Is anyone else having a budget wedding?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

FutureMrsLevine Posts : 77 Registered: 12/28/09
Is anyone else having a budget wedding?
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 6:47 PM

We are having a budget wedding - like $2500 or $3000. I plan on doing everything myself and my family is doing things too - the cake, the invitations, i have a friend that owns a dress store and she is helping me out with the attire, but we are not having any luck with locations.Our wedding is in June so we are thinking an outdoor wedding near Deep Creek Lake MD! If anyone knows any places, please let me know! ('m so excited to actually be planning even though it's gonna be very tough!) lol

Edited by: FutureMrsLevine on Jan 1, 2010 10:59 AM

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Re: Is anyone else having a budget wedding?
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

I got married this past September and the total cost ended up being about $5000. The most important thing we did was cut the guest list!!! We had about 65 guests in all. We also had beer, wine and pop instead of a full bar, and had the wedding on a sunday when prices were a bit lower. I looked around a LOT for good deals and we lucked out quite a bit. DH's friend is a DJ so he gave us a deal and the bakery we went to was having a special with basic 3 tiered cakes for $99. And it was delicious!!!!! For our centerpieces, we took pint sized mason jars (which we already had) and tied blue ribbon around the neck, and got a single blue hydrangea for each. Total cost was around $5 per centerpiece and everyone thought they were adorable. We were just all about keeping it simple. :) Good luck and congratulations!

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

Dear Mrs L,

EVERYONE else is having a budget wedding. Are you kidding? In this economy? With this much unemployment? With so many people losing their house?

You are not alone, believe me. "Frugalistas" are in style now.

Do the best you can and hold your head high.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

I also got amrried in September and had a wedding at $5,000. We cut things, we kept things. Our guest list was 100. 85 RSVPd yes, and 75 showed. We had the buffet catered by Walmart, and they really did an excellent job. We didn't have alcohol, because neither DH nor I really drink and we didn't see the need to spend money on the stuff since we don't drink. We made CD compilations for 1/2 of our reception. We booked an awsome trio to play our ceremony and the eating half of the reception.

I bought linen look paper table cloths (and trust me, they were so much like linen my mom went BALLISTIC when she saw them as I had promised her paper table cloths. She had visions of having to wash and press the things while DH and I were honeymooning. Once she realized they were paper, she was really impressed. They looked stunning). I took those fake autumn leaves that you can get in bags and spread them across the table, along with the fall assortment of the hersheys miniature. I made my own centerpieces. This was a REAL find. At a yard sale, I found (and paid $8 for) 23 glass votive holders that were identical. They were an interesting shape. I made candles layered in our colors, set the candles on cute etched mirrors. And our table numbers were Dollar Tree frames with stuff we printed.

We did our own invites and made our own favors (most of them were taken too. CD mix. We have gotten a ton of compliments on them).

I had a few luckinesses... like I know a photographer and a florist who gave me a family discount. I used my church for the wedding and reception. Walmart ran out of the tray size I ordered and gave me a massive deal. (They gave me the amount of food I ordered. But, for example, I ordered 5 large trays of meats. They gave me 6 medium trays and charged me for 5 medium trays. I got a discount and I got the same amount of food.) Unfortunately, I WAY over ordered....but we also fed 20 homeless families with the untouched leftovers from my wedding. I'm good with that kind of "waste" because it wasn't. I had an awesome party, and contributed to the community too.

My cake was more pricey than Heidie's because I didn't have the shop around option that MOST brides will have. I had a specific cake requirement (DH is diabetic. I needed a baker who could do a diabetic cake). There were only two vendors who could accomodate, and we went with the lesser priced (who was also the WAY more Fab of the two).

We splurged on the things that were really important to us (ceremony musicians....and we debated for a couple of months whether we really should do it. The final test was a sort of "if they are avaliable on our date, we're booking." And if they weren't, we were not going to seek others. We wanted THIS trio)

You'll find there are a lot of low budget brides here. Our weddng was about $5,000... that includes honeymoon, rings, and dress. (but it looked like a much more expensive affair. Most people were surpirsed by all of the things WE made) But it really helpd that my husband had such an interest in the event. We truly planned it together, and made things together. I could not have put on the event alone.

Misty

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

and please forgive my typos. My keyboard is running kinda glitchy slow. Some I know I made and tried to correct (some of them are in an effort to correct and I just didn't go and check to make sure it corrected it correctly <G>)

Misty

InLoveWDRM Posts : 52 Registered: 12/3/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

I have had friends who have gotten married for alot less.
Honestly the smartest thing to do is just buy things when you
can. (not flowers of course lol) but my sister is having hers in
august 2010 so we are starting to look at the things to use
for centerpieces at the reception, buying a few things here and
there. by the time you have everything together it doesnt look like
you have spent that much. Especially seeing as you are waiting until
next year like me. I hope you can get the spot that you want!
I got lucky because where my Future inlaws live, they have a large
open back yard that has a backdrop of trees, its going to look great
as long as it doesnt rain. =( which with the trees as the backdrop
decorations can be minimal. which is also a huge money saver.
but dont think you're alone, alot of brides are doing things on a budget
i mean we aren't all millionaires. lol.
GOOD LUCK && CONGRATS!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ  Happily engaged to David McMahan on 12.24.2009 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Daisypath Wedding tickers

MegsandJ Posts : 23 Registered: 12/14/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: InLoveWDRM

Yes I am all about that budget! But really, I wanted all inclusive because I dont care to worry about table rentals and cake and photography, I just wanted a party and I pretty much found perfection! I found an all inclusive boat that holds 50 guest for 3 hours, with EVERYTHING included. AllI need to buy now is invitations (I found a kit that I can print myself for $30) and the dress. Im loving that this boat (on Lake Tahoe) has an amazing photographer, she deals with the best baker in Tahoe (or so they say haha, but Im a Celiac so I cant eat it anyways!) I get a wedding cordinater for the day, I chose to have an open bar (beer, wine sodas and water) for a bit extra and no centerpieces or favors or decorations...because really, when your venue is the beautiful Lake Tahoe, you just cant decorate ;)

FutureMrsMasloski Posts : 3 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

oh honey, I am right there with you on the budget!! Don't feel bad because you can't financially afford a "platinum" wedding, focus on you guys and this special day for both of you. At the end of the day all that is important is each other; not the money!

save the date

FutureMrsLevine Posts : 77 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsMasloski

Thank you for all the stories. That makes me feel a lot better. We actually found a really great wedding planner that is going to help us out as a wedding gift (no charge to us)! So hopefully together we can think of a few options!
http://www.ewedding.com/sites/rachaelandteddy/

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

Like Aunt said, we're ALL on a budget these days. ;-)

I'm also having an outdoor wedding. The cheapest places I found were parks: city, county, and state were all available and renting a pavilion at the city parks was cheapest, especially during a weekday. We also considered private land owned by friends, a barn designed for parties, our parents backyards, a strawberry farm or apple orchards, a youth camp on a lake, vineyards and breweries, a zoo, the community pool, retreat cabins, state natural and wildlife areas, a state and national forest, county campgrounds..... Most of those ideas FH vetoed right away but they were on the list as possiblities. In the end we decided on a nature preserve.

Good luck!

May2011beach Posts : 21 Registered: 12/30/09
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

We are having a budget wedding also, everything at or below 5,000! We are inviting 37 people and preparing for about 25 since we are having a destination wedding in savannah, ga! We are from atlanta so not too far!

jnrinne Posts : 1 Registered: 2/5/10
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

My friend is getting married at Deep Creek. They're using the pavilion a Swallow Falls and getting married on the platform overlooking Muddy Creek Falls. It's beautiful and great for a budget!

http://www.weddingmapper.com/plan/vendor/md/deep_creek_lake/ceremony_venues/swallow_falls_state_park/146539
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/swallowfalls.html

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

Park Pavilion weddings are a cute idea! You will have shade, concrete floor, picnic tables that you can decorate with throw away table covers (or you can even rent tables and chairs and ask the park commission to take away the picnic tables) You can even decorate the outside of the pavilion and the poles with tulle and such! You can have your guests dress "summer casual." I am sure you will find ways to have a beautiful wedding! The most important key to a great wedding is having the man you are marrying and your family and friends present for your big day!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And now I know why all the tree's change in the fall. I know you were on my side even when I was wrong. I love you for giving me you eyes. Standing back and watching me shine. I didn't know if you knew so I am taking this chance to say, 'I had the best day with you today."

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsLevine

I also wanted to say this (it may be tacky to some people, so judge all you want LOL, but we worked with what we had!!!)

My girlfriend got married 2 years ago and she had a backyard style reception at a friend of the family's house (they had a decent size backyard) She had about 70 people show up. The bride and grooms parents cooked the day before and had a serve yourself buffet with easy items like sausage and peppers, vodka rig, string beans (they got a bunch of canned string beans and doctored them up with herbs and spices), potatoes and rolls. They didn't have any china, they used heavy plastic plates with plastic silverware and red cups. They had canned coke and canned diet coke, bottled water, bottled iced tea, one type of beer (miller lite) and 2 types of wine (blush and white). She had asked all her close family if they could drop off any coolers they had so they have plenty of cold beverages (her family came through with 12 coolers) She had used old metal coffee cans and ordered 2 colors of carnations (white and pink), cut the stems so they were the same size and placed them in the can. She also went to a local community college and found a student who was studying photography to snap photos for 3 hours. She paid him a small tip but he was able to her pictures as credit for a class. An ipod served as music and she knew a friend with a 2 speaker sound system.

Her budget of 4k was getting to the max but they still didn't have a wedding cake. I offered to make them a 2 tiered cake (something they could cut into) It came out really pretty and i used fresh rose buds to decorate it. We set up a dessert table and (this is where you may judge) bought about 10 sheets of Entemens cakes (chocolate fudge and vanilla) and took them out of the packaging and left them in their foil pan. Her grandmother baked batches of chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies and my mother made enough brownies for every guest to have 2. The cute thing about this is her husband brings home an Entemens cake on special occasions because it was the cake that they served at their wedding. They can enjoy it any time they want to! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And now I know why all the tree's change in the fall. I know you were on my side even when I was wrong. I love you for giving me you eyes. Standing back and watching me shine. I didn't know if you knew so I am taking this chance to say, 'I had the best day with you today."

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

Bosox - I think that sounds like it was AWESOME. I would have NO problems with that.

My bridal shower - my MOH's Mom, who's Greek, cooked all the food - I had a great Greek bridal shower - LOVED it!!!! (I'm not Greek, this is my second family.)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine