Birth control pills advice

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

lovey80 Posts : 10 Registered: 1/2/10
Birth control pills advice
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 4:01 PM

I am waiting till marriage to have sex and my wedding is in about six months. I have an appt to go to my doctor and ask about birth control but I wanted to get some advice and opinions from people who have been on it before visiting the doctor. I've heard that you need to start birth control a few months before having sex in order for it to be completely effective. I also want birth control mainly so that I don't have my period on my wedding day or on the honeymoon. I was thinking about asking for one of those kinds that only gives you your period four times a year or something. What are your experiences with this?

Also, I've heard that birth control pills can make your sex drive non existent and also make you gain a lot of weight. I'm worried about this as i already have a very low sex drive and I want to be able to fit into my dress. Any experiences with this?

What brands of the pill have you tried and what were your experiences with them? What did you like best/worst?

sadnco Posts : 16 Registered: 12/5/09
Re: Birth control pills advice
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

Being a nurse and having been on the pills for a decade I recommend lo-seasonque. You have a very light period once every 3 mo. If you plan ahead you can tell when you will start (if it will be at your wedding). If it is then you just start the next pack. It is low hormone which helps!

DNAmindy Posts : 47 Registered: 7/24/09
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

I went on the pill a few years ago and I love it. But for me, it did lower my sex drive. I have my yearly "lady-doctor" appointment in Feb and I'm going to ask her to put me on another brand to try to get my sex drive back up to normal. However, it's not like I'm never in the mood for it...it's just that sometimes my FH needs to do a little extra work to convince me that I want it, lol!

As far as gaining weight, I didn't. Well..I have gained a bit of weight over the last year but I'm 100% sure it's because I started eating too much, not because of the pill ;-)

Just tell your doctor exactly what you want out of a birth control pill and you'll probably get it. There are so many different kinds of pills (and other forms of prescription birth control) that I'm sure you'll find one that works for you.

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

Like PP's said, just tell your Dr. exactly what you want/don't want and they'll recommend the best option for you. I've been on the pill for about 13 years and have been on several different types of the pill.

I've never gained weight because of the pill, my weight fluctuated through the years, but I know it's because of diet and exercise. In fact I actually became underweight at one point because of all the exercise I got walking all over college campus! I know the pill causes different reactions in different women, but it's a misconception that the pill WILL cause weight gain. Just continue to watch your diet and exercise.

As far as sex drive, I'm with another poster on this, I've never had sex without the pill! So I can't really tell you! Sometimes I'm horny, others I'm not. I think I might have a tad bit lower sex drive, but it's hard to tell if that would be related to the pill or if it's just me since I've been on the pill since basically I started puberty! Guess we'll find out when I get off of it someday! And like someone else said, can't wait to see if your sex drive really increases then! haha

I've never had nausea with the pill, some girls do, and they usually recommend to take it at night or in the middle of the day with food to help that. The only problem I've had with the pill is that one brand caused me to have small dark spots on my face, not horribly noticable, but looks kind of like sunspots. I asked my Dr. About it and she said it was most likely a combination of that pill and the fact that I'm prone to dark skin spots. Great! So I'll basically be a zitty blotchy mess when I go off the pill, how lovely! haha

I do like the pill though, it's GREAT for regulating your period, every month it comes like clockwork, I have no surprises. That's why I got on it. In 8th grade I got my period once, it didn't come again for 9 months, so they put me on the pill to help reguate things. Never got off of it. And it really helps keep my skin clear from acne.

Again though, just talk to your Dr. Write down all your questions so you won't forget any once you get there. Best wishes!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

I have been on several different birth control pills over the years and wasn't happy with them on the whole. For some reason, they just didn't work out. Talk to your doctor about the various pills and their side effects. He or she will help you decide which one would be best for you.

Right now I wouldn't worry too much about how the pill will effect your sex drive, since it's harder to guage before you start having sex. When I was a virgin I had no sex drive at all. Once I started have sex, it was MUCH greater than it had been.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

Dear Lovey,

Two things are powerful aphrodisiacs:

1. Knowing that you are legally married and that sex is now totally OK.

2. Knowing that you are protected from an unplanned pregnancy with safe, effective birth control.

Talk to your doctor. Tell your doctor your concerns, then listen carefully to the response.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

I just wanted to add that if you are about to start birth control pills, you should get to your doctor and get started on one ASAP, just in case the side effects don't work for you.

I took Yasmin for about 3 years, then switched to the generic Ocella. I didn't like it as much, so I tried Yaz (which is the lower dose of Yasmin). I didn't like it because it wasn't nearly as flexible about skipping/moving periods, so I went back on Yasmin. I LOVED Yasmin (while I did gain weight over time, I imagine it was more my discovery of red wine and eating crap food than the pill), I didn't enjoy taking the pill every day at a cettain time.

Now, I'm on Nuvaring (and have been for about 4 months). I like it... it's really convenient not taking a pill every day. I don't seem to be very susceptible to side effects from birth control, so I haven't had any problems. I won't lie - it's not my favorite thing to get in and out, but it's nice to not worry much about it.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: lovey80

Hormonal birth control affects different women in different ways, so while reading comments from us may be helpful so that you have an idea of what side effects you MIGHT get, we can't tell you what brand of pill will work best for you. Neither can your doctor. It's pretty much trial and error - and you should give your body three months to adjust to a new pill (they are generally effective immediately if you follow the directions, but it takes your body time to get used to the hormones and some immediate 'side effects' will go away after you've adjusted).

Regarding your question about skipping your period for the wedding, I have never tried one of those 4-periods a year pills, so I can't answer that. HOWEVER, you can easily skip your period on a normal BC pill (ask your doctor specifically about doing this on your type of pill). Most BC pill packs give you 4 weeks of pills, but only the first 3 weeks are active pills that contain hormones. The last week of pills (usually a different color) are simply placebo 'reminder pills' that you take the week of your period. There is no medical reason for you to need a period while on birth control, so it is Ok to skip the placebo week (if you want to skip your period that month) and start your next pill pack right away. So that means going through weeks 1-3 of the first pill pack and then starting the next pill pack and going through weeks 1-3 when you would ordinarily move on to the placebo pills for the first pill pack and have your period. Be sure to talk to your doctor about this before trying it to make sure you understand. You might get some spotting this way, but not a full period.

As for side effects, different pills affect different people in different ways. Like I said, it's impossible to predict before you try different pills. If you're particularly concerned about weight gain and sex drive, talk to your doctor and perhaps he/she can prescribe a pill that has a lower-than-average occurence of those side effects (still not a guarantee, but it might make you feel better). Personally, I have tried many different BC pills over the years and I have NEVER had any weight gain related to them. My sex drive is lower than it used to be, but I think that's natural due to getting older rather than the BC. Many people report acne as a side effect of BC pills (and some people report acne getting better - some pills have a good reputation for that), but I've never had that particular side effect, either (note that I've never had skin problems with or without BC, however). The one side effect that used to bother me consistently on many different pills was irritability/moodiness. I don't get that side effect anymore - maybe due to the pill I'm on now, or maybe due to my natural hormones changing as I got older. The one side effect that I seem to get right now is very light or nonexistent periods, which is fine by me. That used to bother me, as I liked seeing monthly evidence that I was NOT pregnant - but at this point, I'd be Ok with being pregnant if it happened, so it doesn't stress me out. I just take a pregnancy test if I missed my period and I'm planning to do any drinking, or go skiing or something.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

coleapril87 Posts : 24 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

oddly enough I didn't gain weight on the pill my sister did but not enough to quit, when I lost my insurance and couldn't take the same birth control I was on before I put on some weight and started breaking out bad. I was on yaz and loved is so much, I hope I can get back on it soon. I have really bad periods and it helped so much with the mood swings and my break outs and my terrible cramps.

Mav Posts : 9 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

You sound like me! I am also getting married in 6 months and also am waiting for sex...and also went to see the OBGYN about birth control pills two weeks ago! :) I had the same concerns as you. I have struggled with eating disorders in the past so gaining weight would kill me...I also didn't want to be really emotional or sick or anything. My doctor put me on Loestrin and so far I love it! No weight gain yet (only two weeks though) and not crazy emotional. It's a lower dose hormone pill so I think that helps control side effects. My doctor said skipping (as in throwing out the placebos and going right to the next pack) was not a problem with this pill. Lucky for me my period won't fall on my wedding or honeymoon with the schedule I have set up now on the pill!

Good luck and congrats! I hope your big day and your big night ;) are everything you dream they will be!

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

I started on the pill (Loestrin 24 Fe) about 10 months ago, and most of my side effects occured in the first 3 months. I did gain weight, about 5 lbs though but I gained in the places I've never gained weight, I usually gain in my legs and butt, but I gained in my stomach and waist. But again, only about 5 lbs. I only became nauceous (sp) one day and that was the 2nd day of being on it. I did however, get very depressed while on it. Like every day I felt I was PMSing (I get very depressed while PMSing). That could've been attributed to the fact that then-FH was serving overseas in the military, I was planning and paying for our wedding by myself while being jobless and quickly draining my savings at the same time having unknown fraudulent purchases on my account too. Very hectic and overwhelming. So it could've been the BC or just circumstances, who knows.
Right now I'm doing great on it, I love having regular periods that are much shorter and less painful (I have mine every 28 days so I can't tell you about the 4 month ones), mine were so irregular before, now I love being able to plan things around it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents!!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

allisonapp Posts : 10 Registered: 1/10/10
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: lovey80

Contrary to popular belief, birth control is effective with the first pill you take. The reason you would want to get on BC early, however, is to avoid irregular periods. While BC regulates you, spotting occurs throughout your cycle for the first couple of months, and you really wouldn't want that on your wedding day!

I haven't specifically heard that birth control would make you gain weight or lower your labido. It is very common with anti-depressants though. If you tell your doctor about those two concerns, he or she will work with you.

Edited by: allisonapp on Jan 13, 2010 11:48 AM

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: lovey80

I've been on the pill for five years for regulatory issues and for cramping and heavy flow. Going on the pill was the best decision ever. It took me and my doctor over 2 years to find the best pill for me. I am on the highest dose available in the states and I don't get nauseous or any side effects and I have a very weak stomach. Like PP said, it's hard to tell how the pill will affect you until you are on it.

My pills are normal BC pills, but my doctor advised me to not take the last week of sugar pills so I do not get my period. Right now I get my period 2-3 times a year, at the times when I choose. Spotting was prominent at first, but now is minimal since I've been on my pill for 3 years.

My doctor changed my dosage several times, starting with very low dose and working our way up. When I changed from Ogestrel low to Ogestrel, I did notice that my sex drive was lowered enough to be noticeable, but still not by a lot.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine