Tacky or not?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

coleapril87 Posts : 24 Registered: 11/11/09
Tacky or not?
Posted: Dec 3, 2009 11:09 PM

Me and my fh are both big outdoors people, he is a hunter, he lives it. We are planning on having an outdoor wedding, and I'm needing a little fashion advice. I wanted to do my bridesmaids outfits as brown with camo sashes. Is this tacky or distasteful?
Thanks for your opions.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: Tacky or not?
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 8:37 AM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

If that's what you want to do then I say go for it! If your worried it's going to be over the top though, you could always do brown dresses with maybe a hunter green sash.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

I really like MrsDJLeo's advice! Brown BMs dresses with a hunter green sash would still give you that outdoorsy feel but not too over-the-top. BUT this is your wedding, I'm sure that your family & friends know you well enough to appreciate the camo sashes. Do whatever you & FH like.
Me personally, my vote is with MrsDJLeo!

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Honestly,

I think people need to stop worry about being "tacky!"
Whether or not something is tacky is a matter of opinion--who cares what we think is tacky? None of us are invited.

And also, you shouldn't really care about what guests find too tacky either.

I love "tacky!" I think it's goofy and fun.

You said that your fiance is a hunter and that he lives it--you didn't really say that you live it, you just said you were outdoorsy. Now, if you want camo (not just your fiance) for your bridesmaids--just do it. Don't worry about if a person thinks it's tacky. You will feel a lot more comfortable on your wedding day if you just go with what both you and your fiance want.

I may very well wear my grey converse and vintage sunglasses (not while walking down the aisle, want FH and I to legit be able to see each other.)

I only have one case when I say that tackiness is not okay--and that's when it's a matter of etiquettte.
Putting down a dress code, putting your registry on the invites--that's tacky and that's not okay.

Wearing a camo sash on a bridesmaids dress--what's wrong with that?

Would I do it? No. But who cares?

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I agree with BTS. Most cases people want their wedding to be remembered by guests. Therefore having brown dresses with a camo sash would be something that would stick into my head for a very long time because it's usually out of the ordinary. You should definatley do what you want and not worry about what other people want or might think about it. After all it is your wedding. Just remember to have fun with the planning as well, people often forget that is a huge part of the wedding.

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

I think weddings are the perfect time to let you and your FH's personalities shine. After all, the entire day is completely about the two of you! I think this is a fabulous idea and the perfect way to capture the essence of who you are as a couple.

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

No I don't live to hunt, but I don't want the wedding to be all about me and for fh to get lost amoungst all the details. I want it to be about what we both want. He loves the idea because its what he loves incorporated into what we love and thats each other. I don't think that camo is the most tasteful thing in the world but I know since its something both our families do and something our wedding parties are familiar with. Its also unique, I've never seen it done. Well Ive looked online and saw some different camo weddings but I don't want it to be the main focus just a detail. I really want to do it but I don't want anyone walking away saying that was trashy or how redneck was that. I know its my day and its suppose to be what I want but at the same time I want everyone to have fun and enjoy themselves instead of spending the day mocking me. By the way my maid of honor loves the idea. I just don't know what to do. I did look into doing the brown dress with green sash but fh said it just doesn't have the same feel to it. Thanks for all the advice.

mdarcy Posts : 107 Registered: 2/8/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

If your bridesmaid are paying for the dresses, it might be delicate to ask them if they like the idea of wearing the camo sash. If they are hesitant, maybe you could have the ribbon on the boutonnieres and your bouquet, or even on your cake to be camo. This way, he would still have the details he likes, but in a more subtle way. On the other hand, if everybody likes the idea of the camo sash, you could go with that.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

You said it yourself--you love the idea.

Then just do it.

Sarahew88 Posts : 9 Registered: 11/12/09
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 6:26 AM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Maybe this example will help you make up your mind.

Yes, our weddings should be what we want. In my personal opinion, we should keep "tomorrow" in the picture.

For example.

In 1994, 15 years ago; a young bride in my church went to pick our her China patterns. At the time, the "Southwest" theme was popular. She chose a very expensive label/manufacturer of China with the Southwest them.

15 years later she has China with howling coyotes and cactus in her China cabinet.

She says she cant exchange or get new or get rid of, because this is her "wedding China". She hates it now and lives with the knowledge that she is stuck with it.

It is your choice, and no one can predict if they will look back 15 years from now and know if they will love or hate a camo wedding.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone oh Lord; make me to dwell in SAFETY."

Psalms 4:8

I scratched this onto every wall of each living unit I was in while deployed.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: Sarahew88

I was thinking something like this but brown and tea length. I looked online and saw several camo weddings that were just way to over the top. But I think something like this is done tastefully. the only thing that will be camo on me on my wedding day is my garter and the ribbon on my bouquet.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: Sarahew88

We have seen camo wedding dresses that have been made very elegant and classy, based on the design. What the PP said is true, you don't want to be embarassed by your wedding pictures in 25 years... but you also don't want to look at them in 25 years and say "That is so not who we are". A TOUCH of camo is not tacky. It's not like you're putting everyone hin hunt gear and having the gals carry bows and arrows in lieu of bouquets.

GO FOR IT!!

Misty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I am with Cat. A touch of camo here and there could be really nice and reflective of who you both are.

In regards to what one PP said, a sash can be changed out - i.e. the BM's could buy a camo sash but still have a brown sash that goes with the dress. That way they can wear the dress someplace else if they chose. So I would not worry about the BMs' wearing a brown dress with a camo sash.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

The OP has gotten some good advice and picture inspiration, so I wanted to add to what Brighter was saying about describing a wedding as tacky with this blog post: http://offbeatbride.com/2008/07/tacky

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 1:39 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Thank you. That was just what I needed to hear. I really think it put things in perspective and pretty much said the same thing you ladies have already told me. Thanks so much for all your opinions and the help. I really appreciate it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine