Trying on dresses

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

kaylasqui05 Posts : 15 Registered: 11/19/09
Trying on dresses
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 12:42 PM

I have alot of catching up to do as far as planning! My wedding is in August of this year and the only thing i have done is booked chapel, booked reception hall, decided to go with silk flowers that me and bridesmaids will do together.

I have my first appt this weekend with David's bridal to try on a few dresses. I have bookmarked a few on their website that I would like to try on. I am also planning on trying on dresses at local shops. but my main concerns are the reviews I have read about DB, has anyone has a positive experience? I was hoping to just try on a few dresses b/c I know they have alot of different sizes and I am weird shaped. so my questions are:
1. Are they rude if they know you are only trying on dresses and are not purchasing anything?
2. Does the consultant have to go in the dressing room with you? I really dont want this, I would be more comfortable with my sister or mom.
3. what dresses fit top heavy women best?
4. Do I need to take a strapless bra with me or do they have them?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am really shy and worried about my first experience of trying on dresses but I am excited to find THE Dress!

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Re: Trying on dresses
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

1. I would not tell them you do not plan on purchasing from them. It can come off as rude and the consultant will be more annoyed than anything and probably won't do as good of a job helping you. Plus, if you go in with the attitude that you aren't going to buy, you might pass up on your dream dress just because you went in with the "not going to buy" attitude.

2. I'm not sure about DB, but at every place I went the consultant helped me into the gowns. The stores do not want their gowns tossed around, ripped, put on wrong, etc, so they generally don't let you put them on. If you're self conscious, just remember that they see tons of women every day in every shape, size, and color.

3. It's really hard to generalize about which styles look best on which sorts of women. The guidelines on websites will tell you to choose XX neckline or whatever, but really it just depends on you personally and your body. Try on a range of styles and see what you like and what you don't--then narrow it down from there.

4. Bring or wear your own bra. Even if they do have them available, would you want to wear a bra that is probably ill-fitting and that 100 other ladies have worn before you, sweated in, etc? eeeek.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

I have gone to David's Bridal and the lady was really nice to me. I guess I was lucky. She never rushed me and always brought over as many dresses

as I wanted. As she helped other brides fit into their dresses I got the chance to admire my dress and wear it for awhile. I didn't want to take it off lol. I've only been there once so I can't really tell you much. Next month my bridesmaids have an appointment to try on dresses. I'll see how they are then. But when I went everyone was really nice and very helpful. They answered all of my questions and even suggested things. As long as you're nice to them they will be nice to you.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

I agree completely with the PP.

1. Do not tell the consultant that you aren't purchasing because they will be annoyed and rightly so. If I go into a furniture store and a sales associate asks me if I need help and I respond that I am just looking they can go do something else with their time such as showing furniture to someone who wants to buy. This doesn't happen in a bridal shop because they don't let you just go through the racks alone.

2. Every place I went to the consultant also helped. As the PP mentioned they want their gowns taken care of. They are very good about getting you into dresses discreetly and gracefully.

3. I was a 38DDD when I tried on dresses and thought I wouldn't like strapless but that's what I bought. I found that the sweet heart strapless was more flattering on my chest than a strapless that went straight across. Some of those gave me one large uni-boob. I like the beading on my dress because its all in the waist area. I recommend beading in any areas other than your chest. There are a variety of styles that will work for you. Stay away from halter tops.

4. Bring your own bra. Its very unlikely that the stores will have bras and also the ew factor. I would also recommend bringing your own shoes. Shops usually have shoes for you to try on dresses, but not necessarily the right size and again the ew factor.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

I am a David's Bridal Bride.

1. My consultants were always VERY helpful. They listened to what I liked/didn't like about certain dresses and found things that worked. A good friend of mine went in one day with a "must buy dress that fits me today" thing (her wedding got pushed up about 5 months, so she got her dress about 3 weeks prior to the wedding). The consultant found the dress. There were actually two working with her. While one was lacing her up, another gal was fetching what the consultant had told her to get (new girl). When she brought one past us, we KNEW it was it...just from the hanger. It was everything Julie had specifically said she liked about each of the other dresses she tried on. Julie, however, didn't like it on the hangar, but when she walked out of the dressing room and saw it--we knew from the look on her face.

With mine, I tried on about 8 dresses--including a couple strapless and mermaids (both styles I knew I didn't want)....and they both looked FABULOUS!. I ruled out the mermaid on a practicality standpoint... I knew our reception was going to have a lot of swing music, and you just can't move in a mermaid...not like that. Had a lot of vavavavoom factor though.

2. The consultant helped me into the long line bra--but not before I had pulled it up. Honestly, there is NO getting that sucker on alone. When I went with my mother, my mom did the bra thing for me. The consultant also zipped up the slip, but I never felt naked with her. SHe helped me into each of the dresses, but truthfully, if you're wearing the bra/slip you're as covered as you will be in a strapless, it's just hardwired into "I'm in my undies!! EEEK!"

3. I did a halter. I'm a size 8, 34D, and I loved the look. While the strapless looked good on me, I also know my mentality, I'd be freaking out over the thing all night long. I wanted something there so my brain was able to register "there is something holding the dress up" (but honestly, the dress did that and the straps really were just for show)

4. David's does have bras that they use and slips. They will ask you your bra size. My FIRST consultant (I had two, but I preferred #1) took the size down by two (so I bought a 34B). The second one brought me the D and it didn't work right. The funny thing is I initially told her I was a 34C, and she brought me the A. When I came out, she looked at me and said "You're a D. let me get a different bra." (My cups runneth over apparently)

I took shoes of the approximate height that I was planning on wearing -- you don't have to have your real shoes, but if you know you want 2.5" heels, take those. If you have jewelry you KNOW you want to wear, take it. (I took the blingerific necklace I was loaning to Julie when she was trying on dresses.... because it was so blingerific <it's a Diamonique Tennis Necklace... SERIOUS Bling Action> she went with a less blingy dress).

They'll also try veils on you. It's what they do, so let them....if you have an idea of what kind of veil you'd like, let them know. I had not planned on a veil, but something they said did actually sway me. I'm also very glad I listened. Something about a veil makes you feel like a bride. And if you think about it, those wedding dresses that you see in magazines... which ones look more bridey? The ones with veils. HOWEVER, do not feel compelled to purchase the veil there. You can get them on eBay for less. You can also get a plain one and decorate it yourself. (I did that. 10 hours of sewing on beads and I have a lovely and completely unique veil. WELL worth it. If I had bought the veil like that, I'd have spent probably upwards of $200.)

Misty

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

Thank you for the responses. I am going tomorrow to purchase my own strapless bra.
I am very nervous about trying on dresses, it is very frustrating for me to go regular clothes shopping b.c of my odd body shape. I am 5'1, dd chest and size 14 waist. Hopefully I will find the perfect dress!

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

I went this weekend and tried on dresses and think I found the one for me! I only tried on 3. opinions please..

JennfromFolsom Posts : 34 Registered: 3/6/09
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

Just don't let them pressure you into buying something....their sales last forever, almost 6 months! They have some nice new stuff in their store, just sleep on it before you buy anything! I'm a two dress bride....I know! So many dresses look so beautiful on, it's hard to decide.

Jenn & Dave

Married 10/4/09 Forest Hill, CA

ButterflyTiff Posts : 27 Registered: 12/7/09
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: kaylasqui05

Pretty! I would definitely wear a nice updo with that dress!.

Did you end up buying it or are you still looking?
magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine