption and metabolic rate.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

Oh you poor thing! I am sorry! I have heard the "isogenics diet" works wonders for losing weight fast. I don't know much about it, but you can research it and see if it is something you would like to try. I know you can do it girl! You are going to be a buff bride!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: May 21, 2010 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

your blog is wonderful! I have been procrastinating going to the gym for way too long now. I'm also getting married 10.10.10! I wish i had discovered your blog sooner. it's great motivation. My dress was also too small when we bought it and i also got it for a steal($200)! but i have the fall back of my mom being my seamstress and her planning on turning the zipper in the back to a corsette back but i should still be loosing as much as possible just to be healthy and to look good in mexico on the honeymoon!

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: annarebeccal

I could fit in my dress when I bought it but now I know that for a fact my dress doesn't fit. I just had a baby this month he was born Oct 2nd. I should try it on someday. :(

:) love ya

Holdens_Bride Posts : 15 Registered: 11/2/10
Posted: Nov 4, 2010 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: beachgal2004

I need motivation, I am going to check out your blog!!!!

I need to lose about 12lbs, which isn't a lot but mainly my arms. Ugh. My arms. and flappy flappy flappy. :(

pengchloe Posts : 8 Registered: 7/22/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 5:41 AM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

I have heard yoga helps in reducing weight and above all, for a good health. am not sure, how long it would take and also, if there is any diet to followed.

pengchloe Posts : 8 Registered: 7/22/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 5:43 AM Go to message in response to: pengchloe

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

Yeah I got my dress like a week or two before I found out that I was pregnant. Now I have to try to lose weight to fit into it.

:) love ya

HananaBanana Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/11
Posted: Mar 4, 2011 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: beachgal2004

I need bridal bootcamp- Love your blog!

achilipepper Posts : 6 Registered: 3/7/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 3:42 AM Go to message in response to: kacieincognito

Hi im so sorry to hear about your little issue.
Dont do the whole crazy diet starve yourself. I moved to mexico about a year ago and i put on 15 pounds in 1 year.
too many tacos lol.
but ive lost 15 pounds in 1 and a half months! im 5'8 and started at 155. I am now again at 140.
very simple dont count calories dont stress, the secret is dont think about food, dont make yourself feel deprived.

all you have to do is this:

eat 2 sandwiches a day.
that simple.
so what type of sandwiches?
deli turkey meat sliced really really thin. (tricks you into thinking there is more in their because it makes it fuller looking. half of a medium french baguette. yes thats right french bread! As someone who's lived in france i can say that french women eat it all day and they are all thin. so i don't buy into the whole carbs are bad bs.
mustard for flavor, greens and sprouts, tomatoes.
eat fruit in between when you are hungry.
i lost 4 pounds the first week and 2 week after that.
its so easy Im going to try for another 10 pounds!
no measuring no counting no starving no loss of energy.
good luck to you hope this helps.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine