Telephone RSVP

Online Users: 1,311 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Telephone RSVP
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:33 PM

In efforts to conserve paper we are using recycled paper invites and want to ask our guests to RSVP over the phone. We woud include a line along the lines of "In concern for our enviroment we request that you RSVP via phone" with two contact numbers.

We are forgoing paper placecards, menus, programs, and paper decorations. We want to use things that we can reuse in our home after the wedding i.e. Chalkboards ceramic decorations.

We will have a website for information such as directions and reception details but we didn't want to try and make our computer illiterate guest try and figure out how to RSVP online. I was wondering if this is ok or would people be offended?

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Telephone RSVP
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I wouldn't be offended, I would just suggest you be very careful about whose phone numbers are listed for RSVP and make sure they are reliable with phone messages. When I had my bridal shower, my sister in law called to RSVP and got my father on the phone. She told him "I am on my way to the airport, I have to go to Germany, but I will definitely be back for the shower. I will be there".

My dad told my mom "Jenn's sister in law can't come - she will be in Germany".

If you and FH will be taking the responses directly, I say go for it.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I had to call or email to RSVP for a wedding - and while I hadn't done that before I wasn't offended.

Suggestion though, I really suggest just having one phone number, not two. That way there's one point of contact.

TheLuckiest Posts : 357 Registered: 1/7/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I obviously don't know your guests or you personally, so maybe the line about being environmentally concerned will go over well. However, I personally don't want all my climate-change-naysaying, gas-guzzler-driving relatives to guffaw at my beautiful invites that I so painstakiningly designed just because they're "green" or "granola" or "tree-huggy". So we simply wrote "R.S.V.P Bride at 555-666-7777 or Groom at 555-676-7676" at the bottom of our invites. Was our motivation environmental? Sure, a little. But they don't need to know that they are helping contribute our cause

.:Katie:.

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: TheLuckiest

Thats true. While we aren't neccessarily concerned with "global warming" ( no offense to anyone who is) we just don't like the idea of wasting paper. You know the whole stewards of earth and all. haha.
So would "To RSVP please contact BRIDE at 123-456-7890" be a winner?

The phone numbers would definatly be me or the good lookin guy who wants to get married. Thats good thinking. I didn't really have a plan as to who's numbers people would be calling

Any other suggestions? Clever wording for the "tagline"

Edited by: Lemoncakeface on Jan 22, 2010 5:21 PM
to include an example of what we might put along with the numbers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Dear LCF,

I got married before RSVP cards came into vogue. We just put a line at the bottom of the invitation:

RSVP 321-555-1212

People can figure out what to do. You don't need to explain why you are not including cards.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Would it be possible to also set up an email address for people to RSVP to? I'm semi uncomfortable on the phone and I hate phone RSVPing. I'll do it, but I'll typically put it off until I really HAVE to. On the other hand, if I can just send an email, I'm right on top of it.

Just a suggestion.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I second the suggestion of providing an email address to RSVP. Some friends of ours created a unique email address for this exact purpose, when they got married. It was helpful to those people who, like the previous poster, were uncomfortable on the phone, or who were just too busy or whatever to pick up the phone. Some people prefer email. Just a thought.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I'd also suggest an email option. I'm not nervous about calling people on the phone, but my problem is finding the time to do so. Between work, a class that I teach, a volunteer committment, errands, DH, and everything else, I rarely have time to make phone calls at hours that are socially acceptable to call people. I can send an email, however, at midnight or at noon on a workday - whenever I find the time. And because I can send an email at any hour, it's more likely that I will do so before the RSVP date, whereas if I have to call, it literally might take me until after the RSVP date to have time/remember to call when I get a free minute at a reasonable hour to make a phone call.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I wouldn't do JUST an email address - a lot of my guests didn't have email accounts.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB,

I've actually been mulling over the idea of foregoing RSVP cards since I remembered you commenting at one point that etiquette/past practice (sorry, I don't remember which) was for people to use their own stationary to RSVP. Plus, with all the posts about people having to call guests to confirm RSVPs anyway, it seems almost a waste of stationary, stamps, time etc.

Also, we're giving guest two meal options, and I've had the worst time trying to figure out how to get all of the people's names and choices onto 1 RSVP card, especially when what I really need to know is what meals belong to what people so that I can provide an accurate seating chart to my caterer. Imagine the logistics on the card of a family of 6, seated at 3 tables (parents, older kids, younger kids), and trying to figure out which meals belong to which tables. Fun.

I really like the suggestions of having a phone number and email RSVP info on the invitation. I think also on your Brides.com wedding website (if you use it) there's and RSVP option that you can activate. Would it decrease the formality of the invitation to include the website listed as well?

E.g. RSVP 123-456-7891 or www.brideswebsite.com

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I am planning on doing email RSVP, or via our wedding website (although I'm unsure about that, because I can't customize it). I don't think that anyone will be offended that they were asked to RSVP over the phone or email. I say, save paper, a stamp and a trip to the mailbox!

As far as I know, all of our guests are email-savvy, but I will probably include a phone number for RSVPs as well, just in case...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine