Ideas for an all white wedding reception?

Online Users: 1,297 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

shareensfabwedd... Posts : 28 Registered: 10/28/09
Ideas for an all white wedding reception?
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 3:40 PM

I LOVE the idea of an all white wedding reception. I mean white linens white flowers, white china, crystals. The ceiling of my venue will be draped in white fabric giving it a tent like feel. Any ideas on how to pull off an all white reception without it looking bland?

Also would you say it is inappropriate to ask the guests to wear white as well?

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Re: Ideas for an all white wedding reception?
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: shareensfabwedd...

I think you'd need some sort of color contrast. I did a google image search for "all white wedding" and this pic sort of illustrates what I mean:

http://www.marconimuseum.org/gallery/images/Wedding%20w%20White%20Dancefloor.JPG

There's some contrast with the greenery in the flowers and the silver table overlay, etc... but I think an all white wedding can be tastefully done. I especially like that white dance floor :)

As for asking the guests to where all white -- I wouldn't put "must where white" on the invitation or anything. To me, that's just tacky. I guess you could probably spread the word that you're planning an "all white" theme and let the guests decide how to interpret that information. I'm sure the other posters on here who are more versed in wedding ettiquette will give you a better response to that question!

Good luck with the planning!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

Edited by: SweetSurrender on Nov 15, 2009 4:01 PM

shareensfabwedd... Posts : 28 Registered: 10/28/09
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSurrender

Thanks I thought it would be inappropriate to ask guests to wear white but I thought I would ask anyway. This is stressful

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Nov 15, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSurrender

You cannot/should not TELL guests what colors to wear. However, you can certainly let them know of your theme and make a very light suggestion on your invitation; such as "White Wedding Theme - wearing white is encouraged!"; but thats as far as I would go with it. In the end, your guests will wear whatever they want to wear.

As far as decor goes, I agree with the previous poster who said you should add at least one other element or light color to the white palate. Otherwise it may look like everything is washed out. You can do 80% white , but maybe pair it with light silver, light ice blue, or light lavendar. You dont have to put a lot of the secondary color everywhere; just enough to give contrast to all the white.

I think it will look really elegant and beautiful if done correctly.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

darylicel Posts : 28 Registered: 11/23/09
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 3:59 AM Go to message in response to: shareensfabwedd...

having a white wedding reception is the traditional way to celebrate after the ceremony. it is calm, serene, clean, beautiful and very solemn. if you are going to ask me, white wedding reception is my ideal way of having the celebration together with my family and friends. it is ok to ask on proper way if you would like your visitors to go into your wedding wearing white as long as you do it properly.
Wedding venue in Berkshire Country House Weddings

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: shareensfabwedd...

I basically did a white wedding as far as decor went. But as kelley suggested I used a blue topaz as an accent. The color was used sparingly. The blue popped and made the white look sophisticated instead of bland. If u would like to see pictures you can look in my profile.

Cherish Yesterday, Dream for Tomorrow, Live Today!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: shareensfabwedd...

I can send you lots of pictures of all-white or almost all white weddings. Just contact me through my website and I'll send some right out to you. As far as your guests go, I wouldn't even mention it. I'm just not fond of even a hint of that kind of requirement, especially since many peop;le (guys especially) don't own all-white clothing. Even if you just "encourage" it, many people will feel obligated to buy white clothing or self-conscious if they don't.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: shareensfabwedd...

Sexy Deep Sweetheart with Spaghetti straps Knee-length Organza Cocktail Dress
Save up to 44% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $78.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sexy-deep-sweetheart-with-spaghetti-straps-kneelength-organza-cocktail-dress-p-32631.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine