Help with Wedding Colors

Online Users: 1,226 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Shar64 Posts : 7 Registered: 5/14/09
Help with Wedding Colors
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 7:01 PM

I love the fall colors, but unfortunately fall of 2010 is just too soon, and fall of 2011 seems just too far away, so I think I am settling on 7/30/11 as my wedding. I love burgundy and burnt orange, but some people say its too dark for the summer. the reception is in the evening. what do you think?? should i lighten it up with some cream or gold as a third accent color? should i just pick one or the other, but not the combination of colors? i'm not a pastel-y or girly or fancy kind of girl. what should i do? Thanks!!

Nicnak Posts : 27 Registered: 12/26/09
Re: Help with Wedding Colors
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: Shar64

I say its your wedding and you can do whatever you want!! I know its nice to have the colors go with the season but if you really like those colors and want the wedding in the summer, go for it! One of my good friends had a beach wedding and did a dark blue and everyone was like wow I would of never thought of that color but it look soooo good! They went with the theme of the ocean. So do whatever you want because if you do what you want it will be beautiful no matter what...Good Luck!

Our beautiful daughter, Jaylynn!

wedding planning guide

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

Your color scheme is very classy, I would add a cream color personally but it's your wedding. Don't add another color into the scheme unless you absolutely love it. I don't think that anyone will walk away from the wedding saying that your colors were too rich or dark for a July wedding, especially since it's an evening affair.
Where is your reception? What colors are in the venue already?

maemaeober Posts : 8 Registered: 7/5/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

I also love the Fall colors, but my wedding is in July.. I have found a good option that I have fell in love with... Gold, Silver, and Bronze with added browns for details and junk! I saw it Martha Stewarts New Wedding Magazine! I really think it's very sophisticated and fun!!

:] Just a suggestion!

BloggingBride1212 Posts : 25 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

You can definitely use that color scheme! I don't think the colors have the "match" the season as much as the fabrics for the dresses do. Plus I think it would be a nice change of pace from all the of the pastels that people usually see at summer weddings.

www.soulfulengagements.com

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

thank you for your opinion. My wedding venue will be at a golf course, and the venue is pretty much all white/cream.

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: maemaeober

interesting combo...thx!

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: BloggingBride1212

yeah, you're right...i shouldn't have to be so rigid into the season. but i think if i have airy fabrics, like chiffon or something, i can pull it off. thanks!

angeleeka Posts : 19 Registered: 1/24/10
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

Those are my colors! Burgundy, Burnt Orange, and Cream! Love it. Personally though I would probably use the burnt orange color and then two other lighter shades that would compliment it. If you used burgundy you could use gold or even silver and then cream. That'd be really pretty.
But! It's your wedding and if you really wanted to use those colors then you just use them! It's all about you and your fiance, nobody else.

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

I was concerned about my colors too. I really love the combination of pale yellow and pale gray, but my wedding is supposed to be a "country chic", rustic, outdoor event. I was really worried that the gray would make it look too modern. I ended up adding violet to punch it up a little, I think having a bright color in there will make the pale colors a little more whimsical.

Using fall colors during the summer isn't a bad idea, like one of the PP's said, they'll look really good with green grass and a blue sky. If your concerned about them being too dark, add a color that's more traditionally summer to lighten things up. I've always really liked dark red with a paler turqouise. My cousin did orange, brown and bright blue (I think she said it was called cerulean?).

Also, if you want to add a theme to your stationary and stuff like that, that would be a good way to make the colors seem more summery. If you had a wildflower or bird motif on some of your stationary, that would make people think of spring and summer no matter what color you used. You should probably stay away from leaf patterns though, because those are really fall.

Amberdawn7 Posts : 22 Registered: 2/6/10
Posted: Feb 6, 2010 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: Shar64

I had the same dilemna as you, shar! I don't have a date set yet, but I'm hoping for 8/11. I love fall colors, but I don't want my photos to end up looking like a fall wedding.

I may change my mind on this, but since my fiance likes purple, I might be going with orange lilies, a little purple, and a rose color. I did a drawing a while back of my idea:

flowers-2.png picture by keca7

Still very rich and warm like fall colors, but more vibrant for summer. And I get my orange this way!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine