Need advice on patience

Online Users: 1,328 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

FutureMrsCarrol... Posts : 19 Registered: 10/6/09
Need advice on patience
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 5:08 PM

Hi, my BF and I have been together for over 5 years and we have decided to wait to get married until after Nursing School, but he has said he wants to get engaged way before then. Him and I have been through so much together for the past year and I have waiting a long time for him to get serious. Now that he is serious I am so anxious and excited to get engaged. I know there is a perfect time but I want so bad for now to be the time! I know that sounds really immature but I do. I love him so much and we know we are getting married and I know he is going to propose but I am just anxious. Has anyone been in a situation similar to mine? Do you have any advice as to how I can be patient? I would really appreciate it. I want to just be excited but I feel I don't have a right to until I am officially engaged. Which to me is when he asks me to marry him and starts calling me his fiance, until then I think him and I both say we are just dating.

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."

-Robert Frost 

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Need advice on patience
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

I've been in your shoes and know how you feel. I waited 6yrs before I got engaged. My advice it to take it one day at a time. When the moment is right the time will come. If you two have talked about it then you know he will propose. So just hang in there :) Enjoy this moment because once it happens it's gone lol.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

There's a reason why they say that patience is a virtue. Like many other things in life that you're looking forward to, just take it one day at a time and enjoy what you have now because you'll never get that back.

I know the feeling. Not only did we wait to get engaged until we had been dating 7 years, but I've had many long-term goals that I've been impatient to finish. Even though you're eager to move forward with the next step in your life, take a deep breath, relax, and remember to enjoy what you have now before it changes. Even though you anticipate that change to be for the better, it will be different from what you have now and you'll never get this time back. Enjoy it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

FutureMrsCarrol... Posts : 19 Registered: 10/6/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thank you for your advice, I am learning to just sit and relax. I am happy for the both of you and hope all if well with your wedding plans!!! :)

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."

-Robert Frost 

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 8:16 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

Thanks! Keep us updated :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

SexyNegra Posts : 8 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

Hey there, I'm in da same boat kinda., my boyfriend told me he's marrying me and we've already started the planning out the wedding and the whole, obviously he's not going to tell me when he plans on proposeing all i know is it's going to happen anytime b/w here to May, 2010..so am I anxiou? heck ya!! I cant wait..i'm counting the days until he calls me his fiance!

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: SexyNegra

My situtation was similar. We had talked about getting married and even started looking at rings at least a year before we actually got engaged so I knew it was coming. I too was soooo excited. So I don't think you sound immature at all, just young and in love, and thats a wonderful thing.

Just relax and it will happen soon enough. No matter how excited you think you are now, its so much more exciting when it does happen. So you have that to look forward to.

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 5:14 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

Hey i think its normal, after five years of being together its pretty normal thing. I think you should just relax and take things as they come.
pearl jewelry store

DanielaR22 Posts : 1 Registered: 9/1/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

i was in your shoes! i felt like me and my fiance talked about marriage, weddings, honeymoons, etc. so much that i was almost depressed we were't engaged yet!! if you know its going to happen, let it happen. dont keep expecting it everytime you guys go out.. its better to be surprised.....

amylvsmike222 Posts : 6 Registered: 11/15/09
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

Me & my boyfriend have been together for almost 5 years, and I am in almost the same boat - except - he bought the ring last Monday

and I just have to wait for him to pop the question. People are telling me to be patient but it's just really hard. I getcha girl, I guess we just gotta tough it out!!!!

darylicel Posts : 28 Registered: 11/23/09
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

love comes with great package and i believe that patience will stand it all. it could be a bit of like very tiring to wait for a perfect proposal but when you have the patience to wait, everything will seems to go on to the rightful place. i myself believe that if you really love the person you will be willing to take a bit of your patience, then everything will be alright. just take things one at a time... good luck to you...
Wedding venue in Berkshire Country House Weddings

Yas10 Posts : 5 Registered: 12/8/09
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCarrol...

HI, I read your post and I wanted to tell you that I was on the same boat until 4 months ago when my BF proposed to me on a family trip. One of the things that I did to calm my anxiety was to give him some hints on rings that I liked, and see what reaction I got. Now I am sure some of you would not like to push it and would like it to come 100% from him. But HEY, if the mountain doesnt come to you, you have to come to the mountain....
So, a friend of mine show me this website that basically you can look at designer rings and send a hint to your BF, so its kindda cool because its like an innocent hint... I was with my BF for 3 years, and nothing...after 3 months that I sent the hint, we went on a family trip and he proposed with one of the rings that I sent him...it was magical.
try it, you have nothing to lose.
good luck!!

the site is www.rings4love.com

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Yas10

3 identical posts in 3 threads.... hmmmmmmmmm.... can we say VENDOR?

Yas10 Posts : 5 Registered: 12/8/09
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Actually not, I read the 3 messages from 3 different people, and so I decided to respond to the 3 people in the same situation. Why not try to help people in the same situation I was in.
Anyway, you can believe what you want but I dont need to help any vendor, I just want to help period...
and If you want I can show you a picture of the ring I got on my hand...

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: Yas10

Yas - Well it is typical vendor behavior to go to old threads and respond with identical messages.

I thought the same thing with your post - yep it may be wrong - but it is the first thought that comes to mind when the exact same reponse shows up in three different threads by someone with only 3 posts. Most of us use the Current Thread page, so it's really obvious when a response has been pasted.

Granted - it's REALLY annoying when the WHOLE Current thread is one vendor in a bunch of threads - 25 or so posts.

It gets old.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine