Guest Issue!

Online Users: 1,279 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

AAFR Posts : 5 Registered: 1/5/10
Guest Issue!
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 2:06 PM

Ok I have a good friend who has two girls. Her oldest is the biggest brat I think I have ever met. She doesn't listen to anyone including her parents.

They know that I am planning a wedding and I want to invite them but I am worried that the daughter will be a brat at the wedding and reception.

What should I do?

We are having a chocloate fountain and maybe a Candy Bar and I am also worried she will just get into it..

There will be a total of 12 kids at the wedding and reception so i can't say no kids ( because our kids will be there along with nieces and newphes).

Thanks.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Guest Issue!
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: AAFR

You have several options here...

1) Invite all the kids and deal with the possibility that this kid could misbehave. Have someone you trust keep an eye on the child, who can subtley point out to her parents that she is about to ruin a wedding.

2) Don't invite any children except family, and use that as an excuse.

3) Invite every kid except her. When your friend asks why the one child was left off, deal with the consequences and the very real possibility that your friend will be furious, and probably not attend at all.

My suggestion is to go with #1.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

Edited by: Bride2008 on Jan 22, 2010 2:15 PM

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: AAFR

You really can't exclude ONE kid if you are planning on inviting 12 of them. I think it's either all or none....with the exception of your own kids.

And really, the other 12 kids are perfect angels who won't touch a chocolate fountain? If you're concerned, then nix the fountain.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I agree with your number one choice. Invite all the kids and appoint someone to look after the brat. If the brat gets out of hand, that person can redirect her... say... take her for a walk or something. Just so everyone knows... little brats are little brats because they have parents who aren't being good parents. My opinion. In other words, it isn't the brat's fault she acts this way..blame Mom and Dad.

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: AAFR

Dear AAFR,

I go along with the idea of inviting the kid, but assigning someone to keep a sharp eye on her. How old is she, anyway?

If she's truly old enough to know better (16?) then I'd give serious consideration to not inviting her and talking truthfully to the mother and the kid about the reasons. "I'm sorry, but I cannot invite Pwecious because I was very disturbed by her behavior at Uncle Ernie's funeral and I can't have that at my wedding." At that age, she's old enough to hear her past behavior results in present denials.

If she's grade school aged or younger, then she's small enough to pick up bodily and eject from the room if need be.

Think of all those nice people who say "If there is anything I can do to help, let me know." Pick someone with an authoritative manner and ask them for a favor. An elementary school teacher or prison guard might be ideal.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

"If she's grade school aged or younger, then she's small enough to pick up bodily and eject from the room if need be."

Aunt, that is easily one of the funniest things you have ever posted.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Dear Bride 2008,

I'm the mother of twins. I did a lot of picking up and bodily ejecting when my children were younger.

In hindsight, I should have put an air mattress on the floors of their rooms, just to soften the blow as they came flying in. As it was, they just hit the carpet. They seem to have survived.

loveisjoy Posts : 85 Registered: 2/6/09
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: AAFR

I'm putting on my invitation, Adult Reception. The only kids that will be present are the kids in the bridal party...You can just have family kids and your kids there...I don't think it's nothing wrong with that, its your day.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine