Share the details about your ring!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 314

poohunne Posts : 17 Registered: 1/28/10
Re: Share the details about your ring!
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

That's beautiful, Misty!
I think his ring compliments your e-ring wonderfully! The match of your gold band to the heavy gold in his is just perfect. Your main stone is Sapphire? It's a beautiful blue in the picture.

I like the ring picture, too. My FH and I have a habit of holding pinkies and decided we def need a shot of that. I bought him an antique signet ring a couple years back, which he wears on his right hand pinky. When we link pinkies, that signet is next to my e-ring.

It's kind of grade-schoolish, but it's just "us." I don't know how else to explain it.

-Winnie

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: poohunne

Yep, blue sapphire (lab created...they sparkle more). It was actually the sales person at Kay's idea for him. We were looking at wedding bands and she looked at my ring and said "Let me show you something, and see how you feel about it." We saw it and were like "that's his!" For mine she had initially suggested two 2mm bands on each side, but the bands were not quite right when they came in -- they were too flat. The silk fit 4 mm band was the right height to match the e ring. Our wedding bands were absolute nightmares. I'm MOSTLY happy with mine now but it has taken me a while to get there. It is not what I want, and I know we can't afford that right now. We're going to do it for an anniversary (I am hoping for the 5 year). We're going to have custom bands made in the design of my wedding ticker. We were supposed to have it for the wedding, but after six months of run aroudn from the original jeweler, we said "enough", got our deposit back, and went elsewhere. We just could not afford the bands at another place (I know this guy will do it right, and we're not even complaining about the cost -- you just have to know what you can and cannot afford.) The WORK we could afford, the gold we could not. Well, the rings we have now will be melted down to make the rings we have designed -- but we're saving that for an anniversary.

Misty

Posted: Jan 31, 2010 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I like the way the plain band makes the stone in your e-ring "pop." It really drew my eye to the stone.

I love your ticker design. The "heart knot" detail is simply perfect and it will make a stunning band.

My FH and I are, as I said, still up in the air about our bands. We've toyed with the idea of getting simple bands now, and upgrading on an anniversary when we have the means to make the purchase.

I'm so glad you're happy with your custom jeweler, they're very hard to find outside of expensive boutiques in metro areas. We've found a couple at a local Rennaisance Fair and have inquired about rings wtih them. They're fairly priced, but the travel is hard since the shops are not at the Ren Faire or near our home town, and time off during the week is not available to us until the week of the wedding.

BTW - where did you get your wedding ticker? I'm interested in findind one.

CassieLynn Posts : 7 Registered: 1/4/10
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 4:00 AM Go to message in response to: poohunne

My engagement ring! :) Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality - I took them myself.

I don't know too much about the specifics but it is a white gold band with a Celtic-inspired twisted/knotted design on the sides. (He thought it was very fitting, considering I'm over 50% Irish.) The stone in the center is a natural emerald and is darker in real life; my flash made it look a lot brighter than it really is. If you look closely, there are two small diamonds on either side of the emerald. I have no idea what it cost, and I don't really care, but I know it was probably around $500 to $600 dollars maximum since we are both college students.

I was so proud of my FH - he picked it out himself! :) Granted, he had a little help from his mother and I had told him before that I preferred emeralds to diamonds and white gold to yellow gold, but still.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 8:05 AM Go to message in response to: CassieLynn

It sounds pretty, and very fitting! I can't see them though. Are the pictures available elsewhere on line? (I'm asking, as you're new, so you might not know how to post pictures)

Upload it to your Brides.com profile. Then right click on it. Then paste it in here.

Misty

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Are the pictures showing up now? I can see them on my computer at least.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: CassieLynn

No, the pics aren't showing up, dear. It sounds lovely, though.
An emerald for an Irish Lass is good luck! I can't see the other post so I don't know if you said it was Emerald Cut or not. Is it? I hope you get the pics to show, I can't wait to see your ring!

I wonder -

how many people actually go with stones other than diamonds, these days?

I know when we started looking at e-rings, there were a lot of places that talked about alternatives to diamonds. I knew I didn't need a diamond and I wanted my FH to be able to pick something he liked too. We were discussing things about e-rings and he was floored by the idea that the "tradition" is to spend "two months salary" on a ring. He actually started to cry because as much as we love each other, there was no way our budget could support that. I don't know many people who HAVE two months salary to strap on somone's finger - especially in the current economy.

-winnie

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: poohunne

CassieLynn my computer still isn't picking up your photos =(

My engagement ring is very simple & classic. I adore the diamond that my FH selected. It's a .97 carat F VSI1 with an excellent cut. The stone is set in a 4-prong tiffany setting. The setting shows off the diamond's every corner!

I love its simplicity.

"Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: poohunne

The two month salary thing as a guideline is completely not possible for most people. I can guess at what my fiance spent on the ring, but I've never asked him outright, nor do I really know for sure how many carats it has. Based on what my mom's 1 ct, with .5 ct side stones ring looks like, I'm guessing it's juuust over a .5 ct in the center stone. Online, I feel totally normal talking about the specifics of it, but when people ask me what "size" my ring is in person, I get a little wierded out by it. I usually try to ignore the question by talking about something else, but if they ask again I say "an 8, I have chubby fingers." I know thats not really what they're asking for, but it usually gets across the message that I don't want to tell them. I don't really know what turns me off about talking carats with someone I don't know that well, it just seems like a really personal question. When my fiance asked me what bothered me about it, I compared it to being asked how much I weigh.

The ring he picked out is perfect for me. It's a round center diamond in a square 4 prong setting (which makes it look a little bit bigger) with 3 rose leaves forming an outward pointing triangle shape on each side. The rose leaves each have a little diamond in the middle. Even though it's not what I thought I wanted, it's very "me" and I love the leaves. My FH's family jeweler made it based on a really old setting. It's not a style I've seen before BUT PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU HAVE, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MATCH A WEDDING BAND TO IT

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

SmGray your ring is so unique. I would go for just a simple band in the same color gold to go with it as the e ring has so much character.
wedding tickers

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

Okay, I think I fixed it not. Or at least, I hope I did. crosses fingers
It's just weird - I've been able to see my pictures this whole time, but no one else can.

@poohunne: No, it's not emerald cut. I have no idea what the cut is, actually. It's almost like an oval and a diamond shape combinde.

@SMGray: That is so gorgeous and unique! I don't think I've ever seen an engagement ring like that. As for a wedding band, I agree with starfish: a simple band would look best with such a unique e-ring.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: CassieLynn

Thank you!!! I'm lucky that my FH has a jeweler that his family has worked with forever, the same guy made his nephew's engagement ring a few years ago, and he also put together the first piece of jewelery that Dom ever got me: a green Peridot and gold ring for our first Valentines day. The jeweler suggested maybe making a band out of the leaves from my e-ring but I'm wondering if that might be a bit much. He also said if I want to try that out, he'll have the ring made with no obligation for us to buy it when it's done. He seems pretty confident that he'll be able to sell it to someone else if it's not the right band for me. I think you guys are right though, I'm going to see what some simple bands look like before I have anything new made.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 1:03 AM Go to message in response to: CassieLynn

CassieLynne, I was just able to see your ring pictures, its GORGEOUS! It's so different! I knew I wanted a diamond in mine (I'm a little bit traditional) but I love all the other stones people have chosen. The shape of your emerald is really beautiful- the whole ring is really striking. Congrats!

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: SMGray

Cassie:

I love your ring. It is very beautiful. I'm a fan of the marquis cut stone.

What are you going to have for a wedding band?

Misty

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

@Cat: To be honest, I have no idea yet. I'm guessing I will go for a simple band though, since my e-ring is so decorated.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine