Would September 11, 2010 Be a "bad" day to get married?

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 13

YoursTruly Posts : 5 Registered: 11/16/09
Would September 11, 2010 Be a "bad" day to get married?
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 5:50 PM

Hello All,

I ask this question with the hopes of getting some honest feedback!

My Fiance works out of the Country for 3 weeks at a time, leaving our date selection limited. We don't want to wait until 2011 and don't want to just have to settle on our venue.

We are not a superstitious couple, at all. But, would it be in bad nature to have our wedding on September 11th?? Oh, and our venue is willing to give us a discount if we do it on this date as well!!

Please HELP!!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Would September 11, 2010 Be a "bad" day to get married?
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

There's another thread somewhere on this topic, so if you don't get a lot of responses, search for it.

That said I do not feel it's bad to get married on Sept 11. My gf got married on Sept 11 a couple of years ago and she took the attitude that it was good to have something positive to remember about the date.

I say go for it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Here's the other thread I was talking about - Wedding on Sept. 11, 2010

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Awesome!! Thank you SOOO much for your feedback!

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Go for it! Good luck =)

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

My FH's parents were married on September 11th, many years ago. I guarantee you that on their anniversary, they are not thinking about the tragedy from 2001. They are celebrating their love. So I say, go for it!

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Personally, I would not want to attend a wedding on Sept 11th. I don't think it's superstitious - I think it's still too soon for it to be a tactful date, especially if you have guests on your list who were directly affected. It's just so hard to tell whether the date might offend or upset someone, as we all experience grief differently, even those who did not lose a loved one. I would steer clear of that date unless it was the ONLY possibility, as I wouldn't know what emotions the date might evoke in my potential guests.

That said, there's also something to be said about moving on with our lives as normal, rather than stopping everything on that day every year. Eventually, things will go back to normal and people won't think twice about planning an event for that day. After all, people get married all the time on Pearl Harbor Day or D-Day without giving it a second thought. With Sept 11, however, I'm not sure that we're there yet. More than anything else, I would be worried about your guests' reaction to the date.

If I received an invitation to a Sept 11, 2010 wedding, my eyebrows would go up. Whether or not I would attend would probably depend on whose wedding it was. For a very close friend or sister, I'd shut up and attend regardless of the date - but for anybody outside my closest inner circle, I would probably decline. I do not need to spend the entire day in contemplation, but my heart wouldn't be fully in a celebration.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I don't think so. By 9/11/2010, it would have been 9 years. In that time, your flower girl would probably have been born (if you have a flower girl). I think it's true that grief affects people differently, and some will not want to celebrate on that day, but I also think that on that day this year, babies will be born, people will celebrate anniversaries/birthdays, colleges will win football games (and college students will get drunk), and thousands of people will say "I do."

9/11 will always remind us of that day, but I don't think it's incumbunt upon us to only allow it that meaning. If I got an invitaiton to a 9/11 wedding, I'd probably think something like "Hey, they're getting married on September 11. Makes sense; it falls on a Saturday." and then I'd mail my RSVP and not think much more than that.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Thank you ALL for your feedback, I appreciate it very much!

I just found out that September 11th, is actually the ONLY Saturday in 2010 that we can have our reception at our dream venue. Plus, they are giving us a 50% discount on the Rental Fee!

I wasn't directly affected by 9/11/01, but I was indirectly affected just like millions of others. I still pray for those that lost their lives and their loved ones. With that being said, my FH and I feel like we will be honoring those that were lost with a day of joy, love and family instead of spending it dreading about the past in vain.

RomanticaSposa Posts : 6 Registered: 9/29/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

I got engaged this past September 11th. My fiance was hesitant to propose on this date at first, but decided to go for it, as he was so excited. I have a relative who was directly effected by September 11th, and she was the most happy for us, and thought it was wonderful that we were turning a day of tragedy into something to celebrate. Hope this helps? Good luck with planning!

ICEStandard Posts : 34 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Even though Sept. 11 is a sad day for all of us, I think you should get married on that day. Even though tragedy happens, we all like to see that people are still going on with there lifes and it also makes them relax. Congratulations and good luck.

www.icestandard.org

MrsBiery Posts : 56 Registered: 6/8/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: ICEStandard

My husband and I started talking on Sept 11, 2006 (we met online, but thats another story)..We also got engaged on that day a year later. If we sould have had that day on a weekend I think we would have had it. It is a hard day for many people but we do have to celibrate the lives that were lost.
MrsBiery2b

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 19, 2012 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: YoursTruly

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1245 is just $379.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine