hair help

Online Users: 1,258 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
hair help
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 2:54 PM

So, I don't exactly know what I want my hair to look like for the wedding, which is less than 7 months away, but I do know what I don't want. I don't want "prom hair" you know, stiff hair that is stiff and not natural.

My fiance likes my hair best when i scrunch it, so I'm thinking a wavy half updo would look good for our beach wedding. I have been looking online and not found anything that is quite right. I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions and/or pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: hair help
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I don't know how well you can see my hair in this pic, but hopefully it will help. I didn't want "prom hair", either. I have shoulder-length wavy hair that I sort of scrunched, then a stylist did a half-updo and made a sort of crown of baby's breath at the top--I guess it's sort of hard to see in the picture.

If the stylist hadn't been available (I wanted this particular one), I could've done the half-updo myself, really, but without the baby's breath. I wanted simple and wanted to look like myself, just nicer.

043.jpg picture by kdavidson13

preview image

Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:50 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

very pretty, thank you

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

Maybe something like this?its what I plan for mine because I want a "soft" and not prom like hair do either and you could do something along these lines but have your hair more wavy/scrunchy to begin with...

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I think that half up do's are great for beach weddings, especially when it's wavy or scrunched! I feel like it looks natural in photographs. I pulled some photos that I thought might help you decide.

wedding hairstyles, hairstyles, celebrity hairstyles, jessica simpson, jessica simpson hair, formal hairstyles, updos, half up hairstyles, casual hairstyles, ana ortiz, ana ortiz hair, tori spelling, tori spelling hair

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

JerseyGirl: I really like the first one, thank you

Future Mrs. Fransen

--Unknown

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: FmF

The first pic was my favorite too FmF.
I think you're stylist will have some great ideas for you too! Are you going in for a trial-run before the actual day of? By doing a trial-run, it may ease your mind.

"Have I Told You Lately that I love you? Have I told you there's no one else above you? Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I reallly wish I could do a trial but I can't since it's a destination wedding. "There isn't any time

Future Mrs. Fransen

--Unknown

JennfromFolsom Posts : 34 Registered: 3/6/09
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I did an half up half down do, had it curled...I was very pleased with the way it turned out!

Jenn & Dave

Married 10/4/09 Forest Hill, CA

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:19 AM Go to message in response to: JennfromFolsom

jenn your hair was lovely!

and your a califonia girl even better :)

Future Mrs. Fransen

--Unknown

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:31 AM Go to message in response to: FmF

Oh thank you. It's a pretty popular style...you just have to have pics for your stylist, it depends on what size curl you want pretty much. I think most hair stylists can pull it off. I also had an incredible curl setting spray to hold it the entire day, but still left my hair soft!

Jenn & Dave

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: JennfromFolsom

The half-up half-down style looks so nice in photos but how was it during your reception? I'm a ponytail kind of girl (now that my hair has grown out :) & I'm hesitant to spend money on getting my hair done professionally if it's going to be in the way while dancing during the reception. I sweat easily & I don't want to be a gross mess b/c my hair is sitting on my neck all night long.

Jenn- how did you handle your hair during the ceremony & reception? Was it half-up half-down the entire night? Did you feel like you were too hot with it being down?

"Have I Told You Lately that I love you? Have I told you there's no one else above you? Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Well first of all, our wedding was supposed to be outdoors, but it was too cold in October, so we moved the reception inside, and kept the ceremony outdoors. And I actually wore my veil the ENTIRE night! I wore two veils for the ceremony and pics and then kept the fingertip on for my reception. They cost like $300 and I wasn't wearing them for an hour!!! It kind of got warm dancing inside after a while, but they had no ac and just huge windows that I kept opening and the older relatives kept shutting them. I'm sure in any wedding venue, there will be mega AC on at the time of your wedding...(ours was up in the Sierra mountains, they probably don't need any AC!). I was fine, my hair held up the entire night, but I don't sweat with my hair down. I wear it down normally every day just straight. If you wear your hair up a lot even in a pony tail, then you should probably do some sort of pulled back style or updo so you will look like yourself....that's the advice I was given prior to my wedding. But normally my curls would last only a few hours and then fall out, so I used a setting spray that was recommended by a stylist and it is amazing at holding the curls while not making your hair stiff at all. I can get you the name of it if anyone needs it, it was $17 at a salon or online.

You can see I actually wore two veils! I so loved being a bride! I had a long wait, I was 40!

Jenn & Dave

Edited by: JennfromFolsom on Jan 28, 2010 1:03 PM

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: JennfromFolsom

Oh I forgot to add that a lot of stylist will want to curl your hair if you come in after washing it the day before, they don't want to do curls on freshly washed hair....but with this styling spray, I actually brought it to my local salon and had them wash my hair the morning of the wedding, blow dry and then curl it and place the veil in it and it still lasted all day! It normally would not hold on freshly washed hair and I just really wanted my hair to be fresh for the wedding! I guess it depends on what you prefer but curls can be tricky!

Jenn & Dave

Posted: Jan 29, 2010 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: JennfromFolsom

what was the name of the styling spray you used?

Future Mrs. Fransen

--Unknown

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine