Cake Topper Dilema....

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 9

RedCat Posts : 9 Registered: 8/2/09
Cake Topper Dilema....
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 6:56 PM

I am a zookeeper and my fiance is an animal rights activist/enthusiast. As such we are having a nature/animal theme (our tables are going to be different animals not numbers and each table will have a small animal trinket representing the animal i.e. Red Fox table will have a ceramic red fox statue that I painted as a kid). So my question is this, we were going to continue the theme for the cake topper useing our astrological signs... he is a leo (lion) and i am a taurus (bull). Problem is, a male lion and a male bull on top of a cake together at a heterosexual wedding....hmmmmm. No. However, I cant make his lion a female (ouch male pride for him) nor can I make my bull a cow (ouch female pride, and im doing so well on my wedding diet too!). Any suggestions??? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
THANK YOU!
May 15 2010!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Cake Topper Dilema....
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: RedCat

Well, one suggestion would be to change the nimals and not do astrological signs. Choose your favorite pet(s), animals that you think best represent your personalities, or (gasp) even human animals, like figures of yourselves.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: RedCat

Dear RC,

I think you are getting into trouble by mixing two separate interests: astrology and animal loving.

The animal issues are, I assume, the most important to you. I suggest you ditch the astrological signs and just pick animals that best reflect your personalities.

Besides, what would you have done with Libra the Scales?

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: RedCat

You could forego the wedding topper completely and put flowers on top. My florist actually made a "topper" that was a mini version of my bouquet. So we didn't have any brides, grooms, letters, animals, etc...just flowers. It really was one less thing to worry about.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: RedCat

You're over-thinking this. I really doubt that anybody at your wedding reception is going to notice or care that both animals on the top of the cake are male. But if you're worried about it, you can choose a lion and bull that are obviously astrological symbols (I don't know exactly what I mean by this, but there MUST be some sort of Leo and Taurus symbols somewhere that are obviously astrological figures rather than random animals). Or put a little sign next to the cake explaining that the figures at the top are your astrological signs. (How else would people know?)

Or, as others have suggested, you could skip the astrological sign thing (it does seem like you're trying to do too much. I'd stick with the animals. Just pick your favorite and choose a male and female) or have NOTHING on the top of the cake. We didn't have a cake topper. Nobody cared.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Stephy77 Posts : 109 Registered: 9/2/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

We had flowers on top of the cake with a bride and a groom dove perched on the flowers. I really liked the way it looked. Got the birds at a craft store really cheap they had other kinds of birds as well.

RebeccaOlds Posts : 2 Registered: 12/14/09
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 2:34 AM Go to message in response to: RedCat

Well, doves are always a good option or you could each choose your favorite animal and maybe have them wear the colors of your zodiac sign with maybe the zodiac zymbol included somewhere. Whatever you choose congradulations on your wedding and I hope your life together will be a happy one.

shakinros Posts : 30 Registered: 1/5/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: RedCat

I'd just use the lion and bull anyway. If you think they're meaningful, they're perfect. People will know by that point in the evening that you're a hetero couple, right? :)

alleak135 Posts : 54 Registered: 5/15/09
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

Why don't you go on etsy and have some customized for you and your fh? There are sellers on there that can paint some toppers to look like you and fh plus you can add animals to it as well. Maybe you can be in a your zookeepers outfit and fh can be in a shirt from his favorite organization. Just go on and do a search for custom toppers there's a ton of them.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: alleak135

You are REALLY overthinking this. Most people look at the topper and think "Pretty" or "cute". They don't go into super analysis mode about what the topper means to you and your relationship and what message you're trying to send to the guests.

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine