All the "boring" planning no one talks about?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Geekluv Posts : 11 Registered: 12/9/09
All the "boring" planning no one talks about?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 7:41 PM

Is it just me or is it difficult to find information about the "boring" planning such as changing over health insurance, car insurance, getting the license, changing names, social security, passports, moving information etc? I'm trying to think of all this other stuff I will need to take care of but I'm quite clueless on the when, where, and how of all of these. Any advice would be fantastic, I just wish someone would compile a list of all the other important things that are involved in getting married.

Love isn't hopeless. Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there was one time I got it right. - Homer Simpson @}----

Vegas2010Bride Posts : 2 Registered: 3/26/09
Re: All the "boring" planning no one talks about?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

I saw this NY Times article posted somewhere and saved it for when I have to do the same:
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/the-right-way-to-change-your-name/
hope this helps you on your massive paper legal "battle"

in the beginning stages of DIY , so far so good
Bio
Blog & DIY
August 2010

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

It really all just involves a lot of phone calls. Talk to your HR dept abuot the insurance. And then you will have to call your car insurance company if you want to add him or something. You dont HAVE to add each other to anything though. We didn't for a while...until my car insurance was up, he added me to his policy. It's also a good idea to call your car ins. company and see if it will save you money to add him, or save you money not to. it depends.

The name change stuff is pretty easy. Get a few copies made of your marriage license and hit up the SS office. Then from there you can hit the DMV to get a new license. It took me a good year to got to the DMV, so none of it is time sensitive.

Passports are different. You'll need to get a new picture taken and send your old one away w/ your marriage license and fill out a form. It's been over 2 yrs of marriage for me, and I still haven't done that. Most utility companies just require a phone call, and maybe a fax of the license.

None of it is complicated, it just takes up a lot of time....which is why I still have my maiden name on half my stuff.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

You're right about the nitty-gritty details being boring, but they're not really complicated. Just contact the people/ agencies involved. E.g. health insurance: human resources or your insurance company. Passports: details can get done at the post office. Change of address: same as any other time you move. Pain in the arse, but doable.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks for the info on passports NJ and Myra! Hadn't thought of that, but oh so important when you're moving abroad less than two months after the wedding and name change.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

People don't really talk about it because there really isn't much to say on the subject. You simply make the phone calls or go in person to get things changed.

1) Check the name change laws in your state. Most states require a certified copy of your marriage license (which you won't get until a few weeks after the wedding) and a SS card in the new name to change your license, but I've talked to several people on here who have said that they needed to change their driver's license before SS card in their state.
2) Stand in line at the SS office to get your name changed on your card.
3) Stand in line at the DMV to get your name changed on your license, car registration, etc.
4) Call your HR dept to get your name changed on payroll, insurance, 401Ks, badges, email, etc. If you intend to change your insurance so that you're both covered under one person's policy, you generally have 30 days after a Qualifying Life Event (such as a wedding) to do so - but you can do this before changing your name.
5) Then start calling your bank, creditors, phone company, etc. In most cases, you can change it over the phone, but some might require you to mail in some paperwork.
6) Passports are easy - you just have to send it in along with the required paperwork (check online to see what you need to send) and they send you a new one. Remember that you won't be able to do this until your name is legally changed, however, so if you're traveling out of the country for your honeymoon, make the reservations in your maiden name.

All of this is EASY - it's just a pain in the butt to do all the paperwork and make the relevant phone calls. Then just keep an eye on things and make corrections when necessary. The important things, however, are your SS card, driver's license, bank accounts, and HR dept. Don't stress out over whether your phone bill is still in your maiden name - who cares about that? It can wait until you get around to it!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Geekluv Posts : 11 Registered: 12/9/09
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

Thank you! I think I have it all figured out now :)

Love isn't hopeless. Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there was one time I got it right. - Homer Simpson @}----

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine