Anyone else get married during their student teaching?

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Geekluv Posts : 11 Registered: 12/9/09
Anyone else get married during their student teaching?
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 12:10 PM

Did anyone else get married during student teaching or their final semester in college? I'm considering doing this, and would like to get some advice from those who have or will be doing the same. My FH will have been done with college for about a year.

Love isn't hopeless. Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there was one time I got it right. - Homer Simpson @}----

EDIT : Thanks for the advice. I may change the date. I've had alot of people stressing me to keep with my date even though my student teaching was pushed back, but I have some other circumstances that may make it so I need to keep the date.

Edited by: Geekluv on Dec 14, 2009 5:56 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Anyone else get married during their student teaching?
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

Don't do it. While you're in school, your education should be your #1 priority, and it can't be while you're distracted due to wedding planning.

I did not get married while in school, but I know several people who got married during grad school (or just after graduation) and regret it. I also know many people who screwed up their final semester of college due to much less than planning a wedding. Nobody plans to screw up, but it's easier than you think. You don't need another distraction.

So if there's an alternative of getting married AFTER finishing school (far enough after that you're not planning while you're in school), do it. Another six months or a year isn't going to kill you - but screwing up and not finishing your education can seriously disrupt your future.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

Sweetie... I have an undergraduate degree in education and did student teaching... and it is very stressful! I actually loved it, and I am sure you will too! But doing a wedding and student teaching at the same time may very well push you right over the edge. Why not push your wedding at least six months after your student teaching? The thing is, student teaching is a wonderful experience within itself. I want you to enjoy it, learn from it, etc. without being distracted with wedding planning. Then, I want you to enjoy your wedding planning without being distracted by student teaching! Does that make sense?

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

Lori82 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

I majored in elementary education in college, so I've been through student teacher. My advice is don't have the wedding during your student teaching. That last semester will keep you busy enough without having a wedding to plan. You're going to be busy with lesson planning, grading papers, and doing whatever coursework there is. Unless you are going to have a very small wedding that would require very little planning, I think you will find yourself in over your head. My advice would be to push the wedding back 6-12 months after your student teaching unless there is some reason why you need to get married during student teaching. Even if you wait until June, you're still going to have a lot of planning to do during student teaching.

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

I'm an education major as well, and I personally would not do this. The PPs have all given sound reasons; no need for me to repeat it all.

However, I will say that I have a close friend who was pregnant during her senior year, had her baby over spring break, got married 3 weeks after graduation, and never missed a day of student teaching. Her grades didn't suffer, and she graduated with honors from a university with a strong ed. program. She is a remarkable individual, though, and I don't know anyone else who would have even had a chance at pulling all that off.

So, I suppose it depends on the individual but I certainly wouldn't advise it.

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine