I need to lose at least 50 pounds !!

Online Users: 1,302 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

Bridetobeshanac Posts : 11 Registered: 8/31/09
I need to lose at least 50 pounds !!
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 2:09 AM

Well, this is the thing, I am 5 foot 4 and 260 pounds. My fiance loves me the way that I am, and I know that, but I really want to look my best in my wedding dress. I do not look like I weigh that much because I am top heavy. I'm getting married in 8 months. Does anyone have ant ideas?

Geekluv Posts : 11 Registered: 12/9/09
Re: I need to lose at least 50 pounds !!
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 3:50 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

As someone who has both delt with weight from medication and eating, I have a good amount of experiance in this dept.

First, I want to throw the facts out there. More than 2 pounds a week of weightloss is not healthy. If you are losing more than 2 pounds a week, you are losing water and muscle weight and putting your body into starvation mode.

The easiest way to lose weight Healthfully is the following plan. Yes it will require a lot of strength, but if you really want the weight gone, and keep it off, this is what you need to do.

The first thing is to start drinking water. 8, 8oz glasses a day. No exceptions. Put it in your phone, buy a 64oz pitcher and keep it on the counter or at work. If your really bad at this now, you can put a few tablespoons of lemon or lime juice in it - lemon water is actually really good for your bladder. This will get your body hydrated and healthy which will help you in two ways - 1st your metabolism will kick into gear because your body can flush toxins more efficiently and 2nd of all, it will help keep your feeling full more often. Hunger and thirst sensors are sidebyside in the brain and because humans have a much longer satiation delay then we were orignally built for ( because of work keeping us in our work environments and not very close to water) sometimes the signals get confused so we eat a snack instead of getting a drink, thus consuming more calories.

The next is to stop drinking diet sodas. Heres the reason why - artificial sweeteners are not sugar, they are chemicals that your body just flushes out because it cannot be processed. Sounds good so far, but heres the hang up - artificial sweeteners still make your body produce insulin to breakdown the sweet that your brain tasted as sugar. This makes your blood sugar lower causing you to eat more food than you would have if you had the regular sugar. Save the artificial sweets for those with blood sugar problems, they really do not help your diet. Also don't buy diet cookies such as snackwells for the same reason. When you could be satiated with two reduced fat oreos and a glass of low fat milk, your instead eating 5 sugar free cookies, adding more calories, then eating more once the insulin kicks in.

The next step is exercise. I personally found that buying a pair of sketchers shape-ups was more effective than going to the gym everyday, but to each his own. Find something you will do for 30 minutes a day. Walking (especially with the shape ups they make your body work as if it were walking on sand, every muscle from your toes to your neck get exercised by those puppies, just start it slow and don't use them to run in!) is very good if you will do it every day. Even 30 minutes (of exercise, you can't include the time your listening to instructions) on a Wii fit will really help. If you Do join a gym, I strongly suggest Curves - they offer equipment that works by pulling only as much as you push, so you don't have to worry about over working yourself. They also offer incentives that other gyms do not. Some workplaces have fitness rooms, can you use an elliptical machiene before or after work?

Make sure to warm up and cool down 5 minutes before and after - if you slowly stretch before your workout and after, you will get 50% more good from it. It lowers your chance of injury and makes you burn more fat.

After you have the water and exercise going, its time to look at your diet. Eat a serving of something every three hours when you are awake. By spreading out the meals you are hungry less often and are boosting your metabolism. Start your day with eggs or peanut butter toast. Skip the juice, eating your fruit instead of drinking it lowers your sugar intake and increases your fiber intake which is helpful. If you do not eat breakfast, start. Women who eat a healthy breakfast are healthier, less likely to develop depression, and are more energetic (which helps with wanting to exercise!) Try to go for healthier options with snacks. Switch out chocolate cupcakes for a bag of Baked Lays. Start snacking on nuts, they are loaded with omega oils and protein which helps muscle function.

Up the dairy! 24 oz. of low fat milk each day can help you loose weight too. The calcium helps aid in the absorption of nutrients, making you need less food. You can also add yogurt and cheese to your diet, just make sure the cheese is low fat and that you only eat 1 serving size, or about the size of a ping pong ball. In place of ice cream use Rice Dream or Toffuti/ Silk frozen dessert, its much healthier than ice cream but satisfies the craving just as well.

Add vegetables and fresh fruits. Simple as that.

Start lowing the red meat intake - try to keep the beef to a once a week treat, Chicken is leaner, and if you can find some good recipes even swapping a real burger for a Boca burger once a week will help your heart and your waistline. Eat fish when you can, they offer omega acids, which are fantastic for your health.

Don't go too fast, or it won't work and when you get to modifying foods do it slowly. Never force yourself not to eat something. If your really craving cheesecake have cheesecake, but only half a slice. If you force yourself to not eat it you will just wind up binging on something worse later, or more of it.

Good luck, and remember no more than 2 lbs per week. Also before you start any exercise plan that involves cardio fitness, be sure to check with your doctor.

Love isn't hopeless. Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there was one time I got it right. - Homer Simpson @}----

Hope23 Posts : 13 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

I agree that drinking plenty of water and cutting out "diet" products is important if you want to start losing weight.

First off I'll start with your diet. Eat as many vegetables as you can, not only do they provide essential vitamins and nutrients but in some cases can burn calories as you chew! Also, to ensure that these don't lose most of their nutritional value, eat them raw or steam them. Boiling them will allow alot of the healthy goodness to go into the water and down the drain.

Your diet is about balance. You want to eat a range of healthy foods, its 'how much of which' that you have to watch.

I suggest making small changes such as eating more grilled chicken and fish (stay away from pan frying, it's too greasy!). Stay away from white pastas with hearty sauces and instead go for a whole grain pasta, add a couple of fresh, chopped cherry tomatoes some fresh parsley some olive oil and pepper and othe spices.

I would also suggest staying away from salty foods a few weeks before your wedding. Salt retains water. This will make you bloated.

Here are a couple of things that may look like healthy choices but aren't....
1. Chicken Ceasar Salad - Creamy salad dressings are a big no no when you're wanting to slim down. Plus the croutons and parmesan don't help either. Try grilled chicken on mixed greens and toss it in a balsamic vinegarette!
2.Yogurt with Fruit on the Bottom - You will be cutting 80 cals and half the sugar if you instead by plain yogurt and cut fresh fruit into it instead!
3.Tuna Melt - Plain tuna out of the can is healthy; tuna doused in mayo, shrouded in melted cheese is not. Both ham and roast beef are packed with protein and are satisfying and lean, which means you can eat the same size sandwich and save 400 calories and 35 grams of fat.

As you can see its all about balance and making healthy choices. Its really hard at times but you'll feel so much better by just changing a few things in your diet.

Also I can't stress enough that eating fast food is not a good idea....although I'm sure you already know that. Time to put willpower to the test!!

Another couple things I can tell you about exercise. Cardio Cardio Cardio!! Crunches tone your abdominal muscles but the fatty layers will still remain. Cardio burns fat. Running is great, jogging is good also walking on inclines will also help, but try to push yourself and test your limits. If you feel you won't get a good workout with self motivation, ask a good friend who you know will push you. Maybe someone from your wedding party would be interested in going along with you on your journey and you could support eachother along the way. Whatever works for you!

Also, cut out alcohol! Drinking doesn't help your cause.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Hope some of this stuff works for you! Good Luck!

Edited by: Hope23 on Dec 11, 2009 10:41 AM

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

You should be an exercise/diet coach! You have GREAT ideas and give wonderful advice!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

Bridetobeshanac Posts : 11 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: Hope23

Thank you so much for your advice. I definitley will try it. I have picked up or I should say picked back up LOL roller skating! I have been to the skating rink four times in two days ( my daughter had four birthday parties to attend at the only rink in town. So along with watching my food intake My daughter and I will be going skating friday and saturday at least once a day. (My daughter is five and just learned to skate so it wasn't hard to sway her! LOL) I figured that it wolud not seem like exercise so i wouldn't get bored. So whatdo you think?

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Dec 13, 2009 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

Wow, Geekluv and Hope gave some great advice! I think I'm going to save this thread for future reference!

Bridetobe: I think skating sounds like a great idea! It'll be a fun way to get in some cardio and spend time with your daughter.

I also wanted to piggyback on the suggestion about cutting out diet sodas -- you might want to watch which juices you drink too. I used to drink a lot of the Dole 100% juice varieties because I felt like I wasn't getting enough fruit in my diet (an 8 oz. glass of that stuff = 2 servings of fruit) BUT, they are loaded with sugar! I found that I was better off just forcing myself to eat an apple or a banana as a snack each day instead.

Good luck with everything!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Dec 13, 2009 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

Hi. I just want to add one more thing to what everyone else said. What I want to add has to do with your overall mentality or attitude while losing weight. Ive stuggled with weight for the past 17yrs of my life or so, and I think this is VERY important, and if you figure this out now rather than years later, youll save yourself years of frustration with losing, regaining, losing, regaining, etc.

So here it is: Do not make your wedding the reason or the goal for wanting to lose weight. It is okay for your wedding day to be a motivation for you, but do not make it your reason. Flip that switch inside your head thats telling you that you need to be a certain weight or size or specific dress size etc etc, and instead start telling yourself and believing that you are losing weight because you want to get healthy. When you lose a lot of weight and you use something like a wedding or reunion or whatever else as the reason you did it, what happens is you get on a high once you accomplish this goal, and then you slack, and slowly start regaining the weight. Happens all the time. This is why you see so many brides who losse what they want to lose for their wedding day, but then slowly gain it back plus more, over thenext /first year of marriage. This happened to me. I have been losing and gaining weight for my first 3yrs of marriage, and I finally figured out that it needs to truly be about my HEALTH in order for me to succeed. If you are telling yourself "I need to get into this dress for this day" or whatever else, once that passes, your motivations also passes. If you tell yourself "I want a healthy life. I want a good heart rate, good cholesterol levels, blood pressure, I want to live a long healthy life and have a strong heart and bones", then you always have that motivation throughout your life. Trust me, it helps to start thinking of it that way.

Now, if you need some help with keeping motivated, please come on over to my "Overweight but Inspired" Room , under Fitness Section. There are great girls over there, and we do our own version of the Bigger Loser in the room with one another, like a contest. Its really fun, and thenext one starts in January. Right now we are trying to recruit people for the contest, so if you come into the room, tell them Kelley sent you!:)

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

Rollerskating is a great way to get back into an exercise routine (if you haven't been exercising regularly), but remember that you need to raise your heart rate for the 30min of cardio exercise to help you lose weight.

So, for example, taking a casual walk for 30min is a good first step to becoming active, a vigorous walk for 30min that raises your heart rate is necessary to increase metabolism and really help you burn calories.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Issa22 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/21/09
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

Hey! I really know where you're coming from. I'm 5'4" and 250 and am hoping to lose weight for my wedding. My goal is 75 pounds, but that's only because I have a year and a half.

What's really helped me is the Livestong.com website. They have an AWESOME and FREE calorie counter. You would be surprised what keeping track of that will really do for you. And its really easy because you just start typing in what you've eaten and it brings up all the different versions and you choose what it is that you ate. You can also put in activities such as cleaning and how long you did it and it will calculate approximately how many calorie's you've burned.

If you join, look me up! You can do a search for Melissa Retman and I should be there. Good luck!

dickerson2be Posts : 19 Registered: 12/8/09
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: Issa22

These are all such good suggestions! I never really knew why diet drinks weren't that good for you...I just knew they were bad lol.

I agree with counting calories to look at what you're eating...I lost a good amount of weight (about 7 lbs in 2 weeks) by just eating the reccommended 2000 calories per day because I was eating almost double that! I had never counted calories before, and to actually see that I was eating 3500 calories on average really helped me put things in perspective! A really great site to help you count calories is myfitnesspal.com. they are incredibly supportive and have a lot of great resources. Also, sparkpeople.com is good too, but I prefer that site for the recipies and meal plans that it offers.

Along with counting your intake calories, you will also want to monitor the calories you burn for exercise. To do that you, I reccommend getting a heart rate monitor that counts the calories burned.

Another thing to think about is when you will be purchasing your dress. The last thing you want is to lose/gain a considerable amount of weight after you have had your dress altered to fit you perfectly, and then on the big day it doesn't fit. I would see how long it will be before you plan on purchasing/altering your dress and set your gols according to that. After you have reached your goals or purchased/altered your dress you can work on maintaining what you worked so hard for!

Good luck and congrats!

Lindsey

The future Mrs. Dickerson

DNAmindy Posts : 47 Registered: 7/24/09
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

To me, dieting is all about the choices you make in the moment. Like..if you are hungry and it's lunch time and you need to grab something fast, you might go to a place like Wendys. You have a choice - do you get a medium #1 combo with fries and a Coke (1090 calories, 41g of fat), or do you get an Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich, a small chili, and a bottle of water (530 calories, 13 grams of fat)? It's dinnertime and you want a big crunchy salad. Do you put a handful of cheese, bacon bits, and ranch dressing on your salad, or do you put tomatoes, cucumbers, a sliced hardboiled egg, and fat free low cal vinegrette dressing on your salad?

In my opinion, those daily choices are not only the hardest part of dieting, they're also the most important. You just have to tell yourself you're worth it, get your willpower ready to go, and then say no to unhealthy foods and YES to making the healthiest choice you can, each time.

Another tip that other people have mentioned - drink lots of water. Replacing all your usual drinks (except some lowfat milk or soy milk) with water saves a ton of calories, especially if you usually drink sodas and juices. And the best part is that after a week or two of drinkin gprimarily water...you will start to crave it and nothing else will really quench your thirst. I'll get a soda once a week or so and it never fails - as soon as I'm done the soda, I'm even thirstier than I was before and I just want a huge bottle of water!! Keep bottles of water in the fridge so they are easy to grab and go!

Lastly...don't deprive yourself! Always leave enough room in your day for a little bit of chocolate ;-)

Good luck!!! You can do it!

Edited by: DNAmindy on Jan 10, 2010 9:36 PM

LorettaH Posts : 10 Registered: 4/21/11
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 12:52 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

If you really want to lose 50lbs before your wedding then it is your time to start joining Yoga class because it is one of the most effective way to burn fats and stay fit.

opc | natural blood pressure support

royalautogas Posts : 1 Registered: 5/20/11
Posted: May 20, 2011 9:24 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

I lost 40 pounds in 60 days by drinking Aloe Vera juice! It helped my metabolism to burn the fats. I haven't gained weight 1 year now!

Edited by: royalautogas on May 20, 2011 9:25 AM

Edited by: royalautogas on May 20, 2011 9:26 AM

Edited by: royalautogas on May 20, 2011 9:29 AM

Royal Auto Gas

madhulika Posts : 2 Registered: 5/26/11
Posted: Jun 6, 2011 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobeshanac

Hey :) I just found this awesome article on "the science behind weight loss". I got it from dietnation.com but I'll paste it here to save you the trouble:

"Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day to maintain performance of normal activities, such as walking, breathing, sleeping, and thinking. Depending on your size, your body will require a different amount of calories each day.

On the flip side, if you eat too few calories your body will think its starving. This phenomenon goes back to the days of the caveman, when cave people werenít really sure when or where they would find their next meal. The body learned to store excess calories as fat for future use. Well, we no longer live like that as we, fortunately and unfortunately, have unlimited access to food thanks to modern conveniences. What this means is, if youíre not eating enough calories your body will store the calories it does get as fat rather than trying to burn those calories. That sounds counterproductive, and it is. Thatís why itís important to feed your body regularly with the right amount of calories from the right sources.

One pound of fat equals about 3500 calories of stored energy. To lose weight you need to eat fewer calories each day or get your butt to the gym and burn off those calories. Itís that easy - you donít need to be a mathematician to lose weight, you just need to start taking a look at some of your daily habits. Losing weight could mean shaving an extra 250-500 calories off your daily intake. Start your morning with a tall latte? Just one Vanilla Latte could pack an extra 250+ calories onto your daily caloric intake. By simply substituting your latte with regular coffee or green tea you could reduce your caloric intake substantially. If you want to try more exercise, calorie-burning activities such as walking to work, going for a jog with a friend, or taking the kids on a bike ride are all fun and easy ways to increase your daily activity level.

It is also important to remember that you need to eat the right calories from the right sources to lose weight and to maintain your weight loss. A meal of jelly beans and ding dongs that equals your daily caloric needs will not help you lose weight because these types of food are not nutrient sources that your body can use efficiently.

Eating right is a vital component of any weight loss plan, but it's also very important to ensure that you get enough exercise. Combine aerobic exercise activities (also know as cardio) like walking, jogging or cycling with weight training (it doesn't have to be anything too intense, but it helps a lot to lift some weights) to maximize your weight loss."

jeanette2 Posts : 2 Registered: 6/8/11
Posted: Jun 8, 2011 8:25 PM Go to message in response to: dickerson2be

I totally feel at home here. I'm getting married soon and I gained 10lbs but I'm trying the weight loss caps I found online and I lost 7 lbs I'm my first 1 1/2 weeks. Only 8-12pm more Togo. At this rate my weight will be off next month.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine