What do you want your ring to be like?

Online Users: 1,344 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 60

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
Re: What do you want your ring to be like?
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: darylicel

Darylicel>> The link you posted is broken. Can you repost?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I really don't know what my ring will be like. I've told him white gold or silver,something classic, not modern andthat I don't care if it's a CZ instead of a diamond. I don't want him spending the "expected" 2 months salary on the ring. We are both pretty frugal with money and agree that you can get something very nice for around the $500 mark. I have not been able to get him to go look at rings with me so I'm sure he already has something in mind.

I'm starting to think it will not be for this christmas though because he plans on going to buy my "present" on the 23rd and I don't know if they would have whatever ring in my size, 5 is pretty small and hard to find in stock. He must have something else in mind. Maybe he is getting me a lizard or a turtle.. he wouldn't be able to pick that up until right before christmas otherwise it wouldnt be a surprise.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Is it possible that he's already picked it out and he's going to pick it up then, after its resized?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

woops, double post
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Edited by: NoseInTheGrass on Dec 26, 2009 7:24 PM

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I guess that would be possible, but we are together 99% of the time and I don't know of anytime in the last couple months that he has gone out shopping on his own. He knows I'm a snooper though when it comes to christmas presents so I think that is why he is saying he dosn't have anything yet.

I keep trying to guess other things my Christmas present COULD be, cause i know he is spending around $500.

ScienceVsRomance Posts : 7 Registered: 12/11/09
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

My style is pretty simple, so I would want a ring that complements it. I think the perfect ring for me would be an emerald-cut blue sapphire set in a white metal. I would prefer a platinum setting with a plain-ish band. I'm going to be wearing the ring for the rest of my life, so I'd want something that is going to hold up for all those years and still have a timeless, elegant look.

tinfoilxtouch Posts : 4 Registered: 12/25/09
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I totally respect your concern for being both environmentally friendly and humanitarian in the ring you wear. However, I will give you a little food for thought. It may make you change your mind, or you may still just like a ring with an alternate stone or look for a recycled ring anyway. At any rate, here are my thoughts…

• There are definitely companies you can buy diamonds from who have no political implications, nor any sub-standard working conditions. I believe De Beers mines everything out of Canada. I know there are other companies who exclusively mine in that area as well if you look into it. They might be more pricey, but they certainly are not blood stones.

• Recycling gold, for as popular as it has become for consumers, really doesn’t help the environment much. The amount of machinery, electricity, and other components (rhodium if you want a white ring) are probably just as bad, if not worse, than the impact of mining less than an ounce of gold. The only reason it’s even done is the pure value of the metal. Nobody would ever throw away gold, so companies find a way to buy it cheaper than they can mine it, then call it recycling.

I’m not trying to be cynical. Whatever makes you feel good about the ring is what you should aim for. Personally, I agree with a previous post that mentioned just looking at antique rings. They were probably made before the diamond trade got so nasty, which takes care of your first concern, and were also probably made from gold pulled out of a river somewhere in California before the supply there was dry.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

De Beers actually controls the mining industry in South Africa.

If non-conflict is a big deal then I would suggest either not having a diamond as the OP said OR getting a man-made synthetic diamond. :-)

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

Tinfoil>> I'm definitely getting a stone that isn't a diamond. Apart from not liking the "blood" attached to a diamond, I also don't really care for the way they look. They're boring to me.

The metal is a different story. If I could, I would have my ring made by a small business- preferabley a single metalsmith. In this case, I would have my grandmother's ring melted down and maybe something of my mother's. The process for this doesn't require much machinery or electricity. This said, I probably won't get it done this way because of money constraints, but at least I can cut down on the mining a bit in some way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Here is the ring I chose. I wanted some designe all the way around the ring, something that would always be sparkly.

Laikhra Posts : 8 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 5:26 AM Go to message in response to: Mattel

hey it's really awesome no word for this type of ring hmmm keep rocking thanks you so much :)
Great ring i like ring.....
---------
Girish
---------

Customer Service--Customer Service

Edited by: Laikhra on Dec 30, 2009 5:28 AM

DianaPlansWedding Posts : 12 Registered: 1/3/10
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Nose~ I didn't bother reading ALL of the responses, but I wanted to say that my BFF (who is also currently in Wisconsin!) has the exact same feelings as you about contributing to the diamond situation. So we were looking at rings for her today, and did you know that there are white sapphires that give you that same sparkle? She wants a pink sapphire center stone too, which is how I discovered the white sapphires, lol.

Anyway, just a thought!

George and Diana

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: DianaPlansWedding

wow the idea of having a white saphire is so genius to me! I went to Brilliant Earth's website but they didn't have many white saphire stones... does anyone know fo any other websites or jewelers with a variety of white saphire stones?

ChrisBride Posts : 33 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

This may sound weird but I really don't want to pick my own ring out though I have told him what I would like. My ideal is kinda simple I want a thicker platinum band, princess cut diamond, a carat maybe a little smaller I dont want something too gaudy or fake looking. Really just something classic, elegant kind of.
I love the ring you've chosen it's so pretty and the fact that it's enviornmental is even better! Here's to hoping an engagement's in your near future!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: ChrisBride

FH is pretty excited about buying a ring but I think he is a little nervous too.

Whenever we are in the mall he says "want to go look at rings?" but I have just told him to be patient and that we will in a few months.

We aren't getting married until after we graduate from our undergrads and that's in 2 1/2 years. I said we can look at rings in a few months and then hopefully we will be engaged around a year after we start looking, which will be our final year of our undergrads.

I think we are going to look and I'm just going to point out different things that I like, certain trends and styles that appeal to me. He will take that information and pick out the ring himself--maybe it will end up being a ring that we find together or maybe he will find a different one later on.

Certain things I want:

1. A yellow stone. I want it to be a darker yellow--not something that looks pale or diluted. I want it to be a nice, vibrant yellow.

http://www.venusjewellers.in/images/YellowSapphire1.jpg

2. A detailed band. It could have pave stones or neat engravings. I like the band on this Scott Kay ring.

http://www.brides.com/engagement/engagement_rings/gallery/vendor/designer/scott_kay/detail/158279?f=574%3a49&offset=3

3. No Diamond. I would really rather not have a yellow diamond. I was originally thinking topaz--it's economical and pretty. A pretty substantial ring will still cost usually under $1000. One of my favourite rings that I saw (that made me fall in love with yellow-stoned rings) was in an antique jewellery store and it had a fairly big yellow stone in it and it was beautiful--$350. However, my boyfriend wants to get me a more expensive ring that he can kind of show off about--so yellow sapphire is another option. If need be--I will take a diamond but it has to be conflict-free.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine